Throttle lag

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious what people thought of this:

I did read about some people saying the FI was the cause of this, and a PCIII may or may not help.

But... I'm new to this bike: an 05 FZ6

My previous bike was a CBR F4 carburated engine, and the throttle wasn't so touchy. Riding a few of my friend's FI GSXR600's their throttle response was much smoother.

So today was the first longer ride I went to work and had a lot of heavy traffic. I kept on noticing it was "jerky" for me to move the bike... ie I was still only turning the throttle a little bit, trying to get it to be a smooth accel. It wouldn't be enough so I would be slowing down, until it would just catch on with a jerk and go. A few times it really just felt like holding onto a bucking horse. Of course I just had to start adjusting by using the clutch to modulate a good start, but I would always fall back into my old habit once in a while and get a jerk out of myself.

So... is this just the way it's going to be, or is there any type of adjustment that can be made in terms of the throttle control when it kicks on and off here? I'm relatively new to the mechanics of bikes, but no mechanical noob (I have extensive work with cars). This is my third bike and my second season. I think I probably have around 5 or 6K under my belt with the other two bikes I have had.

Thanks a lot, be nice please, I did try my searching, but perhaps didn't use the right terms?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know if it's related but it could be. The 05's were recalled for the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). The FZ6 is known to have a little jerkiness in the throttle and some times a PClll can help that but a PClll is an expensive fix and would be better justified if you were going to get the bike tuned. The clutches are known to be a little snatchy with a pretty short engagement range. That doesn't help when you have a lagging throttle response. All in all my personal experience with the FZ6 was great and non of the nuances were ever a hinderance to my enjoyment and experience with the FZ6. You might check to see if the TPS recall was done on that bike.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll see what I can do about checking in on the recall, I have no idea who a yamaha dealer would be around here. From what I gathered the TPS recall would have more symptoms. The clutch, although not that wide of an engagement, I can deal with easier by revving up the bike and engaging the clutch slowly to get me moving... but say I am riding at 10mph, have to let off to slow down in traffic, and then it starts moving again.... this is where the dead space in the throttle kills me here and I get the jerk. Actually made me hit my horn once because i wasn't so prepared for it :)

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
What gear are you in?
City driving on the FZ can be really unpleasant... I found it ver jerky at first, I tried laggin round in 2nd and found the loss of power in that stop-n-go traffic. Now I can stay in first and find the little throttle control tricks that give me a smoother ride. Riding position in traffic is paramount for this. Throttle control during high speeds is easier because you are helped into correct riding posture and not unweighting on your wrists. When you engage your core muscles in traffic you'll find that your throttle control is a bit more refined... I never found this a problem on other bikes either...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious what people thought of this:

I did read about some people saying the FI was the cause of this, and a PCIII may or may not help.

But... I'm new to this bike: an 05 FZ6

My previous bike was a CBR F4 carburated engine, and the throttle wasn't so touchy. Riding a few of my friend's FI GSXR600's their throttle response was much smoother.

So today was the first longer ride I went to work and had a lot of heavy traffic. I kept on noticing it was "jerky" for me to move the bike... ie I was still only turning the throttle a little bit, trying to get it to be a smooth accel. It wouldn't be enough so I would be slowing down, until it would just catch on with a jerk and go. A few times it really just felt like holding onto a bucking horse. Of course I just had to start adjusting by using the clutch to modulate a good start, but I would always fall back into my old habit once in a while and get a jerk out of myself.

So... is this just the way it's going to be, or is there any type of adjustment that can be made in terms of the throttle control when it kicks on and off here? I'm relatively new to the mechanics of bikes, but no mechanical noob (I have extensive work with cars). This is my third bike and my second season. I think I probably have around 5 or 6K under my belt with the other two bikes I have had.

Thanks a lot, be nice please, I did try my searching, but perhaps didn't use the right terms?
Hello mate,

I have an 05, and absolutely hated the crappy throttle response. To the point that it used to screw up my entry into favourite twisty bits.
To rectify the problem I lubricated the throttle cable and adjusted out all of the excess free play.
This made about 70% better than it was. I then adjusted the engine idle speed up to 1280 rpm. This made it about 10% better still.
If I had the money I would buy the kit required to balance the throttle bodies. Fred has done an excellent how to "balance" thread.

I have just got used to it now.

Good luck

Nelly

Last edited:

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you adjust all the slack out of the throttle cable first. They tend to stretch and/or work their way out of adjustment. Factory specs are too sloppy IMHO.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I then adjusted the engine idle speed up to 12800 rpm.

Holy s**t dude! How's that working out for you? :rof:

The FZ6 is notorious for the throttle jerkiness that you describe. I finally coughed up the money for a PCIII - boy what a difference!

I rode a friend's SV 650 after having my FZ6 for a couple of years ... he has an older one that had carbs ... man, so smoooooth!

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
How do I go about adjusting the throttle cable? I didn't get a manual with this bike, and have never done one before. Maybe ill put up idle speed a tad and see how it works out.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What Nelly said about the throttle cable slack. My cables new, have stretched a country mile, (enough to limit my top end by nearly 15 mph)! Good luck.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do I go about adjusting the throttle cable? I didn't get a manual with this bike, and have never done one before. Maybe ill put up idle speed a tad and see how it works out.

Here you go bro. This is from the 2007 manual but I imagine it's fairly similar for yours.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent diagram! I think I could have figured it out at the handle, but didn't think you'd have the option of going at it at the throttle itself. I'll see if I can adjust to the 3mm slack, or... less to see if it gets any better! :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy s**t dude! How's that working out for you? :rof:

The FZ6 is notorious for the throttle jerkiness that you describe. I finally coughed up the money for a PCIII - boy what a difference!

I rode a friend's SV 650 after having my FZ6 for a couple of years ... he has an older one that had carbs ... man, so smoooooth!
My bad lol,

I have a really sticky keyboard where a bottle of Calpol (infant Paracetamol) got poured over it.
So its a pain in the bum typing as a few keys need extra presses.

Anyway I imagine 12800 rpm would take the throttle lag away completely.

Cheers
Nelly

PS have removed said calpol and washed keyboard keys. I think that I broke a few when replacing them.