Thought I would share.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
I was excited that I finally got off a good strobist shot with a long exposure. No layers. This is straight from the picture.

3313035894_98aee34a70_o.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok, it is killing me... how does one accomplish a shot such as that? I have a nice digital SLR and i am sure IT has the capabilities.... I however do NOT... HELP me be as cool as that picture...

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, it is killing me... how does one accomplish a shot such as that? I have a nice digital SLR and i am sure IT has the capabilities.... I however do NOT... HELP me be as cool as that picture...

Such a shot is accomplished by changing your shutter speed settings. Most digital cameras have a "night mode" which will usually give you a long exposure. One word of caution though... long exposures require the use of a tripod since any movement of the camera during the exposure will make the photo blurry.

If you have a higher end digital SLR camera, you should have shutter speed settings that will allow for longer exposures. Basically, the camera was capturing a moving vehicle which is why the photo is showing a horizontal streak across the exposure while the stationary motorcycle is in sharp focus.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
I shoot Nikon SLR, but any SLR and some point and shoots do it as well. You open the shutter up while on a tripod. Do your lighting, and then close the shutter. I actually did this one with a remote. I opened the shutter to "bulb" or indefinite, which allows the remote to click it open, and again to close. Then i drove the bike up, parked it, got off, took out my strobes and painted the bike only with light. Closed the shutter and cropped. Thats it! I have been doing strobist lighting (corrective lighting enhancement from off camera) for a while and I enjoy making the effects instead of photoshopping them.

I can post a high res for those that are interested.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
I was excited that I finally got off a good strobist shot with a long exposure. No layers. This is straight from the picture.

3313035894_98aee34a70_o.jpg

Thats kinda what I was going for in my avatar but I used layers ... very very crappy layers..

good job on your photo

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Such a shot is accomplished by changing your shutter speed settings. Most digital cameras have a "night mode" which will usually give you a long exposure. One word of caution though... long exposures require the use of a tripod since any movement of the camera during the exposure will make the photo blurry.

If you have a higher end digital SLR camera, you should have shutter speed settings that will allow for longer exposures. Basically, the camera was capturing a moving vehicle which is why the photo is showing a horizontal streak across the exposure while the stationary motorcycle is in sharp focus.

Sounds like i have to dig out my manual....