The gods answer my question

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
When I woke up on Saturday morning for some reason I can't yet explain I had a naggin question at the back of my mind:

If ever I was involved in an accident would I be able to press the engine cut off switch?

The weather was bit drizzly and I was coming from a church service and was ambling along around 30mph. As I approached a bus with passengers getting I put on my paranoia mood (i.e. noone sees me). Now a very strange thing happened, normally I press the hooter or stop completely when I think someone has definately not seen me. But in this case I did neither. I could see that the pedestrian had not even given a look in my direction but I just kept on coming until I had to swerve and engage my brakes to avoid hitting her.

As I was falling all I was thinking was 'stupid woman' while she was busy fussing that she had not seen me (of coz you hadn't darling coz you did not bother looking). Lucky enough I was moving at a low speed and I had my gear on. And most importantly the bike was not injured, except a few scratches here and there. I managed to pick up the bike and ride away.

I could not help but think that my question had been answered in the best way possible (ironic).

But lessons learnt are:
  1. Never use brutal speed when not on the motorway (thankfully on this occassion I was on 30mph)
  2. Make sure your bike has the crash bobbins, they are cheap on ebay. This will save your bike from severe damage and your wallet.
  3. Wear you motorcyling gear coz you never know when the fall comes
  4. Press your hooter when you think pedestrians have not seen you or when they look undecided about crossing the road, to warn them you are coming.
  5. and most importantly you do not have time to press the engine cut-off switch when you are falling over

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha thats the first thing i ever think of once i have hit the deck. i beat the tilt sensor once. its more inportant on the dirt bike tho cause it wont stop when on its side.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, i reckon the kill switch is the last thing you think of when impending doom is approaching very rapidly.

:eek:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the way the bike does a 'slow-mo' fall is just in the riders mind, its actually pretty fast to the onlookers so its probably not unusual to hit the kill switch after it hits the deck! I just know you get to that point of no return and your minds screaming "pick it up pick it up" (luckily only from my old bike and not the fz6 thus far)
That being said...... go for an aftermarket exhaust. Only the deaf old ladies don't know I'm coming. I slow down for them and the pretty woman especially :p

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a gizmo that turns the motor off if the bike is tilted over a certain degree?