The Belgian problem

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you have seen things about my country in the news lately. It comes down to the fact that my government has fallen because of the fact that my country exist's out of 3 community's: the flemish(speaking Dutch), the Walen(speaking French) and the German speaking people. Now, the civilians all live togheter peacefully, but the politicians have been trying to get votes by opposing the flemish and the walen. Normally I don't really pay attention to politics, but now I'm really angry about it. The politicians are trying to split my country with all the economical **** that comes with it. Because now we are internationally seen as an unstable region. Some other country will choose not to work with us anymore. I just am so angry because some stupid politicians can ruïn a good running country.
If we eventually would split up, it now looks inevitable, perhaps we can come again one country with the dutch(the netherlands). We have been historically been one country with them before(that's probably why we speak the same language). I just wanted to vent this to neutral standing people. :)
Damn politicians!!!!

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure which side you're from, but I spoke to someone I know living on the "dutch" side, and he blamed the french side because they were a drain on the economy. More unemployed people, and a big difference in income.
I actually read in a financial magazine, that someone calculated that if the french (the eastern side) got cut off, the western bit would be a much more stable and economicly stronger region.

I don't take side because all I know is what others told me, but yes, the government fell, but how long did it take for them to come to a majority??
wasn't that about 7 months or something??

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure which side you're from, but I spoke to someone I know living on the "dutch" side, and he blamed the french side because they were a drain on the economy. More unemployed people, and a big difference in income.
I actually read in a financial magazine, that someone calculated that if the french (the eastern side) got cut off, the western bit would be a much more stable and economicly stronger region.

I don't take side because all I know is what others told me, but yes, the government fell, but how long did it take for them to come to a majority??
wasn't that about 7 months or something??

Well, I'm dutch speaking aswell(from Ghent). It is a fact that there are economical differences between the 2 sides, but still I think that is not the reason of the problems now. They were arguing on the distibution of votings in brussel, halle and vilvoorde. And that discussion was so hard that they quickly came to the underlying problem of the opposition between the 2 communities. And then the government fell.
My point is, that even though there are big differences between the 2 communities most dutch speaking belgians don't want a split, but politicians do want that. Not the people themselves.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know, well good luck :p
I think we'll be facing similar problems soon, difficulties reaching a majority, and then finally reaching one, but consisting of parties that pretty much want opposite things..

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Phillippe, I really hope your country can get through these difficult times, I hope the different groups can come to some kind of arrangement.
Unfortunately it seams to be the same issues repeatedly causing the troubles, and these have been discussed in length for quite a while now, but nobody can agree to a set of goals and rules.

I have witnessed first hand that some Walloons refuse to speak Dutch to the "native" Flemish people (even though they live in an official dual language country) but on the other hand very happy to speak to me (when they knew I was a Dutch tourist) :confused:

As I understand it the Flemish are made to feel like second rate citizens in their own country, even though they have a larger percentage of working people (and therefore pay the highest tax).

I can totally understand the Flemish people putting thier feet down and saying things have to change, especially with the Walloons refusal to speak Dutch and slowly turning traditionally Dutch speaking area's into French speaking enclaves (as Brussel has now become).

A while ago now I heard a poll on Dutch radio which showed that the majority of Dutch people were happy to join with Flanders, but our government has fallen as well, so I don't know if that would help in any way :eek:

If you want to let off steam you can always do it here

I really hope Belgium can find a solution to their problem as I'm afraid there is no simple answer :(

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not mind to form a Republic of the low countries with Flanders. And also the Belgian tax rates which seem to be lower than the Dutch :eek:

proxxx34

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend we had that situation from '90.-'95. that lead us to war and nobody gave a s**t about us...at least you are already in EU...leave the politics out & enjoy in riding youre bike

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend we had that situation from '90.-'95. that lead us to war and nobody gave a s**t about us...at least you are already in EU...leave the politics out & enjoy in riding youre bike

I appreciate your concern about a similar situation that led your country to war, I can understand where you're coming from. I assure you that both Belgium and the Netherlands are members of both the EU and Nato and this would only occur if all parties (including member states) were in agreement (and were signed in triplicate).

Sorry I did not mean to turn this into a political thread.

I totally agree with you to leave the politics to the polititions and to enjoy riding our bikes :rockon:

officionados

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Philippe or anyonelse,

I'm currently looking for spare parts for my FZ6. I'm trying to find a mudguard new or even used.

Do you know any affordable yamaha spare part suplier. As the mine is really expensive.
Does anybody know any good one on internet?

And about the belgian problem which is obviously the discussion subject; I think that the results of the recent elections is pretty much clear.
Changes have to be made and action taken. It is time to face problem and to fix them. I'm sure there is a solution.

Thanks

Skyder

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you have seen things about my country in the news lately. It comes down to the fact that my government has fallen because of the fact that my country exist's out of 3 community's: the flemish(speaking Dutch), the Walen(speaking French) and the German speaking people. Now, the civilians all live togheter peacefully, but the politicians have been trying to get votes by opposing the flemish and the walen. Normally I don't really pay attention to politics, but now I'm really angry about it. The politicians are trying to split my country with all the economical **** that comes with it. Because now we are internationally seen as an unstable region. Some other country will choose not to work with us anymore. I just am so angry because some stupid politicians can ruïn a good running country.
If we eventually would split up, it now looks inevitable, perhaps we can come again one country with the dutch(the netherlands). We have been historically been one country with them before(that's probably why we speak the same language). I just wanted to vent this to neutral standing people. :)
Damn politicians!!!!

Hi Philippe,

I'm Walloon. I think the Flemish and Walloon are different people..

At the beginning the Walen were the richest part of the country (coalmine, heavy industries,..)

But now it's the Flemish part. The Walen are really poor and there are immigrant problem..

All of this story is for money.. money and money.:D