throttle? "snatchy"

b3nje909

Reaction score
Visit site
is everyone elses throttle like a gate to a dam?

its very hard to "open" in smoothly.

I try to roll the throttle on mid corner, and I get a sharp "kick" from it.
Is quite disconcerting mid corner.

Dylan

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine seems that way, from closed to open has a sort of snatch. It's ok if I leave it a little open, only seems to happen in the lower gears as well. I think it's more a matter of throttle control than anything else. Sometimes I can open it without a problem. I've only had the bike a week though, my opinion may not count for much ;)

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I have this problem sometimes also. I think with me it's more throttle control than anything else. If I'm too quick to get back on the throttle, then I definitely get the "snatch".

Z

Zealadin

Finding the same thing myself, especially in the higher revs in lower gears.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day guys. This is the part where you really do have to work at being smooth.

You do get used to it though, and I generally don't even notice it now as I'm still dragging the rear brake when I get back on the throttle. Once you find where the throttle opens back up you'll stop easing it on fishing for the spot and then moving it faster and faster looking for the spot. This is when it bites you. Instead you'll roll it on 'til just before the spot and ease it on smoothly.

Don't worry too much. It's not entirely you. These beasties are very on or off with the throttle.

Just be aware and take it a little easy learning your new beast:rockon:.

If it seems to be excessive though, I'd get it checked out, but I'm pretty confident it's Ok:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day guys. This is the part where you really do have to work at being smooth.

You do get used to it though, and I generally don't even notice it now as I'm still dragging the rear brake when I get back on the throttle. Once you find where the throttle opens back up you'll stop easing it on fishing for the spot and then moving it faster and faster looking for the spot. This is when it bites you. Instead you'll roll it on 'til just before the spot and ease it on smoothly.

Don't worry too much. It's not entirely you. These beasties are very on or off with the throttle.

Just be aware and take it a little easy learning your new beast:rockon:.

If it seems to be excessive though, I'd get it checked out, but I'm pretty confident it's Ok:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

Good advice Mikey......

:thumbup:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I added a Power Commander to my otherwise stock 06 FZ6 and it made a world of difference. I got the PCIII specifically for the throttle "snatchiness" and it is now much smoother in the on/off transition. I highly recommend it cause no matter how smooth you are with the throttle the jerkiness will be there without the PCIII, at least on my bike.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I added a Power Commander to my otherwise stock 06 FZ6 and it made a world of difference. I got the PCIII specifically for the throttle "snatchiness" and it is now much smoother in the on/off transition. I highly recommend it cause no matter how smooth you are with the throttle the jerkiness will be there without the PCIII, at least on my bike.

yes PCIII does help heaps.

:rockon:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, it's snatchier than other bikes I've had for sure. I rode my friend's Honda Hornet the other day and it's a lot smoother.

Like ozzieboy said, what I do is find that point just before it opens up, then roll on slowly from there. I also put some pressure on the clutch to ease the transition. I don't pull the clutch in! Just a slight bit of pressure on the clutch lever will take some pressure off the drive train, then when you're past that point of "opening up", let go of the clutch.

Another thing I did (and this may all be in my head), is to take the slack out of my throttle cable. There was a lot of slack in my cable when I got the bike, which would allow me to roll far past closed. It made it hard to find that "open up" point. When I took the slack out, I knew right where it was, and even found myself closing the throttle less.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The throttle is very "snatchy". I found that when the chain is on the loose side, the problem is even worse. Right after the chain gets tightened it feels really good then gets worse as the chain loosens up.

John

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same issue with the open/close point on the throttle. I usually avoid it by applying a little bit of pressure to the clutch whenever I lay off/roll on the throttle.

I'm curious about the PCIII now that you mention it. What exactly does the PCIII due if you have an otherwise stock bike?

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
As I understand it (please correct me if i'm wrong) but the stock bike cuts fuel completely on a closed throttle, and so when you open the throttle there is a slight delay before the injectors get fuel, hence the 'jump'. PCIII allows a little fuel to flow to the engine on a closed throttle, so there is no jump when opening it.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if these have fuel cut or not, they need a speed sensor to monitor when to off then on it, cause if you just fuel cut the bike wouldnt idle, and would stall on descel

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mines an 08.
but I got it 8 weeks ago.

How much is a power commander? I dont have my two bros yet..

About $450 for a PCIII, and a further $200 + for a decent tune on a dyno...well worth it, bike goes lots, lots better, and if your tuner has their poop together, you should get nearly 10+hp at the rear wheel, with better breathing pipes, and a decent air filter!

:rockon:

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
I my experience in 1st and 2nd gear the on-off is the worst, when you go up in 3rd it's almost gone.

I fix this by having a small amound of pressure on my throttle when I enter the corner and just try to open it in a smooth manner to achieve my corner speed.

From what I've heard from my dealer the on-off on the FZ6 isn't really that bad, there are worst bikes out there.

The PCIII helps, the Rapidbike should be even better.

Z

Zealadin

I'm still hesitant coming into corners and have been finding I'm not holding or accelerating through the corner, which means I'm coming out too wide, and its not fun, coming from a shorter and stouter 250, it feels like I need to lean alot more on the FZ6.

I have heard people say to lean yourself, not the bike, but have also heard that leaning both is the proper way.
Anyone know which is more correct? To me it feels more like I should be leaning both over and kind of solidifying my weight onto the seat, makes it feel really secure and corner beautifully.

On my last bike I got into the habit of leaning the bike and counter leaning so I was more upright because the suspension was shot.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still hesitant coming into corners and have been finding I'm not holding or accelerating through the corner, which means I'm coming out too wide, and its not fun, coming from a shorter and stouter 250, it feels like I need to lean alot more on the FZ6.

I have heard people say to lean yourself, not the bike, but have also heard that leaning both is the proper way.
Anyone know which is more correct? To me it feels more like I should be leaning both over and kind of solidifying my weight onto the seat, makes it feel really secure and corner beautifully.

On my last bike I got into the habit of leaning the bike and counter leaning so I was more upright because the suspension was shot.

Go with the bike, lean with it....sitting upright, is just that counter leaning....just like when a pillion sits up in a corner....it makes the bike wanna run straight...

Be as one with your bike, and be as smooth as possible, dont climb all over it.

:thumbup:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '08 too and I get this throttle snatchiness too. I remember getting into a corner and then the bike surges -- not good :eek:. Now, I'm using the clutch in 1st and 2nd when I go into turns. I figure it's just part of this bike's personality.

As far as PCIII, that's a lot of money to fix this. I was thinking maybe a K&N or BMC air filter might help.

Dennis