Throttle lag

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
My '07 lags when I twist the throttle quickly. It kind of stalls a bit before it kicks in, hard to explain. I can't say for sure since I haven't ridden it for a while, but I'm pretty sure it goes away once its warmed up. Stock engine, stock air filter, no PCIII, with a Two Bros exhaust. Maybe a fuel mixture issue? FI problem? I don't know, any ideas are helpful. Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My '07 lags when I twist the throttle quickly. It kind of stalls a bit before it kicks in, hard to explain. I can't say for sure since I haven't ridden it for a while, but I'm pretty sure it goes away once its warmed up. Stock engine, stock air filter, no PCIII, with a Two Bros exhaust. Maybe a fuel mixture issue? FI problem? I don't know, any ideas are helpful. Thanks!

That's exactly how it will behave until warmed up and I think it's more pronounced when you open up the back with an aftermarket exhaust. A CO adjustment might do the trick for you. Should be able to search for the CO adjustment routine here on the forum. The other route is the PClll. I would have it tuned/dyno'd correctly but that's pretty pricey.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If the bikes been sitting "for awhile" the gas may have gone stale. It doesn't take 3-4 weeks to go stale unless you use a stabilizer. How old is the fuel? Does it smell stale?

If its old, or smells stale, I'd siphon out what gas you can and put in fresh fuel along with some Chevron "Techtron" which is a good fuel system cleaner/fuel stabilizer. Its availabale at Walmart, auto parts store is is fairly cheap ($6-8.00) Give it at least a tank to clean out the system...

Good luck.

Scott

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hard blips on the throttle before the motor has warmed up isn't doing your bike any favors. Let it warm up and you are good to go.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe there is a flat spot in the torque curve near 4-6K and maybe not being warm exacerbates the behavior.

Not to mention the snatchy-ness of the throttle from start.

Anyway, what they said ... warm up and better gas -- hopefully, it will fix the problem.

Dennis

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your throttle freeplay. There should only be 3-5 mm of freeplay on the throttle.

I know it seems like a minor thing, but mine was very loose when I bought my bike, so when I fixed it the bike seemed much more responsive.

The service manual (available on the site, somewhere) shows you how to measure and adjust the freeplay. It only takes 5 minutes (4 minutes to kill the beer, 1 minute to measure and adjust.)

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Even if I'm only at about 6000 miles? I've done all the regular maintenance along the way.

If you bought that bike new, and have done maintenance as specified along the way, maybe not..... if you are not the first owner, there's a good chance the bike has sat for months at a time somewhere along the way.

The Techron advice is a good thing to do; any time a bike sits for extended periods it's a good idea to give them a thorough going over. Mice have been known to next in airboxes, and mufflers. Some items are time sensitive, rather than mileage -- like brake fluid. Swap that out annually, regardless of mileage.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
All good advice, thanks everyone! It has sat for several weeks so I will run a clean tank of gas and that other stuff through there. Just add it to the list of winter maintenance I have to do! :cheers: