Thank God for Frame Sliders and Ful Leathers.....

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
to me it looks like a cracked frame as well.

that is why I don't like frame sliders, I think they serve as some kind of leverage to sometimes cause more harm than good.

I personally prefer these givi crashbars (or engine guards)

0.0.1.varc_tn358.jpg

0.0.1.fz6fz6fazers2_lato.jpg

two years ago I had a wreck and my bike slid for several meters, engine guard completely scrapped BUT engine covers and frame perfectly ok :D

something similar happened to my brother in law on last sunday (the other fz6 on the family) and nothing happened to the engine covers or frame

Cheers

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
to me it looks like a cracked frame as well.

that is why I don't like frame sliders, I think they serve as some kind of leverage to sometimes cause more harm than good.

I personally prefer these givi crashbars (or engine guards)

two years ago I had a wreck and my bike slid for several meters, engine guard completely scrapped BUT engine covers and frame perfectly ok :D

something similar happened to my brother in law on last sunday (the other fz6 on the family) and nothing happened to the engine covers or frame

Cheers

You have a point, however I would much rather save the plastics in a minor spill than save the frame/engine. If the crash is bad enough to damage the frame or engine, insurance can take care of it

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It takes A LOT of force to damage these frames and engines. In a drop or minor crash, frame sliders prove their worth.

As for hard hits and crashes, there's no evidence to suggest sliders do more harm than good. Sliders(most of them) are made out of a very hard but grindable plastic, and are softer than the aluminum frame, therefore theoretically they will absorb some of them impact. If you hit the frame/mount directly on the pavement, it's going to send a lot more force and do a lot more damage. Same with a metal frame slider.

Look at it this way, you know those safety tools they sell to break car windows in an emergency? it takes a lot less force with one of those than it would with a rubber mallet.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
The argument is that without the sliders it would spread the shock over the frame and not crack it if you don't use sliders. I don't know if you picked up on that point

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all of you.

At the end we cannot tell what method will provide more protection, several variables involved, the particular characteristics of the fall, good/bad luck, karma :D:D, choosing one method or another it results being a matter of personal preference and previous/known experiences.

For me any method worths every penny when it saves the bike from more damages.

As redger said, for the big stuff is what we have insurance.

And the most important thing here, thanks to our fellow wearing ATGATT he is able to tell us his story :thumbup:

Cheers.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sliders are good for low speed drops.

What brand are those sliders? And I'd definitely get that frame checked out - doesn't look good.

Got insurance?

Main thing is, you're fine, just P155ed off, that's all :(

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey All,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been mega busy and I've had the girlfriend down the last 5 days.

As for the bike. There is damdge to the frame. It has chipped off part of the frame, the area aound the bolt, a sort of webbing. This is chipped, however there are no real cracks in it. The dealer said it was fine, should I get a second opinion?

The rest of the damdge...

Twisted front fork, simple popping back, not bent at all.
Both bar ends came off (Oddly)
Completely wrecked right underseat fairing (Ordered)
Rear indicator (Ordered)
Brake Lever (Ordered)

And finally the passenger grab grail on the right side has been worn down. Now I need your opinion on this, do I sand it down, get it smooth and repaint the whole unit? Or pay £200+ for a new one.

As for me, I had a very sore knee for the last week. Still sore but I'm too manly to get it checked out ;)

Finally...

Totally gutted for you Man :(

Coming off is never fun but at least you had the sense to get crash bungs!! They will have saved you a fortune in repairs/damage.

p.s. Did you used to have a YZF R125??

Yes I did, that was my first bike. I remeber you from the old forum

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought it was you mate. I passed my Mod2 on Friday so I've got my Fazer on the road for the next few weeks before winter really sets in.

Glad your frame isn't ruined!!