Thinking / thought about selling your FZ6?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought this would make for an interesting topic: if you're thinking of selling your FZ6 or have every thought about it, what was the reason?

Bored with it? Want more power? Want a different type of bike (cruiser, Full-on sport)? Just really like something else? Don't want to ride anymore? :eek:

Let's hear your reasons!

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm only about 9 months into owning my '06. I feel like I'll keep her around a few more years (still need to name her). It's such a nice, well-balanced bike in my eyes that I could only think of a selling it to go bigger when I've had more road time. Maybe an FZ1, a Monster :drool:, or a Street Triple (dreaming, here). Anyway, this is all speculative, and you'll see me on the forum if that day ever arrives. I've yet to get the bike naked & repaint it, so this is all caffeine talking, at the moment. :BLAA:

Good topic. I can't wait to hear what other people say. :thumbup:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
interesting i think mine is greed, i have spent a ton getting the fz6 how i want it then i see a new shinny toy and think oooooo i can afford that then i jump back on FZ6 and have a little ride and forget all about the new toy but when im in the shop they draw me in for test rides :O I need to stay away

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I should answer my own question and explain what made me sell my FZ6.

I LOVED my FZ6. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it and I could have kept it much longer than I have. When I did own it I played around with different screens and found that no screen at all felt best to me.. at least in warm weather.

I ended up converting my bike to naked and liked it even more set up like that.. and rode it for a few seasons.

Few years ago, I became a rider coach and this required quite a bit of highway travel.. and much of it in cold weather. This is where I found complete absence of screen to be a big issue. My eyes would start tearing up 3 minutes into the ride.

One option was to go back to faired setup (expensive and quite time-consuming).. the other option was to get something else (or I could have gone with full heated gear, but it didn't occur to me at the time).

I did always drool over FZ1.. so that's what I ended up getting. my FZ6 went to a good home and the new owner and I occasionally ride together (along with other forum members).

One of the cool things about FZ1 in terms of screens.. stock one can be cut down to practically nothing. Can't cleanly do that on FZ6 (because the fairing has those plastic "stays" that stick up quite a bit). So I use a tall touring screen in warm weather and a very short screen in warm weather :D

Reaction score
Visit site
You really want to know? :rolleyes:

Shortly after buying it, there were many regrets. I focused too much on what the bike [doesn't] have, and overlooked all of the good.
Then came the second year, and I thoroughly bonded with it, just the way it is. Had a blast with it, actually.
To part with it now, and have to pay out $$$ all over again on something new is not an option.
At this point, someone would have to pry this bike from my cold, dead fingers to get it :D

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of selling the FZ6 until John found the FZ1.
We paid $6700 for it with a little under 2000 miles on it. The FZ1 is faster & smoother and the fact that it could be lowered much easier than the 6 was a huge plus for me, since I am vertically challenged. ;)

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Bored with it?
I thought I got bored with it but that was only because I was lusting over the Trumpy's ST3.I wasn't riding enough during the colder months and drooling over bikes listed on craigslist in my spare time. But then one fateful weekend I took it out for a spin with temps below 30F and had a blast. I quit my search and did a couple of mods to my FZ6

Want more power?
Sure I would love to have more low end power but I can wait to get my hands on that some day.

Want a different type of bike (cruiser, Full-on sport)?
May get a cruiser bike for my wife some day, love the sport bikes but find them much too uncomfortable for street use, for track use hells yeah.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The truth is FZ6 fulfills pretty much all my essential NEEDS as a rider.

Does it look like a sexy Italian supermodel that would impress all the guys? Nope.

But is looks like an average girl that is not high maintenance and is forgiving to the ****ty roads of NYC.

Why would I need a 1000cc bike if I ride in stop light traffic?
Why would I want to be a prime target for motorcycle thieves. Have you seen Honda Civic owners complain that their cars are being always stolen? Nope.

Why would I want a higher mpg?

She's a workhorse that I am not afraid to own and clock more than 90,000 miles on it.

Half fairing is perfect for me. Good enough wind protection in colder weather and faster service time because I don't have to fiddle with fracken plastics like in my Concourse.

Would I sell it?

Unless you can find me a comfortable and as versatile street standard bike like FZ6, then no.

Bottom line is there is no comparable street bikes that meet the versatility of this bike at this price point.

I will keep it until I kill it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought this would make for an interesting topic: if you're thinking of selling your FZ6 or have every thought about it, what was the reason?

Bored with it? Want more power? Want a different type of bike (cruiser, Full-on sport)? Just really like something else? Don't want to ride anymore? :eek:

Let's hear your reasons!
I plan on keeping the FZ6 until it has rotted out from under me. I'm keeping it as the ultimate winter hack. I think my next bike will be more of an Enduro type bike.
Not really interested in anything I can't pick up of the floor so with that regard a 600 is about my limit.
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Let's hear your reasons!
Ok Fess up, why did you swap yours out?

neil

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my 8th bike, only owned it 3 weeks, but the flaws are pretty glaring.

1. I need suspension adjustment. I don't want to rip the forks apart every time I take a passenger for a ride, or switch from the street to the track.

2. The on/off clutch engagement is a huge pain. I'm considering killernoodle's mod, but exploring other options first.

3. The on/off fuel injection is the worst of any bike I've owned. Seriously, WTF Yamaha?

I think that's it, but the last two are huge marks against the bike. Clutch and throttle matter A LOT.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Eric started this thread to torment me:BLAA:
Almost every reason posted is spot on for me, however, some of the bikes faults I have remedied, others I learned to deal with. Those faults just add character to the bike and my love for it. To me, this bike rides very much like the 97 yz250 I use to have and was easy for me to adapt to.

Sure, I WANT an fz1. After I got to ride Eric's bike (thanks:Flip:), I wanted one real bad! So bad I dreamed about it....But at the end of the day, I wont get rid of my little fizzer for a while, if ever. After a week of not riding I go crazy....A mile down the road and I remember why I love this bike so much:thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

1. I need suspension adjustment. I don't want to rip the forks apart every time I take a passenger for a ride, or switch from the street to the track.

2. The on/off clutch engagement is a huge pain. I'm considering killernoodle's mod, but exploring other options first.

3. The on/off fuel injection is the worst of any bike I've owned. Seriously, WTF Yamaha?

I think that's it, but the last two are huge marks against the bike. Clutch and throttle matter A LOT.

1. This bike was not built with a purpose to be used on track. But I agree. Suspension is adequate for day to day relaxed street riding. Anything more aggressive the front just gives out.

2. It's not that bad. I actually liked it until I had to ride in a bumper to bumper traffic. My hand was killing me after 5 minutes.

Do yourself a favour and get the KN mod. I have it and it's very nice. It will fix the problem.

3. I disagree. I don't think there's an abrupt throttle issue. I guess it may depend on how you ride it as well. This is my 6th bike and the worst throttle/fuel injection I encountered was on cruisers. then again They were V-twins. More down low power than I4 engine.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site

There's your problem. Give it a few months and you get used to everything you mentioned. I friggin love my bike and honestly can't think of another bike that would do EVERYTHING so well.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like my FZ6 and I still have it. I've recently thought about selling it so this kinda hits home for me.

First I would say that I bought my FZ6 in 2006. It wasn't even a year old and had one previous owner. It has been a great bike but last year I got the chance to buy an FZ1. Something I've been drooling over for a while and I had the money..

I now have both and I've found the 6 just sits around. :spank: I thought about trying to set it up for my wife but she needs it to be lower and I don't think it is possible to get it that low (as she wants it). I also thought about doing a track bike take on it but the more and more I think about it the more I'm trying to turn it into an R6.

I've also been thinking of getting an endro bike but I can't afford to buy one so the thought of selling/trading for a similar year KLR 650 has been playing through my head... (something I've wanted before I owned the FZ6)

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my FZ for a half a year, and I love it more,and more every weekend.
With all the mods that I have on her, she has really come into her own.

For me the FZ has enough power to be fun, but not break the bank on fuel, and service.

I spent a lot of time looking at just about every bike under 800cc, and the FZ won hands down for me. Even today when I look at bikes, (and I do a lot)I'm still very happy with the FZ. Bang for the buck, the FZ6s2 is very hard to beat.:rockon:

Maybe later I would like to have a Euro bike just because. :BLAA:

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
In all honesty, my '07 FZ6 will more than likely be sold this Spring. Nothing against the bike but I'm cutting back to one bike(had 5 in the garage at one time). My wife has ridden all over the US with me but rheumatoid arthritis has kept her from riding with me for almost 7 years. Her current treatments have given her the ability to get back on a bike with me and I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity all that I can. I love the FZ and IMO it's just about the nicest all-around cycle I've ever owned. Unless I change my mind, though, I'll be going back to my Royal Star Venture as my only bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are all traders and quitters.

As long as my bike runs, I will never get rid of it. Doesn't mean I won't get another bike, just means I'll have more. I just rolled over 85k miles.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would still have one if I could afford 2 bikes. I traded mine in for the 09 R1. I do most of my riding in the twisties and I often rode with a group with a lot of liter bikes. My FZ6 was very strong. Dyno'd with a Power Commander and a few other mods. It lacked in the suspension area. I could've kept modding it but I wanted to try the R1 and the R1 was a great bike. I eventually totaled the R1 with injuries.:eek::(
The FZ6 is a fantastic bike. You won't find anything like it for it's price. It's quality and engineering for the money is ahead of other bikes. Yamaha would be smart to continue this bike! :)

Last edited: