Throttle "snap back"

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer, if there is already a thread then a link would be greatly appreciated. So on to my question:

I have a riding group from base with all makes, models, and years of bikes. an fz6r, fz1, and an r1 included. Idk why, but it seems to me that when(parked with bike off) I roll my throttle completely open and let it go, it "snaps' back to closed, where as the other bikes have more of a smooth glide back to closed.

I originally noticed this when slowly rolling off the throttle while riding, that it can be a little jerky sometimes trying to snap back closed. I have gotten used to it and its smoothed out a lot, but is there anything i can do/replace to get a gliding throttle instead of the loaded spring snapping closed feel?

If my question seems to make no sense, let me know and I can try to further explain.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Better than having a throttle that sticks or "snaps back" too slowly. I would really consider what you are explaining as beneficial to be honest. Many people to complain about hte FZ throttle as twitchy and either on or off, but once you get used to it you can smooth most of that out with an adept right hand.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds normal to me. You want the throttle to snap closed from a safety perspective. Any "gliding" as you call it means something is binding up and not working smoothly. I would bet those other guys haven't lubed their throttle cables in a while. I personally look for that "snap" and worry if it's not present. For instance, after installing new grips, my throttle closed very slowly because the edge of the grip was rubbing against the bar end.

Hope this helps.

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, ive gotten used to it, and its not as "snappy". Its just a little inconvenient when I go to re grip the throttle while riding and it tries to snap closed.

as far as the safety perspective, I do understand how that is a good thing. I guess im just too used to dirt riding and having the throttle not immediately snap back but still close with a smoother feel. other than this though, i absolutely love my new fz6 <3

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what the others said. It sounds like your throttle snaps back the way it is supposed to. Your friends are the ones that should be worried.

On a side note, a lot of people adjust their throttle slack to "zero" to deal with the on/off throttle response. You need to be careful to not over do it. Over tightening the throttle slack can cause a very heavy spring and too much snap back like you described.

For me a 2-3mm slack feels right.

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
well most of them have stock throttles, so i dont think they should worry too much, one of them did have the same problem with the new grips catching too much, but we got that fixed.
I will try the slack in the throttle and see if that works or not. i only brought this up because it just seems to have too much snap to be normal. glad to hear im not the only one with this problem and hopefully its a simple fix.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently adjusted to zero slack and the feel is way better as far as im concerned.

Right. The point is, there is no indicated minimum on the slack adjuster. If you go past the tightest point you can make your throttle feel heavier than it should be.

Nappa

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it snaps back quickly because the throttle spring is very stiff on the FZ. At least compared to my other bikes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With a double pull throttle as this is, when there is no free play its literally bound up and the friction is making it sluggish not to mention creating allot of extra pressure which results in wear to the cable liners and cables themselves.

Freeplay is advisable and check it in as many positions as you can; i.e. wheels straight, and both left and right turn stops as well as extended and collapsed forks.

As said above, I'd say yours is normal and the others are not. Even a dirt bike should snap back quickly its just safer that way.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This seems to contradict itself. Perhaps a little edit?

Over tightening the throttle slack can cause a very heavy spring and too much snap back like you described.

I fixed it for you! :thumbup:
Over tightening the throttle slack can cause binding and slow or no throttle return.

RuinedMortal

Military Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
well i really appreciate the information everyone! i think i will tinker with the slack adjuster a bit, other than that, ill just have to go out and ride more to get a better throttle hand. aww shucks lol