The litt;e FZ6 that COULD. (a build update)

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you may have followed my threads over the last couple years. Most havnt. Here is a recap.... 09 black fz6. Purchased new. I would say at this point, my mod list is quite extensive.

Quick recap: R6 header with side exit R6 muffler.

Custom advanced timing rotor(+5*)

Removed as much weight as possible(400lbs wet as is)

EBC Kevlar clutch

Woodcraft clip on bars

R1 rear shock, stock FZ6 spring

Full Racetech front(1.1kg springs, valve emulators,
BellRay 10w fork oil @ 130mm air gap)

Various tidbits, ie. cut down windshield, shaved signals,
full blackout scheme, mirrors.

So the bike is pretty stout as is. I can hang with any 600 on the road, and have bested quite a few. Winter will bring the next round. I have decided to pull the head and port the intake side. Im raising compression to about 13:1 and installing R6 cams. Also doing a custome velocity stacks. Guess Im going to have to break down and get a PC5 as well.... I have a number in my head and that number is 120WHP! Yes, I want to see 120 ponies to the ground!! I feel like this is in reach for this engine. So wish me luck guys.

Oh! and the most recent pics....

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck, 120 at the ground is a lofty goal! Looks great. I was wondering if you had any pics of it with bars on so I could see the change, how different are the clips?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn!! FZ1 only puts 129 to the ground and it's a lot heavier. I wanna go for a ride with you when you're done and swap bikes for a bit :BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
D,
I wrote a compression ratio calculator in java for htm which is attached here. You can calculate how much the gasket needs to thin or material from the head needs shaved once you get the actual numbers like the gasket thickness and chamber volume with valves installed.

Open the file, do SAVE AS, and REMOVE the TXT extension so its "CompRatio2.htm" and double click on it or drag it into a browser window. Let me know if you have any questions.

FI

View attachment 45802

Last edited:

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
The clip ons are MUCH different. Gives a whole new stance. Gave me almost 3" forward, which is what I needed at 6'4". And about 2" lower. Removing weight isnt difficult...well the first 35-40lbs. The exhaust was a HUGE savings. Pulled the center stand. Removed all exhaust, undertail brackets. Not quite 60lbs. about 50.

Eric, I might get within 10-13whp of your FZ1, but u still have close to DOUBLE the torque! Honestly, I cant believe how well I can "keep up" with my buddy and his 01 R1. Cant beat beat him, and he can leave me on a straight. Stop light to stop light, is me, and Im right with him on twisties.(thank you new suspension).

Thanks Randy, thats a nice little program.

It's gonna do what its gona do in the end. In any case, I love the bike again. It is so fun to ride with how I have it set up.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound silly, but I really don't understand trying to make a bike something that it's not. The FZ6 is a fantastic all around entry level bike, it's not a super sport.

Why spend all the time and money trying to get the FZ6 do perform (likely, not even as well) like a 600RR/GSX-R/R6 does straight out of the box. Just imagine if you applied that same energy into one of the above bikes what you would get.

Either way, good luck!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it's not about trying to make something into what it not (by the way who's to say just what it is-----the owner) but its about turning something into your own something. Some people do it through looks, some do it through power, and some just fall in line with all the other sheeple and do nothing.

Personally my favorite thing to watch is any sort of motorsports, can you imagine how boring they would be if no one every modified their machines for more power? Ok tractor pulls might be taking that a little too far but I'm sure you get my point lol

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound silly, but I really don't understand trying to make a bike something that it's not. The FZ6 is a fantastic all around entry level bike, it's not a super sport.

Why spend all the time and money trying to get the FZ6 do perform (likely, not even as well) like a 600RR/GSX-R/R6 does straight out of the box. Just imagine if you applied that same energy into one of the above bikes what you would get.

Either way, good luck!

hahahaahha!! Too funny kid. My boss has a Gixxer 6er.. 05. I have destroyed him more times than I can count(as well as 2 other) Matched a 600rr move for move. And was no contest with 4 CBR F4is. I have spent very little on my bike. The next round of mods is going to cost me about $300( another $300 for the PC5 I guess), and yeild HUGE gains. Bah, nevermind. No convincing the ignorant or irrational. My bike is here anytime anyone wants to see/ride it and go OH ****!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bah, nevermind. No convincing the ignorant or irrational. My bike is here anytime anyone wants to see/ride it and go OH ****!!

I would love to, just because I'm the type of guy who rarely notices any differences in any mods, upgrades or any after market parts. Iridium plugs, exhaust, steel braided brake lines, K&M Air Filter, race tech springs etc. But I probably would notice a huge difference with your bike and that's what makes it interesting.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
hahahaahha!! Too funny kid. My boss has a Gixxer 6er.. 05. I have destroyed him more times than I can count(as well as 2 other) Matched a 600rr move for move. And was no contest with 4 CBR F4is. I have spent very little on my bike. The next round of mods is going to cost me about $300( another $300 for the PC5 I guess), and yeild HUGE gains. Bah, nevermind. No convincing the ignorant or irrational. My bike is here anytime anyone wants to see/ride it and go OH ****!![/QUOTE

you way you can beat any of those bikes with a heavy and underpowered bike like a fz6 even if you put nitrous on it

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol it's very possible, plus if the other person is inexperienced you can beat them with a stock fz6. Last time I went to the dragstrip I was bouncing back and fourth between racing a brand new R6, and a 05ish gsxr650, and beat both of them everytime, although if it would have been a 1/2 mile race they would have won no doubt. Even though I beat them time wise there trap speeds were on average 5mph faster than mine.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
im just saying that the fz6 is built so it doesn't compete with supersports,
also those drag races dont prove anything really its how fast the bike can go top speed

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Being able to beat other riders says nothing about the bike, it says more about the rider vs those other riders. I have seen a ninja 250 spank 600s on curvy roads. A bike is only as capable as the rider.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Well of course the rider has a lot to do with it, but in a longer run it does come down to the bike with more power. You don't have to have any skill to crank the throttle all the way back on the interstate lol

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Well of course the rider has a lot to do with it, but in a longer run it does come down to the bike with more power. You don't have to have any skill to crank the throttle all the way back on the interstate lol
True, but it does take experience and skill to launch a bike quickly from a stop. I drag raced a ZX-14 the last time I went to the strip. I had a 17T front sprocket so I was already at a disadvantage. I launched extremely hard, balancing the front wheel coming off the ground, and beat him off the line and had a better 60' time. He didn't pass me until about a third of the way down the track, but when he did pass, he was GONE!

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
hahahaahha!! Too funny kid. My boss has a Gixxer 6er.. 05. I have destroyed him more times than I can count(as well as 2 other) Matched a 600rr move for move. And was no contest with 4 CBR F4is. I have spent very little on my bike. The next round of mods is going to cost me about $300( another $300 for the PC5 I guess), and yeild HUGE gains. Bah, nevermind. No convincing the ignorant or irrational. My bike is here anytime anyone wants to see/ride it and go OH ****!![/QUOTE

you way you can beat any of those bikes with a heavy and underpowered bike like a fz6 even if you put nitrous on it

Well, I guess it's a good thing my bike ISNT heavy and underpowered like yours....... Instead, my bike is pretty light and makes a good bit of power:D

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of you may have followed my threads over the last couple years. Most havnt. Here is a recap.... 09 black fz6. Purchased new. I would say at this point, my mod list is quite extensive.

Oh! and the most recent pics....

Bike looks great!

May I ask why decided to stay with the FZ6?

I could understand all the mods to increase power and have better suspension if you wanted an standard bike, but you put clip ons on it so now it doesn't even have the main difference setting it apart from an R6.

If power is what you are after then modding R6 would make more sense. It's already 120hp stock. Outside of the fairing it's not that much different than now your custom modded FZ6 in terms of performance.

I don't know maybe you are after a "silent sleeper" idea here for the FZ6. Either way it looks pretty great.

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
"I don't know maybe you are after a "silent sleeper" idea here for the FZ6"

Bingo!

It is also not very cost effective to trade in a bike that you have had for a few years and making payments on for another $8000+ bike.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
"I don't know maybe you are after a "silent sleeper" idea here for the FZ6"

Bingo!

It is also not very cost effective to trade in a bike that you have had for a few years and making payments on for another $8000+ bike.

Gotcha!

Yeah now I understand.

:thumbup: