Thinking / thought about selling your FZ6?

Fz6 is great bike. No I dont want more power. I want something else , a dual sport 250/400cc.
Last Saturday I cleaned my fz6 and started in just two cranks. I was not on battery tender for whole winter. It was soggy and cold but I rode around block anyway, felt great.. All i need is two wheels.

Last edited:
I really want the new 2013 ninja 636 lol... I'm still happy w my bike tho once it starts givin me problems then I'm might seriously consider getting a new bike but for now I'm a happy camper:thumbup:

Love my bike, but It would be nice to have its big brother the Fz1. Do I need it? No, But it would be nice. Ive also always loved Triumphs Speed and street triples :)

I have thought about selling mine, and I eventually will. My problem is that I came from the SV650s to the FZ6 and I miss that low end grunt of the V-twin. I came to the FZ6 back in April of last year after putting 20,000 miles on 2 different bikes since march the year before. (Thank you tame michigan winter!)

I loved the FZ6, and it was FAST. The issue was, (at least I thought) the fz6 felt... tame after a while. So I was debating keeping it over the winter (after I went down thanksgiving morning) and selling it in the spring to try to pick up a Daytona 675 (which I'm pretty sure will be what I end up selling the FZ6 for)

Here's the thing, I wanted top dollar so I decided to repair the bike (headlight mole, tail fairing, crankcase cover) and I found out I actually really like working on bikes! :) So I did the only logical thing... I started modding it to my liking! It already had a two bros exhaust, which I love! So I replaced the air filter with a K&N air filter, and the spark plugs (which I noticed were running really rich) with NGK Iridium spark plugs. I'm assuming the richness was due to the air filter being a bit... clogged. I then ordered some of the OSO2k rearset setback plates (which are 90% installed) and a new 520 chain and 16t/48t sprockets (+0/+2). I have a new front tire waiting to go on as well, and when I install the sprockets, I'm going to clean the living daylights out of the bike. But I noticed that over the winter, I started to grow fonder of the bike every day.

I likely won't sell the FZ6 for a couple years. At least not until I can afford the daytona 675 with cash. Until then, I am so happy with my little fizzer. :)

I'd be hard pressed to find a SINGLE replacement for what i use the fz for... however if i was in a position where i could have multiple bikes then it would be an sv1000 for the longer rides and a r6/zx6 for the mountains.

This is my 8th bike, only owned it 3 weeks, but the flaws are pretty glaring.

1. I need suspension adjustment. I don't want to rip the forks apart every time I take a passenger for a ride, or switch from the street to the track.

2. The on/off clutch engagement is a huge pain. I'm considering killernoodle's mod, but exploring other options first.

3. The on/off fuel injection is the worst of any bike I've owned. Seriously, WTF Yamaha?

I think that's it, but the last two are huge marks against the bike. Clutch and throttle matter A LOT.

2. You've already discovered the killernoodle mod for the lack of clutch friction zone. Just had one quick ride since installing it last week -- amount of force needed engage the clutch is definitely reduced. Not sure about the engagement zone yet, but it seemed more forgiving.

3. I and others have installed the G2 Throttle Tamer to address this. I found it smoothed things out nicely on starts and when throttling back.
See:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/41520-throttle-tamer-not-bad.html

G2 Tamer Throttle Tube

More on topic, the only thing that has given me doubts about the FZ6 is the dreaded buffeting from the windscreen. At 5'8", I felt like a bobble head doll with the stock screen at highway speeds with the wind stream hitting me at neck level. Definitely affected my confidence as a new rider. A Puig Touring screen (four inches taller, I think) put the wind stream around the forehead and was smoother for me, but was very noisy at even low speeds. Ear plugs became mandatory. I put an MRA Vario Touring Screen on this winter (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-variotouringscreen-windshield-for-yamaha-fz6-s2-fazer-07) and look forward to better riding weather to see if it is the windscreen panacea many of us seek.

I don't think the bike will go up for sale until I need to simplify my life, to relocate or whatever, by shedding possessions. Or if I finally surrender to the traffic and bad drivers in this area.

Last edited:
I have the MRA screen and I like it better than the Puig touring screen. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
the 6 is still a very capable bike heading into my 4th season owning it. After riding the ninja 1000 and also the Gsxr 1000 it kind of gives a good perspective of how well rounded the 6 really is. Been touring with it and loving the all day riding comfort.

Sell it? Not sure I would part with it if I pick up a new ride

Yes, I thought about it, actually I did put it up for sale on CL. But I wasn't really sure about it.......I now have 16K+ happy miles on it. Yes I'd like to keep it, as I'm the 1st owner of this awesome bike.
I really like the new 2013 Kawee ninja 300 in Green...as another bike, but can't afford it right now.

I really have no reason to sell my 6, does everything I want it and need it for and some, but my 1st true bike love is a z1000 there was just something I loved about that bike and still would buy one today, right now but am def not selling the fz6

I love my FZ6, but I find myself lusting for the new Street Triple. The FZ6 has plenty of top-end power, but I'd like a bit more low/mid-range grunt. The Triumph just looks and sounds awesome too. I'll probably keep the Yamaha for at least another year or two though.

I still have my fizzer, but it's for sale(shameless plug). Bought an S3, and I don't need to have 3 bikes sitting around the garage...

So I guess I'm selling it for space/monetary reasons. I do like the bike, I have no issues with it at all really. I got the S3 because I wanted a liter bike, a faster bike. I'm sure I'll miss the FZ's supple suspension on the commute to work though, the roads in NW PA aren't exactly...smooth.

My FZ6 is perfect for everything I need. I'll probably get a cruiser at some point, as my girlfriend doesn't like riding pillion on Trillian.

I doubt I will EVER get rid of this bike! :thumbup:
the only thing I could possibly ever conceive of is getting a FJR1300 and still keeping the FZ.

Honestly I had kind of planned on keeping my fz6 and ride it till the wheels fall off, well that's prolly what will happen next! I got the bike so cheep and really couldn't justify selling it until recently. But there comes a time when you have to realize that when a ride spends more time in the shop than on the street, its no longer a ride but a "project" and I for one have too many projects. I normally get bored with stuff pretty easy but I never got bored with the fz6, I might be insatiable and always want more but somehow the fz6 always gave me a little more. Once I get it back together ill have one last hoorah, I just hope it stays together long enough for me to enjoy bike week with it.

The more I use my bike the more I like it.
If I get a second bike (or third, or fourth, etc) I envision keeping the FZ6. I'd really like to one day post a picture here showing 100,000 miles in the odometer ;)

Do I like other bikes, indeed, and actually I'm really thankful I have a marvelous opportunity, twice a year, to ride different bikes (demo rides at Daytona).

As of right now, I believe my second bike could be a small dual sport, that is what I probably see myself using the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always find my self looking on the net for differenent bikes. Ususally just thinking of trading it for FZ8, FZ1 , CB1000 , or even some times at the cbr and r1 range. But for some reason, whenever i get on my bike for a ride especially on the mountains, i find my self smiling while taking the curves with my ass hanging out and then at the end sitting on a bench looking at the bike and saying to my self
"I have to be crazy to ever want to sell this bike"

I think about it all the time. Still hasn't happened after 5 years.

I do want a Vmax some day, but I might just keep both since it's not really costing me anything to hold on to.

I actually had mine up for sale last July after I had bought a new Triumph Tiger 1050. The Tiger was my dream bike as it fit me and my girlfriend perfectly and the Triple was intoxicating.

I received a few phone calls on the FZ6, but most people thought it had too many miles at 22,000 miles. Well, I ended up selling the Triumph as it had too many issues in just 4,000 miles and kept the "old" FZ6. I am now up to 48,000 miles and still trucking. I intend to run Z, as I call my FZ6, until it deserves to go out to pasture, but it is due some maintenance, so I always weigh the cost of maintenance versus buying something new.

Daytona Bike week is next week so I'll test ride a bunch of bikes and see if any tickle my fancy. It will be hard to beat Z for what it offers to me. The best thing is it still puts a smile on my face even though I ride it for my commute over 100 miles every work day. It's a damn good bike with many memories on it, so how do you put a price on that?

Back