time to buy..... hold out for 07+ or settle for 05?

knaffie

Reaction score
Visit site
It was in the 80s here last week and I've got the itch to buy. Also looking forward to parking my thirsty Durmax and saving some money on fuel!

There are a few 05s near me with low (under 5000) miles in great shape for fair prices ($3500-ish). I've been watching for quite a while and 07+ bikes are pretty rare.

So my question (mostly for the people who have ridden/owned both) is just how much "better" are the 07+ bikes. I've read the reviews, but I know magazines tend to exaggerate things sometimes. If I were to get used to a 05, would a 07 feel entirely different?

Money isn't really an issue, but at the same time, I would rather put $2K in aftermarket accessories into an older bike than put that $2K+ into a newer one that would be marginally better.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
First off welcome!!! I have a 04 and have recently rode a 08, the main difference other than looks is the throttle response, the 08 was much smoother and less twitchy but other than that I couldn't tell the 2 apart. After riding them myself I think it's exaggerated a lot. Either way you can't go wrong!!!

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
I bought an 06 and have just been adding to it, do you have a preference in faired vs naked? how bout the difference in the speedo style changes? hardest thing to find when I swapped out my front fairings for the /07-09 model was a used newer speedo design. I picked up the fairing assembly from someone on here who went naked for about $400. If you like the "puck" style speedo 04-06 get an older bike and if not I'd look for a 07+

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
It was in the 80s here last week and I've got the itch to buy. Also looking forward to parking my thirsty Durmax and saving some money on fuel!

There are a few 05s near me with low (under 5000) miles in great shape for fair prices ($3500-ish). I've been watching for quite a while and 07+ bikes are pretty rare.

So my question (mostly for the people who have ridden/owned both) is just how much "better" are the 07+ bikes. I've read the reviews, but I know magazines tend to exaggerate things sometimes. If I were to get used to a 05, would a 07 feel entirely different?

Money isn't really an issue, but at the same time, I would rather put $2K in aftermarket accessories into an older bike than put that $2K into a newer one that would be marginally better.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help.

If you read through the forum, you'll notice there are some differences between the S1 and S2 version:
  • Color scheme (duh :D)
  • Frame and engine color
  • Rear swingarm design
  • Fairing design (S2 version has a bit "shorter" design, where the indicator lights are mounted on a separate piece, that mounts under the fairing)
  • speedometer design (S1: round, digital tach <> S2: analogue tach + LCD)
  • Front fork design: this accomodates other brake calipers, which will definately give you more braking power over the S1 calipers)
  • Front fender design
  • Handlebar clamp

I think this covers all the changes between the S1 and S2 version :)

As for the extra money:
You could buy a clean S1, and use the extra cash to get some R6 front forks with calipers.... It will be a better option than the S2 forks :)
The rear swingarm can be replaced with the S2 version, as they are completely interchangeable :)

Grtz,

Degake

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother in-law had an 07 FZ6 that I rode on several occasions. I have an 05 model. First, I have to say I love my bike. If you are not looking to go with the naked headlight conversion, I like the plastics on the 04-06 better than what they went to. I think they cheeped out 07 and after. Look close it is different. The swing arm is also different. It looks better on the 07 model, but not enough to make me sell my bike, if anything it will be a future modification. I felt like my bike was a little more sensitive in the throttle than my brothers bike, other than that just riding the bike you will not notice much difference. My vote would be to save the money and go with the 05, especially if you plan on modding it. You can spend that 2k you will save real fast on mods. Lets just say for instance. Exhaust 600-1000, PC3 300, K&N filter 60, racetech springs 300, Ohlins shock 800, pazio levers 200, rough total 2260-2660, and that is a real sort list of some good performance, cosmetic, and handling mods. Best of luck my friend.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '04, wanted an S2, but I got mine for a really low price. For the few hundred more an S2 seems to go for nowdays, I'd hold out. I've seen '07s in a lot of areas going for $3500-4000, too.

Sure, you can swap out the swingarm, rear subframe (that's a bit different too), gauges, and everything else... if you can find them. And probably eclipse the price difference you would've paid to have a newer bike. The R6 forks are good either way, but an S2 saves you having to buy new calipers, and having to open up the system and bleed it.

I've never had any complaints about my bike's throttle response, so no real help there.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno where yer at, but I just bought an '07 in NorCal with only 5.5K mi. a few weeks back fer $3,500. :cheer:
I really wanted an '07 or newer after reading this...
Besides the better throttle response, I wanted the 4 "live" piston brakes. :thumbup:
Thanks FZ6 forum. :hug:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I own an 04 and my wife has an 08. I don't think you'll "settle" for and older model. If you find an 04-06 with low miles and in good shape you'll be doing just fine! The only thing I really wish my 04 had that my wife's 08 has is the speedometer. Other than that there isn't a whole lot outside of cosmetic differences that really stand out. :welcome:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno where yer at, but I just bought an '07 in NorCal with only 5.5K mi. a few weeks back fer $3,500. :cheer:
I really wanted an '07 or newer after reading this...
Besides the better throttle response, I wanted the 4 "live" piston brakes. :thumbup:
Thanks FZ6 forum. :hug:

Also bought my 07 a few weeks ago for $3500, but mine has about 16000 miles.:thumbup:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I bought my 2004 FZ6 new in 2004.

It now has R6 forks/brakes and a 2007+ swingarm.

I'd love to have the speedo/gauge assembly from the 2007+ but it won't work with my 2004 inner plastics.

I've heard rumors that the 2007+ have much less wind turbulence due to the redesigned fairing. The wind noise / turbulence on my 2004 is horrible (I've tried three different windshields) causing me to wear earplugs for all rides.

Personally, I'd get a 2007+ if the price difference was $1000 or less.