The point of a helmet lock?

Kassassin

Reaction score
Visit site
I just really don't feel secure using it. It seems like someone smart enough would just walk by and snip the straps and go home with a 400$ helmet and replace them. Is there a secure way to attach them that I don't know of?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I never use it. I either take the helmet with me or leave it on one of the mirrors.

W

wrightme43

You cant reattach them supposedly.

Idiots here where them on thier heads backwards anyway, so I dont guess they care.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It's the same reason for having locks on glass doors: it keeps honest people honest. Most people will be deterred if a helmet is locked to a bike, and eliminates the "opportunity" thefts. It's the same as having a bed cover on a truck. If people don't see what's in the bed, they're generally not going to go searching through it to see if there's anything worth steeling.

coiled

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my good helmet which I will always take with me or my other helmet, nothing wrong with it, that I am happy to leave on mirror if for a long time or dodgy place I run a cable lock through it to handlebars or triple tree or the forks.

I had to remove my helmet lock when I fitted the ventura anyways but before I did the couple of times I used it I found it really dicky and awkward.

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
i use it for my cheap helmet,(scratched and around 100euro worth) for the shoei XR1000 i never ever use it. its usefull when i travel with a mate so he can use the cheap one and use the helmet lock and only i need to carry around the good one (or for settings like beach etc) i get my heavy duty chain and secure it on the bike.

two of my friends actually got their helmets stolen via similar mechanisms (in seat hooks in kawasakis) with a knife, one even got his gloves stolen from inside the helmet but not the helmet. you can never be too safe

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound like a noob but I don't recall seeing an helmet lock on the bike. 2006 FZ6 that is. Just the seat lock. To be honest I didn't look all that hard. Any one have a pic?

I typically hang it on the handle bars or carry it with. If I'm in a area that I feel is 'safe' but I won't have the bike in view, I'll often strap it to the grab bar. Like a helmet lock, it requires more than a snatch and grab but they can steal it if they like. Heck I have a hard enough time undoing the straps when it is on my head. :)

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound like a noob but I don't recall seeing an helmet lock on the bike. 2006 FZ6 that is. Just the seat lock. To be honest I didn't look all that hard. Any one have a pic?

I typically hang it on the handle bars or carry it with. If I'm in a area that I feel is 'safe' but I won't have the bike in view, I'll often strap it to the grab bar. Like a helmet lock, it requires more than a snatch and grab but they can steal it if they like. Heck I have a hard enough time undoing the straps when it is on my head. :)

06 doesn't have one. They didn't show up until 07.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a full face helmet and a steel wire I made at work.

The wire goes through the front of the helmet and attaches in a loop to the bike with a padlock.

I have never heard of a helmet being cut off a bike.

Steve

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I use mine all the time to keep the honest people honest. I also think it protects against the random teenagers that think it's funny to throw my helmet across the parking lot or something else destructive.

Destructive kids are also the reason I roll up my car windows when I have nothing in my car worth stealing.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site

I posted some pics that I use to lock my helmet on my 06
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/24032-helmet-lock-2.html

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it. I use an old school mountain bike seat leash so I can loop through two helmets. I'll also use the leash to lock up my jacket too; just slide it through the arm.

Usually I carry the helmet with me.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree...the helmet lock is useless. It's also awkward to use. Best bet is a top case, I love mine.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only use it if I go to the bike racing etc, where there are a lot of other bikes parked together. If my husband goes with his XJR1300, I put my helmet in his GIVI, otherwise I drag it around with me. I don't trust people. They will steal anything, even if they cut the strap to do it!

Twigs

Bad Girl
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to sound like a noob but I don't recall seeing an helmet lock on the bike. 2006 FZ6 that is. :)

No mine doesn't have one either, but if it had, I can't imagine it would be that easy to use; I find replacing the seat tricky enough as it is!

We use these http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/images/products/1880/pacsafe85.jpg originally made as you can see for backpackers and they come in 2 sizes; small one is ideal for a helmet and the larger one can take your helmet and your leathers, boots etc, ideal on a warm, sunny day :thumbup:

copperhd5

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't use them as they are easily defeated. As someone stated earlier, it keeps the honest person honest A helmet lock would be great used in a venue where you are in close proximity to it or a "controlled" environment. This is a different world and the safest bets (IMHO) are to carry it with you or to lock your helmet in a topbox where it's out of sight.

I take my helmet with me. Granted, carying the helmet with me is inconvenient at best, but it would be more inconvenient having to take time to purchase another after some moron has stolen or damaged it (time + being pissed + spending money which could have been or probably was allocated for something else!). Carrying my helmet with me is definitely a no-brainer since attaching a bluetooth headset. Just my $.02.

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry my helmet with me. When i bought a backpack I made sure a full face helmet would fit. I just dont trust anyone and there is just to many scumbags out there anymore.