Throttle lateral movement

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd never noticed any "lateral" or side-to-side movement in my throttle until after I replaced my handlebars with FZ6R bars. I also installed OEM grips again, the throttle side comes complete with the throttle cam.
There is a large diameter, thin plastic washer installed on the throttle between the cam and the grip....it doesn't seem to fit "inside" the throttle & switch housing, so I left it between the housing and the grip, where it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.
Now I'm very aware of end to end movement of the throttle. If any of you kind folks could have a look at their throttles to see if there's the kind of movement I'm describing, or if you've removed/installed the grip with the large washer in a different position and LMK, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Andy......It's just that I never noticed it for the almost 3 years I rode it before I changed the handlebars and grips. :confused:
Can you actually see the thin black plastic washer between the grip and the switch/throttle housing?

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is the same - I have a small amount of lateral movement and the black washer is between the grip and throttle housing. I don't think its an issue but if it is I'm sure somebody will tell us!

*edit. I'm guessing that the black plastic washers' purpose is to prevent the rubber grips from directly rubbing against the throttle housing and instead using smooth plastic that can slide happily over the top to limit friction.

Last edited:

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is the same - I have a small amount of lateral movement and the black washer is between the grip and throttle housing. I don't think its an issue but if it is I'm sure somebody will tell us!

*edit. I'm guessing that the black plastic washers' purpose is to prevent the rubber grips from directly rubbing against the throttle housing and instead using smooth plastic that can slide happily over the top to limit friction.

+1... I have an FZ6R and have that washer as well. It is correct on your bars.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!! :) Nice to know I didn't screw up and the lateral play is normal. Who knows why I never noticed it before.
As an aside, I'm delighted with the difference the FZ6R bars make.....the slightly "straighter" difference between the OEM FZ6 and FZ6R bars is subtle, but quite noticeable when riding. It has aleviated the strain on my wrists and shoulders.
I'm glad that I didn't go with a set of FZ1 bars, as the stretch would have been a bit much for me.

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Andy......It's just that I never noticed it for the almost 3 years I rode it before I changed the handlebars and grips. :confused:
Can you actually see the thin black plastic washer between the grip and the switch/throttle housing?

OneTrack: I have the 09 model, and have seen the same on mine, especially the useless washer. I always wondered what it was for... I'd say spare parts, but that's always a dangerous assumption :BLAA:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
That plastic washer is there, to keep the end of the throttle grip from sticking to the housing.... the plastic/plastic contact has very little friction. Much less than the rubber grip straight to the housing might in a 'worst case' sort of situation....