The 2009 Iron Butt Rally!

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The 2009 Iron Butt Rally is about to begin. Get more info and daily reports here:

Iron Butt Rally - 2009

Someday I'd love to be the first to compete on an FZ6. These guys are absolutely crazy and truly hard-core. :rockon:

I've been following the story of a guy who's riding a 1975 Suzuki RE-5 in the rally. I'm sure they'll follow him closely. For those who don't know, the RE-5 has a ROTARY engine! Personally, I doubt he'll get 1000 miles on it (finishers often ride about 11,000 miles over the 11-day rally). Still, you gotta admire the guts of someone in the 'hopeless' class. A Ninja 250 and a Sportster have done well in the past, so anything is possible.

Sleek05

Reaction score
Visit site
These guys are absolutely crazy and truly hard-core. :rockon:
Yep!

Someday I'd love to be the first to compete on an FZ6.

It would be nice to be the first, but as comfy and versatile as the FZ6 is it's hard not to want a big beemer to chew up the miles!

Thanks for the reminder it's starting - it's always interesting and amazing to follow along. :thumbup:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2009 Iron Butt Rally is about to begin. Get more info and daily reports here:

Iron Butt Rally - 2009

Someday I'd love to be the first to compete on an FZ6. These guys are absolutely crazy and truly hard-core. :rockon:

I've been following the story of a guy who's riding a 1975 Suzuki RE-5 in the rally. I'm sure they'll follow him closely. For those who don't know, the RE-5 has a ROTARY engine! Personally, I doubt he'll get 1000 miles on it (finishers often ride about 11,000 miles over the 11-day rally). Still, you gotta admire the guts of someone in the 'hopeless' class. A Ninja 250 and a Sportster have done well in the past, so anything is possible.

We have several veterans here in Texas. I have met them and it is not unusual to see them ride 2,000 just for fun or 500 miles before breakfast. They tend to love the Honda ST1100 with extra metal tank on the passenger seat.

There was one guy who rode it some time back on a Honda Helix (250 cc) scooter! It ultimately comes down not to the type of bike but the mental fortitude of the individual rider and correctly timing your rest stops in conjunction with astute route planning.

Fred

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for creating another dream in my life :)

That's one kickass event! I hope I can take part in it too one day!!!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to be certified by them one day. This BC trip was just a practice run to gauge my long range capabilities. Many lessons learnt.

Those guys truly are warriors of the road.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh ya, time to stock up on the popcorn and get the daily reports by Tom Austin starting Monday.
I read there is a Suzuki rotary bike in the rally-good luck!
Check out all the FJR's in the rally. the FJR's now running in the rally.
I know a few of the riders, these guys are awesome at route planning as much of a rally consists of getting bonus points.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just Sick! I don't think the FZ6 would be a good bike to do this one.

But maybe one day, this forum can pony up some money and sponsor one of us to do it.

sgtjp068

Go ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I attempted the 1000 miles in 24 hrs challenge on a CBR929RR and my knees called it quits after 600 miles. I plan to accomplish the challenge on my FZ in early Sept. My 1000 miles will include the Deals Gap run on the DRAGON. Love that road.:rockon:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh ya, time to stock up on the popcorn and get the daily reports by Tom Austin starting Monday.
I read there is a Suzuki rotary bike in the rally-good luck!
Check out all the FJR's in the rally. the FJR's now running in the rally.
I know a few of the riders, these guys are awesome at route planning as much of a rally consists of getting bonus points.

FJR's now rule the roost. For a long time it was mainly Honda ST's. The FJR weights almost 90 pounds less than the ST and has more punch in the engine making it a mile eater. But then again, the guy at the last IB race placed second was riding a Harley Davidson.

The thing that scares me about the monster IB race is having to ride late into the night on little sleep over multiple days. For me, it's like drinking and driving. The difference between a 1,000 or 2,000 mile long-distance ride and the 11,000 miles in 11 days is massive....sorta like the difference between running a 26.2 mile marathon and the Leadville 100 mile running race over the Colorado Rockies at 10,000 feet.

Still, it's fun to watch.

Fred

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I attempted the 1000 miles in 24 hrs challenge on a CBR929RR and my knees called it quits after 600 miles. I plan to accomplish the challenge on my FZ in early Sept. My 1000 miles will include the Deals Gap run on the DRAGON. Love that road.:rockon:

The SS1000 (1000 in <24h) is very doable on an FZ6. I've done a couple, and a BB1500 (1500 in under 36h) on mine. My first one was done on a near-stock FZ6 with only a super-mini tank bag. My feet/legs fell asleep, but other than that it was fine. The best thing I've added so far is crash bars + footpegs so I can move my feet around.

I'm hoping to buy a better seat this winter and I'm considering an aux. fuel tank to increase my range. I'd really like to tackle a BBG (1500 miles in under 24h). It's generally considered one of the toughest rides because you have no time for anything but gas stops.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just Sick! I don't think the FZ6 would be a good bike to do this one.

But maybe one day, this forum can pony up some money and sponsor one of us to do it.

I agree that the FZ6 is a far cry from some of the big touring bikes out there. Still, it's capable....a lot more capable than the displacement/price would suggest. I love going to sport-touring events (went to one yesterday) and parking among the FJRs, BMW RTs/GSs and the like. The FZ6 generally gets ignored, except by guys riding Ninjas/Bandits/Sprints.

If you haven't read Against the Wind by Ron Ayers, it's a great read. It's his story of the 1997 Iron Butt Rally. Really gives you a sense of what it's like to climb on a bike after a week of 1000-mile days.

For a story of a REALLY extreme ride, check out this one! This guy did SEVEN consecutive BBGs (that's seven back-to-back 1500 mile days - completing each in under 24h!) That one's not gonna be broken anytime soon. BBG Hell Week - Mission Complete! - FJR Forum

Or how 'bout this guy, who just set a new record for a run from Deadhorse Alaska to Florida in under 87h! Prudhoe to Key West Record Run - BMW MOA

Last edited:

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Iron Butt riders are truely in a class of their own. One of our lady MSF instructors has ridden in several IBRs. I admire their ability to push themselves, but I have no desire to try it myself.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
A buddy of mine is riding in this. He rode from Minnesota to be a part of it. He owns an '07 FZ6 and a 2000 Venture but he's riding his FJR for the Iron Butt Rally. Two of his bikes, the Venture and his '04 FJR have over 100,000 miles on them. Not sure how many he has on the FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll have to do several oil changes during the rally, that will take away your sleep time. Part of the key of making good time would be eating/drinking while riding, that would be tough.

I would definatley want to get at least 300 miles out of one tank. Stopping for fuel every 200 miles is too time consuming. Yes the breaks would be welcomed, but going long distance, you would want to have the range.

It would be nice to have a sponsor, have a bike manufacturer provide you with a bike and all the cost thats acrued. Lodging, fuel, etc. Winning the IBR brings bragging rights to the bike, as well as for the rider.

Plus the IBR should have two starting points: One for the east coast and one for the west coast. Why Spartansburg SC?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus the IBR should have two starting points: One for the east coast and one for the west coast. Why Spartansburg SC?

Why not? They have to start somewhere and it is a different city every Rally. It would be to difficult to have more than one starting point due to tech inspections, odometer checks, pre rally meetings etc. Part of being a true LD rider is it's no big deal to ride across country for the start as you need to be at the start at least 2 days ahead for the above reasons so you will have time to rest up before the Rally.
These are people who can exist on only a few hours of sleep a night.I am not one of those as I learned last year when I rode the Cal 24 Rally.
My hats off to each participant as this Rally is much harder than most of us could ever imagine. Most spend up to a year in prep. for this event.