The $400 sticker!!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i just bought a couple of new Shoei helmets (xr/rf 1100's), and they cost me a pretty penny!!! $700 Australian!!! :eek: and that's with $200 "mates rates" discount!!! the list price is $900 in Australia!!!

Thing is, i could of got EXACTLY THE SAME helmet from the US for $479 US plus shipping! which would of been $45 US....OR $45 Australian...1 for 1 these days! :D

But the thing is, if i bought the helmets from the USA, then they would not have the Australian Standards sticker on them, making the helmets illegal in Australia, and as such, voiding insurance, in the event of an accident!

I think this is a crazy situation! i paid just over $400 more for both helmets in Australia, than what i would of if i bought them in the USA....if i paid the normal price, it would of been more like $800 more in Australia!!!, which most people would have to pay, as the helmets i got at "mates rates", are both brand new graphics designs and as such ARE NOT being discounted anywhere in Australia right now, as the design has only been available for 2 weeks in Oz!!!

Here is the $400 sticker!!!
View attachment 32843

:shakehead:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm $400 doesnt buy you much these days :D

Dont get me started on that sticker , i've had a rant over it before after reading an article in TwoWheels magazine all about it :mad: That sticker is actually an ASX floated company & means bugger all :spank:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm $400 doesnt buy you much these days :D

Dont get me started on that sticker , i've had a rant over it before after reading an article in TwoWheels magazine all about it :mad: That sticker is actually an ASX floated company & means bugger all :spank:

Just like our ridiculous outdated rear mudguard laws! :banghead:

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess there wouldn't be any physical difference between the helmets sold in the compared with the ones in Oz, apart from that compliance sticker. I know it's dodgy, but has anyone tried to peel that sucker off and put it on another helmet? The one on mine looks like it wouldn't survive a helmet transplant...so odds on their designed to be a permanent fixture to our helmets.

(Merry Christmas from Buzzbomb, hope you all have a great day, and keep the rubber side down!)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried pulling the sticker off my old helmet in the hope of buying a cheaper OS helmet but it was an epic fail , seems they are smarter than I gave them credit for :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess there wouldn't be any physical difference between the helmets sold in the compared with the ones in Oz, apart from that compliance sticker. I know it's dodgy, but has anyone tried to peel that sucker off and put it on another helmet? The one on mine looks like it wouldn't survive a helmet transplant...so odds on their designed to be a permanent fixture to our helmets.

(Merry Christmas from Buzzbomb, hope you all have a great day, and keep the rubber side down!)

I've tried pulling the sticker off my old helmet in the hope of buying a cheaper OS helmet but it was an epic fail , seems they are smarter than I gave them credit for :D

Yep....gave it a try myself...they are those silvery stickers that just tear into a million pieces as soon as you try to remove them!

It's a wonder some dodgy individual has'nt worked out a way to make them, and flog em off to us poor pocket raped Aussie motorcyclists!!!

:eek:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about having a bash with a hairdryer to gently warm the adhesive before peeling off the bugger.

Nelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about having a bash with a hairdryer to gently warm the adhesive before peeling off the bugger.

Nelly

Tried that! The adhesive is super strong, and the sticker is super thin!!! They obviously sat in the shed one night with a few beers and "tested" all the dodgy ways people would think of to get them off, before they put them on the market!!!

I searched forum after forum on this subject the other night...and there was heaps of discussion about this issue, and trying to get the stickers off! Didnt find anyone that has succeeded! So Far!!! :D

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one on my coffee table (I think it's still there) from an old helmet. Might get a hard time about the look of the sticker ad the age of the helmet though...lol. I'm led to believe that you can buy them, but I assume the sellers are not advertising too loudly...lol.:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have one on my coffee table (I think it's still there) from an old helmet. Might get a hard time about the look of the sticker ad the age of the helmet though...lol. I'm led to believe that you can buy them, but I assume the sellers are not advertising too loudly...lol.:D

Now you bloody well tell me!!!! :spank:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, I posted it up ages ago:thumbup:...before I bought my Carbon Vader. Was gonna use it if I couldn't get a decent price, and get one from the States.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The sticker doesn't appear to have any holographic emblem on it, is it something you could reasonably reproduce with a computer graphics program? I don't normally endorse forgeries, but damn guys, that's ridiculous. Here in the States we'll soon all have similar problems with our "endorsed" mufflers, thank you CA Governor Schwartzendickhead... :Flip:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The sticker doesn't appear to have any holographic emblem on it, is it something you could reasonably reproduce with a computer graphics program? I don't normally endorse forgeries, but damn guys, that's ridiculous. Here in the States we'll soon all have similar problems with our "endorsed" mufflers, thank you CA Governor Schwartzendickhead... :Flip:

The stickers do have a metallic / holographic sticker under the top layer...when you try and peel the sticker off, it reveals this layer, with the word "void" stamped in holographic lettering all over it. This part of the sticker is virtually fused to the helmet!

The top layer then becomes translucent once peeled off the helmet!!!

mponder

Reaction score
Visit site
My normal response to things like this is Jesse James used a gun to rob people but at least he was honest about what he was doing.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My normal response to things like this is Jesse James used a gun to rob people but at least he was honest about what he was doing.

Yeah, but a disparity in price this large for exactly the same product makes "normal" people consider such shenanigans!!!

It's really does not make any sense!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but a disparity in price this large for exactly the same product makes "normal" people consider such shenanigans!!!

It's really does not make any sense!

I got the impression he is talking about the sticker bandits:Flip:....er...I mean the people who require a sticker to the cost of $400:rolleyes:, not the people trying to wriggle off the hook:(