Throttle lock and why it isn't perfect

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is really common sense, but I never thought much about why the speed varies with throttle locked, no matter what kind of locker you use.

The speed would remain constant, if you were to stay in gear and keep the RPM the same. In other words, if you're in 6th gear and RPM is 5k, it will equate to certain (exact) speed and that number will not change, ever.

I spent many boring miles on the highway over the weekend and it gave me time to monitor my tachometer closely.

I locked my throttle at 5.1k, which equates to 75mph on my bike (not actual, as we all know).

However, as the elevation changes, the rpm varies quite a bit. Again, this is common sense, but it was interesting to observe the changes. My speed ended up varying from 72 to 82, without ever touching the throttle.

This is why throttle locker cannot be as good as a real cruise control. Oh well.. it's a heck of a lot better than nothing :D

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. I always find myself slightly tweaking my right wrist to compensate for elevation and wind changes. It's probably the biggest reason I won't spend money on one as that fluctuation in speed would annoy me like no other.

randysway

Reaction score
Visit site
But in the case that you're traveling somewhere completely flat, it could be a useful and cheap upgrade.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Throttlemeister, but yes, it's far from perfect. Any up or downhill requires a minor adjustment. On the whole, I wouldn't ride a bike without one.

Always fun to wave at other bikers with your right hand as you're passing them.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Throttlemeister, but yes, it's far from perfect. Any up or downhill requires a minor adjustment. On the whole, I wouldn't ride a bike without one.

Always fun to wave at other bikers with your right hand as you're passing them.

Couldn't agree with you more. I too love mine for long stretches of monotonous highway riding. I'm a cheapskate though, so I use Go-cruise. It works perfectly and it cost me $20. I only install it when I know I'll need it (takes 10 seconds to install / remove) :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought they were solely used for texting Lawberg so one could ride "Hands Free" for extended periods... :thumbup: :spank::spank:

I may need to invest as those longer rides, righty never gets to stretch. :(

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you have long stretch of roadway to kill, you will find something to do. So I have done the same. But I also noticed that if you put yourself in the tuck position, riding behind your windscreen you can gain another 1-2 mph.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you have long stretch of roadway to kill, you will find something to do. So I have done the same. But I also noticed that if you put yourself in the tuck position, riding behind your windscreen you can gain another 1-2 mph.

Yup! AND I get 1-2 more MPG when I tuck.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Consider some of those Luge Helmets from the Olympic teams and you'll be set!:BLAA:

4fight_lt_integral_dark_silver.jpg

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing you should never do is use your left to hold the throttle to briefly give your right a break. Your mind (well, mine at least) cannot adjust and flip the motion of press vs. pull to get the same desired direction.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
As resistance increases, so must the power applied to maintain a steady speed.

Wind resistance changes as the wind changes, elevation (gravity) resistance changes as you go up and down grades.

I only move my hand off my throttle grip every 10 minutes or so to rest while on the highway so a throttle lock is a huge upgrade over decelerating every time you need to stretch your right wrist!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As resistance increases, so must the power applied to maintain a steady speed.

Wind resistance changes as the wind changes, elevation (gravity) resistance changes as you go up and down grades.

I only move my hand off my throttle grip every 10 minutes or so to rest while on the highway so a throttle lock is a huge upgrade over decelerating every time you need to stretch your right wrist!

Yup! As I mentioned, it's common sense, but it's cool to watch the RPMs drop or go up as you go up/down hills (on a quiet, straight road!)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stupid question: How does the go cruise work? Is it magnetized or something?

I push it down with your index finger and it sits on top of brake lever, preventing the throttle from rolling back. To reset it, you simply roll the throttle to off position. Search for it on youtube. There's a demo video out there. (I'd post a link, but youtube is blocked at work).