The FZ6R... Whats so "R" about it??

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
thinking about the FZ6R... in any other world...cars...boats...other bikes...anything with a motor...doesnt adding "R" to the name denote performance?? It sure does... so...

Why has Yamaha taken the FZ6 and downgraded all the important performance items and then slapped the "R" to its name as if it is supposed to have more performance than the "regular" FZ6 when it clearly does not have any performance advantage??... The FZ6R in fact has less performance. doesnt make sense to me. seems like a ploy used along with the full fairing to trick ppl into thinking its a higher performance bike than the FZ6.

In this case, if the "R" doesnt stand for performance...what does it stand for here?? Retarded? haha...joking, but had to say it.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with you I sat on one at the Cycle world bike show when it rolled though Seattle and I must say I was less than impressed . they had the FZ6 and the R parked right next to one another and there was no contest as to witch one looked better it the FZ6 all the way .

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on one at a bike show too, it had the same stance as the FZ6, although lower.
It seems to be yamaha's answer to entry level full faired sportbikes like the 650R and GS500.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the "r" designation is there to make the poor owner's of this low sec model feel better!!!

I would of thought that a "t" designation, as in "touring" would of been a more valid designation for this bike, which is clearly aimed at older owners, who most would presume, are over the "boy racer" faze of their riding, and want a bike that is ore relaxed.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always thought RR was for "Race Replica" mabey the "R" stands for just Replica. Its a replica of a FZ6??

Nelly

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
in the UK thread of this i had a rant at how UK bikes are marketed and sold over here,BUT this bike is at least had been placed into the "diversion" category, a well regarded tourer/luggage mule with a bullet proof air/oil engine and shaft drive. my father in law owns a 900 and he loves it but would NOT look into getting a modern relpacment..so if all the age 50+ riders take this veiw (who i seem to see riding these) where do the sales come from??..could they be trying to get to the younger riders the R6'esque style on the US model would suggest this

The UK might not get the full fairing but we know what the bike is..so what does that say for the U.S? is yamaha suggesting that the U.S market is gullable enough this see an R and buy the bike on the name alone? only yamaha can tell us

so this seems to raise more questions on both variants on both sides of the pond

Who will buy it?
why?
what are the benifits ? (probably asthetics in the U.S case)
or should we give this bike the clean slate and forget about the FZ/FJ predesessors wait to see what its client base reports back on it..i guess we will get all these answers 1 year after its release

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always thought RR was for \"Race Replica\" mabey the \"R\" stands for just Replica. Its a replica of a FZ6??

Nelly

LOL! That's 2 posts in a row, that you have cracked me up with! If it is an fz6 replica,it's a pretty lame one!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the 'R' is for RETRO. It would explain why Yamaha decided to break out the old swingarm and ditch the aluminum frame....

They had a LOT of FZ6Rs out front at the Detroit motorcycle show. Only one FZ6 was there and it was buried. People definitely seemed interested in the 'R' based on looks.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R=Reduced.

Reduced Performance
Reduced Handling
Reduced Grip
Reduced Height
Reduced Fun
Reduced Price
:thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are pronouncing it wrong.

It is "AH"....like AH Bisto.

AH an FZ6
AH not as expensive as an R6
AH not as heavy as a FJR

Its that type of "AH"

Steve

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
Maybe the "R" is for Recession! It is probably cheaper to produce therefore cheaper for the dealer to buy and considerably mark up the price and now that we have more and more people riding bikes to " save money " having some plastic slapped on the thing it might sell to the younger crowd.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know, but I'm really disappointed and I think Yamaha really dropped the ball with the naming of this bike. They should have just left it be "Diversion" or whatever it is elsewhere. I think they'd do better with it, instead of confusing people, and pissing off real FZ owners.