Time to say Goodbye to Pinky!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is with much reluctance, and just a lil bit of sadness, that i must announce that "Pinky" is about to be sold.....dragged my butt into the local Newspaper's classified ad's section today to place an ad to sell "Pinky"....possibly one of the most "Famous" FZ6's around!

I hear you say, "Famous", why??? Wel because "Pinky" started out life as a race bike, owned by Yamaha Racing Team Australia, and ridden quite publicly, first by Ken Wootten, editor of Australian Motorcycle News in 2007, and as such was the subject of regular magazine updates on both the rider, and the bike's progress in the FZ6 Cup.

Then in 2008, "Pinky" was ridden by Amy O'Mara, and once again was the subject of regular updates on the season's progress of both rider and bike in Rapid Bikes magazine!

The bike was dubbed Pinky, because it was painted Hot Pink, first of all, cause the major sponsor of the bike in 2007, was Hog's Breathe Cafe, and then in 2008, the bike was used as a promotional, and awareness tool, for the Breast Cancer Foundation in Australia!

Since i bought Pinky from Yamaha Racing team Australia in early 2009, the bike has had a much less public life...it has been raped of all it's FZ6 cup bling - Ohlins rear shock, Ohlins equipped front forks, Ohlins steering damper, Woodcraft clip-on's, Valtermoto rearsets, Fibreglass rear single seat unit, GYTR single race pipe, Fren Turbo braided lines, power commander, and has had it's old pink tank painted silver....

In fact the only Pink part of the bike that still exists, is the race fairing that came on the bike...

The Power Commander is now on Kriswithak's bike in Sydney. The single seat unit is now on my other FZ6....modified to fit an FZ1 tail light into for road use, painted gloss black, and reinforced with carbon fibre to help deal with the rigours of being on a road bike long term. All the Ohlins stuff, except the steering damper, is now on my other FZ6, as are the Woodcraft clip-on handlebar's. The Valtermoto rearsets sit in my shed, along with the GYTR race pipe and Fren Turbo braided lines, in readiness for use in another project.

When i bought the bike, it came with all of it's unused, and brand new "road gear" in several boxes....all of this now lives on the bike, as i never got to race it myself, as the FZ6 Cup died the year i bought the bike!

So to cut a massive story slightly short, the bike now has 15000km's on it's dials, has been high sided at the track, been punted around in the Adelaide hills, with most of it's FZ6 CUP gear still attached! :rockon:, and in it's latest incarnation as a fully OEM FZ6N, punted around Tasmania 2 up, for a 4500km tour!

I have had the front sprocket nut fall off in the middle of nowhere, had the radiator cap cause me a great deal of concern in the middle of said Tour of Tasmania...Yes Humpy, Kazza, and Prebstar, it was the radiator cap that caused me all that drama in Tassie!!!! Doh! :eek:

As the bike stands right now, it is probably in the best condition it has ever been in....still goes as hard as it ever did, looks like a milion dollars, and is in immaculate mechanical and cosmetic condition....but it has to go to make way for my newest obsession's, a TRX850, which i am faithfully restoring to FULL original OEM spec (except for uprated brakes) for use as my everyday bike, and soon, a CBR1100XX Blackbird...for 2 up touring duties!

This makes me sad, because it is a great bike, and i rode it last night, and as usual, it made me doubt my intentions of selling it once again, as it has done many times before, cause an OEM FZ6N is truely an awesome bike to ride!!!

But it has to go!!!

So, this is my goodbye thread, "Pinky" how i will miss you so. :(

Pinky in 2007 with Ken Wootton in the saddle at Symonns Plains in Tasmania.
View attachment 34394

Pinky in 2008 at Mallala with Amy O'Mara in the saddle.
View attachment 34395

How Pinky looked the day i got it home to my joint.
View attachment 34396

With "Wolfy the Wobbler" in the saddle at Mallala!
_MG_0465-1.jpg

View attachment 34398

View attachment 34399

Set up for 2 up touring...
View attachment 34401

As an everyday bike with Leo Vince pipes, TCP seat Cowl, the pink tank painted silver, and new wheels....
View attachment 34402

:(

Last edited:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with the sale, and hopefully whoever buys it will love the bike the same way you do. I'm sure you won't have any issues in that regard, as Fizzer riders are all good to go.

Goodbye Pinky!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bloody radiator cap...lol. (Told you so):BLAA:.

At least we know the cooling system is in sweet condition for the new owner...lol.:rolleyes:

I've gotten to see this bike launch you into orbit on a straight bit of track at relatively low speed, I've gotten to watch it give you carp going across to Victoria, and I've gotten to help give it a scrub-a-dub-dub, and I've gotta say, it's come out of all the abuse pretty freaking well...lol.:BLAA:

And I like the new colour too.:thumbup:

Can't wait for the TRX to hit the road though.:D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck on the sale Jamie! I remember when you first got Pinky.

Saw a Blackbird the other day. Nice bike! The owner loves it! :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the well wishes people....I should start getting phone calls in a about 4 hours.....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes! those systems are controversial. Wonder how much of a deal it is to make them standard?

The linked brakes are actually one of the things that attracted me to the CBR1100XX, because as it would be a touring mule, the links brakes make life for a pillion so much nicer, no real crazy diving under hard braking in 2up sports riding mode!!! that's gotta be better than banging nuggets...

In fact, i use the front & rear brake together quite a lot anyway, so this is no real big change for me...in fact it makes my job as rider, a little bit easier, when touring...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Would still like to get a Suzuki SV1000 though...they are one sweet as silk bike...that motor! :rockon:

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, tonight, a young man came around to look at the bike, and fell in love immediately....gave me a deposit, and is coming back Friday to pay the rest....

So, it looks like "Pinky" is going! :(