Thoughts on Lithium Batteries?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At least the FZ1 battery is directly under my crotch.. should be pleasant if it goes off!!

Shorai is actually Lithium Iron.. whatever that means.

^^^^Correct! ^^^^There is a difference, in especially, the battery's cathode technology.
Some of the batteries I hear mentioned are not Lithium Iron Phosphate. Like night and day from the other type lithium technology.
Just because someone dead shorts the battery terminals on any battery does not make it the battery's fault when a vehicle fire occurs.
We can take any healthy charged battery and make a monster out of it.

The bonded materials that create the cathode in Lithium Ion batteries are the most significant difference in stability of the battery. Those cathodes can incorporate cobalt oxide, manganese oxide and nickel oxide for example. These are not Lithium Iron Phosphate (also known as LiFePO4) or LFP batteries which is the battery you would put in your bike.
These batteries should not be confused with other types and are stable.
Even though it's winter, I'm sorry to cool off your bawl warmer theories! :rolleyes:

Here's some more stuff and you know Poppa Giro's gitten a Li Iron Phosphate when it's time! :D
Lithium iron phosphate battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I just did some research and the regular (14) battery is $145 and the Duration (18) is $170. Is there any reason for the bigger one?

I ride everyday, the most the bike sits is one day at a time. I don't have any accessories now but would like a 12v plug to put in tail of the bike to charge my cell phone/iPad mini. I will probably never use GPS since I have a knack for memorizing maps easily. I will probably never use heated grips because it never gets that cold here. However, if someone were to invent an AC unit to attach on the bike I'd get it for the summer here.

I felt 18 wasn't necessary.
I run GPS and heated gloves and the bike did sit ~2 weeks once (stupid snow/ice).. it lives in unheated garage, so it was probably ~40 in there... cranked over nice and fast.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is what scared me away from buying a Lithium battery already. My battery get's a little cranky, or I should say not cranky enough in the cold weather. The man at the parts department at my shop, said his friend had got one in his GSXR750 and they went out for a ride, parked to do some stuff and when they went back to the bikes, it had caught fire. Only had the battery in there a short while, like a week or something and this was the first long ride they had taken.
Most batteries hate the cold weather, I used to have a training defibrillator in my car. One winter morning I took it out to do some training with it. The batter had completely failed when cold. After it got to room temperature and was charged it worked perfectly.

Neil

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most batteries hate the cold weather, I used to have a training defibrillator in my car. One winter morning I took it out to do some training with it. The batter had completely failed when cold. After it got to room temperature and was charged it worked perfectly.

Neil

Yes! cold will slow everything down!

I've seen that happen many times with lead acid and gel cell batteries. If the battery's chemistry (Electrolyte) or electrodes (Anode/Cathode/Plates) and charge are bad the cold will effect it sooner and you will have failure.
What's happening is the time it takes to convert the chemical to electrical energy is too slow a rate for the rate of work you need done.

With our automotive/bike batteries we are essentially converting chemical properties into electrical current and electrical current into chemical properties.

I've seen batteries with no charge freeze in very cold weather while the same battery didn't freeze that had a good charge. The difference was that the electrolyte was a different chemical once charged.

Here's an example of a battery. (batteries 101) Just in case you ever need a jump start in a lemon grove! :)
Next week we can make an electrical magnet from a nail and a battery. :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23JH30ZMK0]Create a Lemon Battery - YouTube[/ame]

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
The lithium ion batteries are not to this point recyclable. They are considerable lighter and very expensive. The cost to benefit ratio is not worth the price for me. I don't see any benefit other than the weight.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have all three.

1) 4 cell Alien in the R6
2) 8 cell Ballistic in the Tuono
3) Shorai Inc LFX27L3-BS12 LITHIUM BATT 27AH 12V EQ,"L"3 (12 cell I think)

My bikes tend to sit for a couple of weeks/months at a time. Sad, I know... In the summer, they fire right up, 50 and below you need to warm the battery a little. I turn the ignition on for about 30 seconds, gear up, hit the starter and it fires up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot to mention, the weight savings is huge. The Shorei saves 10lbs on my XV920R. That is massive a a large part of the 55 lbs I've removed.

The R6 battery is .8 lbs. I can feel the difference on the track.

In both cases the center of gravity is lower.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2