Throttle Tamer: Not bad.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the technical explanation.
Did you use your existing grips with the tamer?
Can i use my rizoma grips with it?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the technical explanation.
Did you use your existing grips with the tamer?
Can i use my rizoma grips with it?

I dunno about the Rizoma grips. It looks like they replace the throttle tube, so I'm guessing not. You can email (Edit: had wrong company name.) G2 and ask. They're real helpful.

I anticipated not being real patient with getting the stock grips off and bought a replacement pair in advance. I was right. I tried air, but I think my compressor and/or tank is not big enough. The grips I bough are slightly thicker, which is what I wanted. Liking them so far.

Last edited:

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
We’re all aware of the FZ6’s nasty-ass on/off throttle response. I’d had great luck with a Throttle Tamer on my FJR so I thought I’d give it a go on the FZ. I can report from this morning’s ride that it’s a significant improvement. The Throttle Tamer, along with getting all the slack out of the throttle cable and setting the idle to 1,600 RPM has resulted in a throttle that I consider to be well within the acceptable range.

Did the tube fit correctly or did you have to cut the end off like boneman mentioned on his thread?

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have to cut mine, but I have an FZ6R bar instead of stock. I'm real pleased with the throttle tamer now, though.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
I received and installed my Tamer Tube yesterday and needed to trim 2mm off the length so as not to have to relo the throttle housing. It’s no big deal because the tube is soft aluminum. In fact, I just ground the excess off rather than use a cutting wheel or saw. You can use a simple dial-gauge measuring from the end to the textured part to keep the end even.

1060.jpg

1066.jpg

It’s otherwise as easy to install as any other throttle tube. I put some 120mm Pro Grip Anti-Vibers on, too.

1069.jpg

1070.jpg

I’d seen these posts in here, but decided I needed to try the Tamer after we got in some traffic jams last weekend and my son, who was on the FZ, was having difficulty with the low speed throttle control creeping along in traffic. This is exactly where I think the Throttle Tamer benefits the most. In fact, if you get one, before install, find a nice stretch to modulate the throttle at low speed much like you’d experience in a traffic jam. Then do it again with the Tamer. That’s where I was able to see the biggest difference. Another test is rolling on the throttle in low speed turns and even turns through intersections. Do it right before and right after install to get the sense for how it changes the throttle control. Once you’re rolling along and up to normal speeds, I don’t think the tamer has any noticeable effect. I think the cam must ramp back to normal once you’ve turned it past that abrupt-jerky part, but that's just a guess. Overall, I’m pretty happy with this gadget.

Oh, and did I luck out. I found my Tamer on eBay for $34, plus $5 shipping, all because the blister pack it was in was messed up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its kinda BS that YOU have to grind down the end to make it the same as the stock throttle tube.. I agree, that's what I would have done as well..

I'd give them a call or drop a note about the lenth, its really a safety hazard if a newbe installs it and doesn't notice the throttle grabbing the bar end or releasing slowly...

As a side note, I keep my idle at 1,000 (doesn't clunk as bad going into first and I want the engine braking as well). When riding the twisties, I keep the RPM's at least 5K, no clutch mods, stock levers, Scorps, no PC.
I don't have any problems getting rolling nor any snatchyness as it sits... Maybe the 07 and up is better, FI wise, the higher RPM's when riding aggressivly as well...
Hi Scot,
Did you ever contact them to advise of the potential safety issue?
If so what was the outcome?

I know this thread is as old as the hills. However I would be really interested in hearing about the long term use of the tamers.

Neil

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I was emailing back and forth with Gary at G2 and they are now shipping the Throttle Tamer with the correct length. I just ordered one.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I was emailing back and forth with Gary at G2 and they are now shipping the Throttle Tamer with the correct length. I just ordered one.

Interesting news. Thanks for the post! I just picked one up last week. Haven't cracked it open yet. But hey if you can get it returned for exact length. I just might make an inquiry, assuming mine doesnt match the length as so many others.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed my throttle tamer a few days ago. Totally transformed the bike. Starts, down shifting and applying power in corners is so smooth now! I really cant say enough about how good this mod is. My tamer had the correct length btw.

KmofugginD

Reaction score
Visit site
I must have a rare fz6 because I do not have any issues with the throttle or clutch. Maybe it is where I have rode bikes all my life (since I was 8), who knows.

Glad it is working for you ;)

The juice box on your bike most likeley fixed the issue... that's why you don't notice it, it probably isn't there. :smoking:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did the throttle tamer with my fz1 bar swap and had an idea afterwords. I to cut the tube down about 3/16" to make it the same length as the original. After I thought about just drilling the alignment hole on the FZ1 handlebar more towards the center and therefore making it unnecessary to modify the tamer. May be a better option for those without a dremmel but either way just make sure the throttle snaps back even with the bars turned.

FZ1 bar thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/27380-fz1-handlebars-installation.html

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed my throttle tamer a few days ago. Totally transformed the bike. Starts, down shifting and applying power in corners is so smooth now! I really cant say enough about how good this mod is. My tamer had the correct length btw.

Just want to update. After some time with the G2 I'd say the issue is still there. It's greatly improved over stock but it's still there. I'm still nervous when applying throttle mid corner at low speed in low gear. Might look at a juice box next. I do think I have too much chain slack which could be adding to the problem so I'm going to sort that first and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,
I am a new rider, just a few months and new, less than 200 miles on a low mileage '07 FZ6. I find the throttle to be abrupt just on and off opening, so this product is really interesting to me. Seems a lot cheaper than the Power Commander too. I'm new to moto mechanics, is this a relatively easy job? Also, I'm short, so when the temp drops, I'm sending my seat to Spencer for a lowering job, he's really cheap compared to a whole new seat.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Power commander with a custom map fixed it

PC with a custom map fixed the abrupt throttle issue.

I would wager that if I would have taken it to a dyno to get a bike specific custom map the throttle issue would have completely be solved.

I never heard about throttle tamer.

Sinman

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Power commander with a custom map fixed it

Poster, the Throttle tamer is mentioned earlier in this thread. But, if you did the PC and custom map, are you happy with the result, was it worth the cost?