Those that crashed, how long do you wait for parts?

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I had a slow speed fall on 08th August and my bike was taken to Vncouver yamaha shop on 10th August.
Vancouver, BC Yamaha Shop guy and insurance estimator came up with following list of items needing repair:
Left Turn signal (only slightly scratched but they felt need renewing)$32.72
Windscreen $48.23
Cover upper fairing left side $66.65
Upper fairing $358.25
muffler cover (i could see no damage but they said it was scratched)$287.39
Crankase cover left $57.68 + $5.78 gasket for it
Clutch lever (slight scratch on the end ball) $25.18
handlebar weight left (slight scratch) $17.20
Tank had a quarter size dent $300 at body shop
Rear fender cover (one on left under the seat just scratch???) $233.70
Rear turning signal left $22.70 (could not see any damage??)
Labour $550 @ $78/hr
I pay only $300 deductible since a stupid cager (who left without stopping so no ID) caused me to fall and I had a witness.
I did not have any frame sliders, otherwise damage would have been much less.

Today after dozens of calls etc. they called me and said it is repaired:cheer:
After month and a half!! WTF!!!

Where are those parts coming from? Mars or Jupiter? :confused:Hod long do you wait for pats? Season here is almost over with rain coming in soon!! I think next time i trash plastic I'll go naked.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I dropped mine in December the delay of 5 months was caused by the other guy's insurance dragging their feet. Once they paid me out I ordered the parts and had them in less than a week.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Many things can affect how long something takes to get out of the body shop.
Most likely cause, a random part was on back order (happens much more often than youd think) and since body shops are bound by contract by the insurance companies to not release a car until it is fully returned to pre-accident condition they most likely had to wait until the part came in. Weve had some parts that are back ordered indefinitely.

Possible that the parts were delivered had damage, or were wrong and had to be returned and then poper ones shipped back

Crankcase cover is constituted as mechanical and would have to be subletted out to a mechanics shop. So there would be wait time getting the bike there, having the mechanics do the job, and getting it back

Factor in human error, for example, weve had cars dropped off that the work order dissappears on and the car will sit out front without being touched for a week before anyone notices that it needs to be done. Possibly an apprentice was working on his first bike or possibly something went wrong and had to be redone.

it could be one, or a combination of any of those, you just pulled the short stick this time around. For something with that few of labour hours, you should have simply called after a week and asked what the progress and updated ETA was.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
my local shop gets me parts normally within two business days or if I call early enough next day, my last part which was a fairing piece got delayed and took three days.

I've never needed anything random though, just regular wear parts and a side fairing visor

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, looks like this dealership and their service department sucks big time. I was forced to deal with someone since it went through insurance, but will look at alternatives if i order parts myself. Even insurance guy who apparently has three bikes, says that most of dealers in Vancouver are waste of time. Too few for good competition and good customer service i guess.