The FZ6 and VFR dilemma

Reaction score
Visit site
So guys.. I been on the Fazer for some time now; its been great but I've just been given an opportunity to switch to something else.

A good buddy of mine that I went to the Chicago trip is thinking of moving back to Chicago *Wife got home sick* it wont be for another year or so and is most likely going to be selling his bike.

*2002 Honda VFR800 red has 14k miles on it and won't break 20k when he sells*

and I asked him how much and seeing how I'm his buddy he is going to give me a good deal on it.

Well getting to my main point here; if he does end up selling his bike;
1. Would it be a good idea to switch from my 05 fazer to his 02 vfr800
2. How much do you reckon my Fazer is worth and I'm talking about top reasonable dollar. I'm not looking to sell it right now but I'm just wondering what you guys would be willing to pay for my bike given the condition and miles etc. etc. etc. so that way I can start planning ahead and save.

*The Bike*-
2005 Yamaha FZ6 *Silver* 10.5K miles
-PowerBronze Fairing
-LeoVince Titanium Exhaust with midpipe *stock included*
-Flush Mount Led front and rear turn signals
-Puig Racing WindScreen; light smoke colour
-Corin Seat
-Renthal Dual Compound Kevlar grips
-Fender Eliminator

Everything else is stock but I'll include some pictures as well

xdh451.jpg

xoqe08.jpg

jjphg6.jpg

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
1. If you like it, then go for it! I love the looks of it as well. It's got about 10 more hp than the FZ, though is also 50 pounds heavier and gets worse gas mileage. No clue how insurance will change, but it's something to look into.

I wouldn't mind changing bikes, just to ride something else, but I can't get away from my belief that the FZ6 is most perfect all around bike out there. Great gas mileage, cheap insurance, cool looks, easy to ride, comfortable riding position, good handling, FAST when I need it to be, tame when I just want to cruise, decent aftermarket support, decent touring ability, and easy to maintain. I keep trying to find something out there that is better for street riding, partial touring, and gas mileage (not to mention something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg), but I don't think it exists!

2. I think you could sell it for 3k, especially if you wait until Spring. Though since you live in Texas, I don't know how that works...lol. Put it on craigslist for 3500 and see if you get any bites. Plus you can probably make more by selling off the exhaust and seat separately.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Dad has the same year VFR and after a go on my bog standard 05 FZ6, he was a little bit disappointed to be back on the Honda. It's a personal choice thing. If it's the bike for you go for it. Or swap up to a newer VFR after trading your FZ6 in.

Neil

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is why I would not:

1. It weighs 90 pounds more than FZ6 (wet weight: 554 vs 464).
2. The handlebar is a lot lower than on FZ6 (even with FZ1 bar). Too aggressive for me for long days in the saddle.
3. It was the first model year for that generation of VFR and I remember reading about issues with those bikes. Don't remember specifics, but I highly recommend you research it before you buy it.
4. Very expensive valve adjustment and very difficult to do yourself. This is just something I've read, so again.. if you're serious about it definitely research it.
5. Linked brakes.

There are plenty of things I like about VFR. The cool turbo-like feel at 7k rpm (when it switched from 2 valves per cylinder to 4). The hydraulic clutch. The low end torque. It's a great bike.. it's just not for me.

Question is, is it for you? Have you ridden it? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted a VFR when I bought my FZ, but there weren't any decently priced ones to be found. For a good price, if I had the means, I'd probably jump on one in a heartbeat. Not because there's something wrong with the FZ, just because I've always had a soft spot for V4s. That said, if that's a VTEC year (I forget) I've never heard anyone actually like the turbo lag feel of it, but I haven't talked to a long term owner of one. And the linked brakes, well...

You could likely get $3k, if you wait for riding season, and wait to find the right buyer. I know I wouldn't pay $3k for an S1 when I could find a newer, better S2 for $500 more all day long. I paid $2200 for my '04 with 8k or so on it, with a recon title but no visible damage. That's probably a little more than I SHOULD have paid, but the title wasn't disclosed until I went to hand over cash, and I had a bunch of sunk costs in going to get it. :rolleyes: I'd think you could pretty quickly and easily get $2500, even off season.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
About the VFR

Good:
Best bike honda has ever made IMO - VFR800
800cc V4 is an incredibly reliable block, all the benefits of a V-twin with the ability to rev higher.
super smooth
lots of torque
Vtec VVT system
quite a bit of unlockable power in the bike
super stable and comfortable
aftermarket exhausts are cheaper than FZ

and if i remember correctly the '02 is the last year of the first gen VFR800 (98-02) and gen2 is (03+)

Bad:
it's a bit heavy
not as much high end as the FZ
Gas mileage not quite as good (probably not much worse when taking it easy due to VVT)
bars are heli-style if i remember correctly (preference thing)
insurance will go up as you cross over the 600cc mark and full sportbike classification

i am a bit biased toward the VFR as it is my favorite bike, i also like the look of the 98-02 models the best. i rode an 06 and remember it being quite a bit stronger than the FZ, especially the low end and midrange. pulling out of corners is pretty awesome on a VFR.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and if i remember correctly the '02 is the last year of the first gen VFR800 (98-02) and gen2 is (03+)

Nope, 02 is the first model year of the newer style. Most argue that 98-01 was a better bike. I've ridden 00 model.. GREAT motor and great sound!!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
VFR's hold their value really well, so even though his is older with more miles, yours is probably worth less. Put it back to as stock as possible, and you could probably sell it for $2500-3000. Then sell the corbin, exhaust, windscreen, lower fairing, and bar risers separately, and you could probably make up the difference in price.

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I've read all about the VFR before I bought the Fazer as those two were the biggest contender.

Personally, the pros outweigh the con on the VFR for me.

Thanks for the input on this subject matter and about trying to part out the aftermarket bits for the bike. the only thing I can probably do that with is the fairing and exhaust as I do not have the stock windscreen or stock seat anymore =(

Honestly; if I can really get 3k for the bike then I'll break even for what I paid for it and most likely my friend will be letting go of his VFR for 3k for me as well so money wouldn't be the deciding factor but more of do I like the VFR enough to change.

=/ So much to think about but I got plenty of time.

Perhaps if I get lucky maybe someone will buy it for $3500 because honestly, thats really the target price that I'm looking to sell it for. In my area at least the lowest used price for the fazer is $3000 and the top is $5900 which is too and the owner is crazy if he thinks he can sell it for that much but thats just me; if 3K is what it is then I gotta live it, I rather break even then to lose money XD

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
A guy at my last job had the VFR800 and let me ride it for about an hour on a group ride we were on. I was glad to get back on the FZ6 after riding his bike. It has more power, especially at the low end, and a more linear powerband, but I couldn't stand the sound it made when the v tec kicked in. It is a more aggressive seating position and therefore feels a bit more sporty. I just didn't dig it. I was expecting to love it, but I was disappointed.

As others have said, I truly believe the FZ6 is the best all around bike that exists.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input on this subject matter and about trying to part out the aftermarket bits for the bike. the only thing I can probably do that with is the fairing and exhaust as I do not have the stock windscreen or stock seat anymore =(

Stock seats on ebay for $40-50. Used corbins go for $250-300. Just sayin.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps if I get lucky maybe someone will buy it for $3500 because honestly, thats really the target price that I'm looking to sell it for. In my area at least the lowest used price for the fazer is $3000 and the top is $5900 which is too and the owner is crazy if he thinks he can sell it for that much but thats just me; if 3K is what it is then I gotta live it, I rather break even then to lose money XD

If you find someone offering $3500, drive them to the bank to withdraw you some cash. :BLAA: OK, with the Corbin it's probably almost worth it, but mods add almost no value.

I've seen dozens on S2s with lower miles listed on CL for that, and I'm sure plenty don't even sell for asking price. But, I'd gladly eat a $500 loss to upgrade to a VFR, with a smile on my face the whole time!

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
When a cager took my beloved FZ away from me I switched to an 03 VFR. I LOVED it. A lot more comfortable and smoother. My knees were killing me after 300 miles on my FZ. With the VFR on the other hand I've done multiple 700 mile days with 0 issues. (I'm 6'6" so this may not be an issue for you). I put ~20K miles on my VFR in my first year riding it and I also took it to the track once and for me it is the superior STREET bike option hands down.

IMO it all boils down to what type of riding you do. If you're a canyon carver and highly spirited rider, I think the VFR is a bad choice since once you start getting up to track speed, you start dragging your footpegs and boots and the cheapest adjustable rearset options for the VFR were in the ~$400-$500 range if I'm not mistaken. Having said that, I put my knee down on the VFR without any issues and without dragging my pegs, so what I said above refers to really spirited street or normal track riding.

Now if you find yourself enjoying the twisties but you also enjoy to be comfortable during the other 500 miles of your trip, the VFR is the better option. Yeah you won't go dragging your elbows on it but it's certainly good enough to let you break some laws with the added benefit of being comfortable for day-long rides.

Hope this helps.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I would deffo return your FZ to stock before shifting it, even if it means going for ebay bits to do so as you'll still make savings. Obviously you can also offer the add-ons to the new owner as extras.