Throttle Tension Problems???

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike isn't subject to the daily elements, that said, its put together dry and has no grease like that. As you know, not all grease products handle the weather and some jell and could make this sluggish.

Because your assembly spins freely when loose, someone has cut or broken the locater nub already.

While apart -
- Disconnect the throttle "opening side cable" and pull on the throttle cable by hand to confirm the throttle cable operates freely and is not hung up in the sheath.
- With one hand, open the throttle plates by reaching down and manually rotating the assembly and feel the return cable for sticking.

- IMO where its plastic on plastic, I see no need for grease. It just attracts debris.
- Some lube the tube to the bar as it can rust there. Beyond that, clean and dry should be OK. Lube the cables again and call it good.
- You might also confirm the TB plates snap back crisply on there own while the cables are off.

Also, you might clean the run stop contacts while you're in there. Gently pry the locks open and it comes apart.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I re-call, the NUB, is on the lower half of that throttle assembly(upper halfW/Kill switch and lower half). If you still have your old bars, look at the throttle end of it and you should see a hole.

That hole would be where the nub is (unless someone already ground it off) on the lower half of the throttle assembly.

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
So sorry about the lack of updates, been really busy since its so close to Christmas and haven't had much time to work on the bike, after lubing the cables and leaving it for a day or two it got much better, it still sticks very slightly but now I dont recall having to push the throttle forward to stop it sticking. I'm going to lube them a bit more as I'll be cleaning her up ready for the snow to make sure she isn't a rust bucket by the end of January!!

I do see the hole on the old bars on the underside, but as I recall the whole throttle assembly was able to rotate on the bar since i bought it... Brings up the question as to why, I was led to believe the bike wasn't messed with but maybe I am wrong!

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to take another look soon, the picture I uploaded last time I think was the only 'nub' I could see and it wouldn't fit inside of the hole on the bars only rub against it maybe. It's my birthday this Sunday so I'll be buying a new exhaust for the bike, debating whether to get scorpion round/oval or leo vince, just can't get the leo until mid January. I know you have scorpion ovals, would they fit vertically rather than facing away from each other?

First image is from sangeras blog, 2nd is a pic I found of how I'd prefer it, just don't know how he's done it as it's Russian I think and I've not seen many others do it. I assume that's the round kit?

I just much prefer the look of them like that, not sure what it is, I guess it just looks more balanced to my eyes, more mirrored so to speak.

Thanks again!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to take another look soon, the picture I uploaded last time I think was the only 'nub' I could see and it wouldn't fit inside of the hole on the bars only rub against it maybe. It's my birthday this Sunday so I'll be buying a new exhaust for the bike, debating whether to get scorpion round/oval or leo vince, just can't get the leo until mid January. I know you have scorpion ovals, would they fit vertically rather than facing away from each other?

First image is from sangeras blog, 2nd is a pic I found of how I'd prefer it, just don't know how he's done it as it's Russian I think and I've not seen many others do it. I assume that's the round kit?

I just much prefer the look of them like that, not sure what it is, I guess it just looks more balanced to my eyes, more mirrored so to speak.

Thanks again!

As I recall, the Scorp's WON't fit "tall wise". I tried installing them that way as well years ago, but was a no go. The ovals do fit nicely in the stock hole with the the center, stock, black piece.

The angled ends just follow the contours of the rear of the bike. You get used to it and actually, I prefer it.

Just as a side note, the Scorps are the ONLY pipes that DON't require re-packing at all and if buying new, have a limited lifetime warranty to the original owner.

I run W/O DB killers and love the sound. If you ride often in the higher RPMs, you will be noticed much more often.

From what I've heard on-line, both pipes sound very similar. Others with personal experiance hearing them can give further.

They are more on the throaty side vs higher pitched(which I definitly prefer).

Last edited:

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats exactly what I'm looking for, a more throaty sound. I don't like how high pitched the stock exhaust is, I can mainly hear just my engine when I'm driving around rather than my exhaust.

As for with no baffle, not sure I'll be running it with it out all the time, I don't want to get noticed TOO much, by police and such, just noticed by cars so they hear me so I dont get pulled out on as much! - Guess I'll try when I get it, with/without the baffle! :D

ON TOPIC:

I'm pretty sure my cables are better now. After I lubed the cables with the engine oil they got better per day, so I'll probably make sure more of the cables done just to be sure.

Just annoying me now how rusty my chain is getting despite all of the care I'm giving it. Always lubing it and recently did a thorough clean on it, grr!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ON TOPIC:

I'm pretty sure my cables are better now. After I lubed the cables with the engine oil they got better per day, so I'll probably make sure more of the cables done just to be sure.

Just annoying me now how rusty my chain is getting despite all of the care I'm giving it. Always lubing it and recently did a thorough clean on it, grr!

Are you using a wax based lube or petroleum based? The wax has to be put on while the chain is warm.

IME, I tried wax and did not like it all. If the chain gets wet(especially in your area), it needs re-lubing that more often...

Jayke

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the lube is a spray can, so I assume petroleum. It seems to work well but doesn't help rust situation! :( the make is Fuchs , it was expensive so I assume it's good!