Throttle jerking

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I do encountered very slight throttle jerking at 4k rpm.Anything thing below or above the range is as smooth as butter.Is there anything i need to worry about?

Dzo

Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve have a similar problem. Some of my friends told me that it calls "on off throttle". When I'm driving and entering the curve and in a middle I’m trying to give a little throttle to push me out of the curve it doesn’t go smoothly it have "hiccup" witch may be very annoying if you do not make attention. They also told me that is possible to repair with loading some different mapping into the bike. But I do not know hove or what to load. So that is my experience with the problem if somebody know something more about this pls to write thanks in advance

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
agree with the TPS observation...and some of your comments sound like
they can be adressed by changing your riding style a bit...while I've owned
and riddden several bikes, this is my first fuel injected one and it took some
getting used to the on/off throttle reponse, I've found with this bike you have
to be pretty careful of gear selection heading into a corner so you can
accellerate out smoothly, try some different gear/RPM combinations on dry,
open roads and see if you can smooth things out a bit

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Forget about adjusting the free play to spec. Take more play out of the cable. It should continue to improve your throttle response. You may have to loosen the cable at the grip and use the adjuster under the tank at the throttle bodies to start. Then go back and play with your adjuster at the grip. Don't forget to lock nut it in place when it's where you like it. Made a huge difference for me.

Dzo

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for quick answers I’ll try your advices and hopefully resolve the problem, I’m am coming back with result as soon as possible :)

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Guyz,

thanks much for all your replies, I've still haven't solved the problem though.
I've adjusted free play, lubed the cables, cleaned and lubed chain and the problem persists.

Although I also suspect it has something to do with my riding style, today I noticed something weird in 1st gear that sounds similar to the problem described here. For example, I'm in 1st gear riding at 20 or 30kmph steady. I'm not moving throttle at all while the bike starts to jerk around, not giving constant sound and going forward/back pushing me. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I'm starting to compensate up-rev hickup with clutch but the problem is down-rev where, for example, if I'm riding 2nd gear 40-50kmph and want to break suddenly - I release the throttle and I'm immediately pushed forward like I squeezed the break (although I still haven't). Only after this hickup, the revs start to fall down gradually.

Sorry for long posts... but there's no easy word to explain this problem (and my frustration).

Cheers!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tightening up the throttle cable play as much as possible without the idle raising when you turn the handlebars will help with the on/off issue. I would go tighter than recomended #'s.

G2 also makes a "throttle tube" that changes the speed at which your throttle cable pulls (slower) which should help you with throttle control. The one you'd need would be the "throttle tamer". You don't want to accelerate the movement of the throttle in your case but slow it down (also helps with the on/off issue).

As for any possible surging, if your throttle bodies are within sync, I'd try some fuel cleaner and run it thru a couple of tanks. Chevron techtron is a very good cleaner. You may have a slightly clogged injector. Its cheap enough and will clean the entire fuel system in either case...

Riding at a higher RPM in the lower gears will also feel MORE JERKY. That'll happen with any bike.... I can power wheelie (no clutch) my FJR or FZ6 doing that at the right RPM with the stock gearing. In your last post, 50 MPH in 2 gear will be jerky when on/off the throttle...

Last edited:

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks much for your reply! Fuel here in Serbia is a disaster, you may have a point with clogged injector. I've just bought Chevron Techton, it'll take some time before it ships here but I hope it will be worth a wait.

btw, just note I said 50 KMph instead of MPH ;)

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Riding at a higher RPM in the lower gears will also feel MORE JERKY. That'll happen with any bike.... I can power wheelie (no clutch) my FJR or FZ6 doing that at the right RPM with the stock gearing. In your last post, 50 MPH in 2 gear will be jerky when on/off the throttle...

i thought Joshua talked about throttle jerk while holding the throttle at the same point,not while playing on-off with the throttle. This also happens in low rpm situations, lets say 2000-2500, revving up/gearing down cures the problem but now i read this:
Joshua Redman said:
For example, I'm in 1st gear riding at 20 or 30kmph steady. I'm not moving throttle at all while the bike starts to jerk around, not giving constant sound and going forward/back pushing me. It doesn't happen all the time though.
and have to agree:
I'd try some fuel cleaner and run it thru a couple of tanks. Chevron techtron is a very good cleaner. You may have a slightly clogged injector. Its cheap enough and will clean the entire fuel system in either case...
always listen to an FJR rider, most of the cases they are right!

@Joshua chopping the throttle and feeling almost like braking is normal due to high compression and its called engine braking, just dont chop it if its not necessary it works like the oposite of the bike's brakes: letting the throttle increases the (engine)braking. It happens at cars too but on the bike its a little stronger! try to compare your bike's kmph drop with 60Kmph on 3rd gear when letting the throttle with a car, the car will have to use the brakes to match it
so braking, including the engine one, is bad while cornering and you must try to avoid it. Getting inside the corner a bit slower and accelerating a bit is the ideal to do, you will also end up on the straight already on throttle.

you said that you are a new rider didn't you? everything will be solved as far as you continue to practice throttle control, ridding position, turning, braking and everything about handling the bike. just try to keep it safe, low speed and be open minded and super careful

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks much for your reply! Fuel here in Serbia is a disaster, you may have a point with clogged injector. I've just bought Chevron Techton, it'll take some time before it ships here but I hope it will be worth a wait.

btw, just note I said 50 KMph instead of MPH ;)

My fault, do you know what that is in MPH out of curosity? And yes, crappy fuel will cause all kinds of problems...

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

I couldn't find Chevron Techton on my market but I found Wynn's Injection cleaner and I have to say I think it helped.

I'm still driving my first tank with it but so far I can see the difference and it definitely helps. I'm still experiencing a little on-off throttle issue but who knows, maybe situation will improve when I run this cleaner through a couple of tanks.

So all you guys having similar issues try some injection cleaner, I hope it'll help just as it did to me.

Thanks to everybody!

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how much help this would be. My bike is only 2 months old and jerking is a prevelant.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how much help this would be. My bike is only 2 months old and jerking is a prevelant.

I'd make sure your throttle cable is as taught as safely possible and your chain also adjusted on the tight side of spec's. If its surging under steady throttle in gear, sounds like you may want to try changing your PC3 map. All the mods to your engine would require some adjustment in the fuel /air mixture settings.

My stock 07(no aftermarket PC) with Scorp's doesn't surge what so ever.. The CO are factory set as well...

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was only ever an issue for me when doing a mountains run and was absolutely roosting. This was before my PC3 was installed. Around town I don't notice it whatsoever.

Hoping for another decent ride soon. Heading to the Blue Mountains tomorrow but riding a Street Triple :)