the life and death of a RC heli~Sportrider style

S

sportrider

after several good indoor flights I decided to venture outside, and see what I could really do!!!

Pilots Log
Thursday January 17th 2008: first attempt at outdoor flight.
air field: front yard
Weather conditions: clear skies, good visibility, 5MPH wind from the south.

initial take off smooth, steady hover, altitude: 5 ft.
increasing throttle bringing her up to 10 ft., looking good.... ohh the wind is starting to push her a little, left rudder, forward on the elevator a little... ohh nooo the winds got her now!!! full elevator!!! throttle up!!!! I I I'm loosing her NOOOOOO eject!!!! EJECT!!!!!

Result: broken rotor blade, bent flybar, bent inner rotor shaft, broken lower rotor head.... trip to the hobby shop.

Friday January 18th 2008: second attempt at outdoor flight.
air field: front yard
weather conditions: evening, low visibility 5-7MPH wind from South-southwest.

after replacing the damaged parts, I came to the conclusion I needed more speed then I currently have to overcome the wind speed, an adjustment to a servo arms, recenter the swash plate, and were ready to go. initial take off smooth, steady hover altitude 5 ft. increasing throttle.... bringing her up to 10 ft. steady as she goes, looking good... ohh no the winds got her AGAIN!!! left rudder, forward on the elevators... SHE'S RESPONDING!!!! look at that!!! pushing right through the wind. okay, now to bring her back. a little left on the ailerons, easy...easy, reducing throttle, right rudder forward. touch down!!! Whooo Hooooo first successful outdoor flight in the books.

Results: no damage, note to self: adjustments made Heli very touchy.

Saturday January 19th 2008
air field: large field behind house
weather conditions: excellent visibility, no wind

time to up the ante, I'm taking her to the Field!!! initial take off smooth, skip the low altitude hover I'm gonna see how high this thing can go!!! full throttle!!! look at that thing go!!!! geez it must be 200 ft. in the SKY and still climbing. man I can hardly see it, altitude approx 300 ft. thats high enough I better bring it back. it must be a little windy up there she's starting to drift. no problem forward elevator, a little rudder... nice, reducing throttle. touch down!!! about 10 ft. in front of me. this thing is awesome!!!! repeat flight...same result!!!

Results: no damage, note to self: AWESOME!!!!

Sunday January 20th 2008
air field: large field behind house
weather conditions: excellent visibility, 1-3MPH winds from the northeast

todays goal, some aerial maneuvering. initial takeoff smooth, altitude 150 ft. forward flight... full rudder...nice. more throttle!!! altitude 200 ft. ohh the winds pretty strong... she's drifting, altitude approx 225 ft. bring her back... reducing throttle... I'm loosing her... (PANIC) full aileron... (OOPS) WTF. the rotor blades just flew off... she's burning in!!!! altitude 175-165-155...NOOOOOO SMASH ohh no.. nose first from 150+ ft.

Results. destroyed body, broken rotors bent inner and outer rotor shafts, battery box broken, fly bar bent.
lesson learned: coaxial Heli's can suffer from this phenomenon called rotor clack if a too aggressive control input is given. it seems like Panic isn't a good thing in flying RC heli's either.

here are some pics of the crash damage and the repaired heli up and flying again!!!

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Aww Man! That sucks! Not again. I guess you actually got to fly this one a little bit. My Dad had the same results with his RC airplanes years ago.:(

S

sportrider

no thats the newest edition to the "hanger" the Christmas Heli was a dragonfly 2 ch knock off, then I bought one of those little foam indoor 2 ch heli of eBay. that POS never did fly. So I decided to step up to the 4 ch world. after a little research I found that the Blade CX2 is the best beginner heli out there so I got one. I love that thing!!! parts are cheap and it flies really good. that crash cost me $56.00 in parts.(not bad considering how high it fell from.) I put it back together and it flies just like new. :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a shame about the heli, sounds like you are having fun though :thumbup: Is it repairable or are you looking at a new copter? video's would be entertaining of the flights/crashes.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's time to laugh at someone elses misfortune. This one destroyed itself!:p
[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JdrBihTT3p0"]YouTube - RC Helicopter Crash Funny !!![/ame]

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Could have been worse. I could have crashed into you! I bet those blades can slice right through skin!:eek: Good luck with your next flight.:thumbup: Oh, be sure to duck it it gets too close.

W

wrightme43

That sucks man.
At least it was fun for a while.

order this its almost as much fun.

RC stunt coptor for the PS1 it will work on PS2 too. I love it.
you can get it on ebay for 20$

J

jsteinb95

That sucks man.
At least it was fun for a while.

order this its almost as much fun.

RC stunt coptor for the PS1 it will work on PS2 too. I love it.
you can get it on ebay for 20$

Steve.......come on man.
HE CAN'T SPEND ANYMORE LOL :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man am I glad I brought those shares in the heli manufacturer lol, I'm making a killing cause of Danny.

M

Magseal

here i was reading, feeling really bad for you, as i own a concept 60, and know what bad crashes can do, but then i realised it was a disposable helicopter.....$56.. man....when I crash it's easily $500 on the line.