Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At the moment I'm looking for a new textile jacket which i can use all year around. My present jacket is a Revit Dragon, I've had this jacket for about 5 years, it was a good jacket but recently I've had the inner (Hydratex) jacket leak near the elbows, also the velcro sleeve fasteners have been coming loose (worn out). I have to say I ride a lot, almost daily during the week (it's my commuter).
There are so many different types of jackets out there and all with different waterproofing methods and features, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for:
1) types of waterproofing that work well (both for waterproofing as for breathability).
2) features on jackets that you would/would not recommend.
3) Safety features.

My present jacket (revit Dragon) has a waterproof membrane made of Hydratex (revit's own breathable/waterproof material). It is a touring style with 6 ventilation zips (2 back, 2 front and 1 on each arm). Standard elbow and shoulder padding.

Things I like about it:
Rear pouch for membrane/waterproofs
Great ventilation in the summer (especially with the membrane removed).
Arm width adjusters
all season, with (WP) membrane & winterliner
Good collar, soft material and closes with an adjustable press-stud.
The cuffs are wide enough for my winter gloves to fit under.

Things I don't like about it:
Only the inside pocket is waterproof, so I have to carry my phone and wallet in a seperate ziplok bag.
When it really gets wet the outer material gets soaked, and can take quite a while to dry. (last week the outer was still wet the following morning despite being hung up to dry).
A wet outer makes it colder in the winter.

What type of textile jacket do you use and why, also what features do you like the most?

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dainese goretex jacket, the goretex is bonded to the outside cordura layer, so it doesn't soak up too much water, plus all the pockets are waterproof, goretex also has a lifetime guarantee. I've sure revit do something similar.

Expensive, but worth it to be warm and dry, and if you use it all the time then it's not really that much.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running the alpinestars Valparaiso suit, it is similar with the removable waterproof and thermal liners. It is one front waterproof pocket and the rest are water resistant.
It's fantastic for the warmth but they use something in the thermal layer which makes it thinner than normal liners so the movement is almost like a summer jacket.

Gortex is great but it's a massive premium, +£300 on the alpinstars for that i think but probably the only way to get 100% waterproof external, this set does give 100% WP but again can hold water in the outer layers but does dry quick.
Previously I had the Akito Desert suit of a similar design but it was leaky around the seams and weighed a ton when wet, no real WP pockets either.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dainese goretex jacket, the goretex is bonded to the outside cordura layer, so it doesn't soak up too much water, plus all the pockets are waterproof, goretex also has a lifetime guarantee. I've sure revit do something similar.

Expensive, but worth it to be warm and dry, and if you use it all the time then it's not really that much.

I must admit I keep looking at the laminated Goretex jackets, but I do find them really pricey :eek: maybe if I find a place with a 20% discount I might go for it. I have a cyclone (over) rain jacket

revit-cyclone-2-h2o.jpg

which I'm using when it's a really wet day (like today), so I don't have to buy straight away and can wait until the winter sales.

I'm running the alpinestars Valparaiso suit, it is similar with the removable waterproof and thermal liners. It is one front waterproof pocket and the rest are water resistant.
It's fantastic for the warmth but they use something in the thermal layer which makes it thinner than normal liners so the movement is almost like a summer jacket.

Gortex is great but it's a massive premium, +£300 on the alpinstars for that i think but probably the only way to get 100% waterproof external, this set does give 100% WP but again can hold water in the outer layers but does dry quick.
Previously I had the Akito Desert suit of a similar design but it was leaky around the seams and weighed a ton when wet, no real WP pockets either.

I've been looking at similar suits, these seem more in my price range, each make has it's own features thanks for letting me know about the thin winter liner, it's worth looking into.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i was able to negotiate a bit of a discount (~15%) in the Dainese store and got them to throw in a back protector in for free. Might be worth a shot, especially with end of season stuff.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm wearing this in winter:
Alpinestars New Land GORE-TEX® Jacket - GORE-TEX® products

had an RST jacket which was ok but the velcro was wearing out after about 4 seasons.
the Astars is nice arm not too bulky good vents. I run a leather jkt for spring/autumn and an a stars mesh for anything over 25C.and never use its liner unless I get caught out in the rain, but not too often.
for me it was about buying quality fittings as well as the jacket itself lize zips etc. I also like that its teflon coated for roadgrime deflection too

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i was able to negotiate a bit of a discount (~15%) in the Dainese store and got them to throw in a back protector in for free. Might be worth a shot, especially with end of season stuff.
This is what I was hoping Greg, to hold off for the end of season stuff, but I want to have a good idea of what's out there and to have made my "wish list" before then.

I'm wearing this in winter:
Alpinestars New Land GORE-TEX® Jacket - GORE-TEX® products

had an RST jacket which was ok but the velcro was wearing out after about 4 seasons.
the Astars is nice arm not too bulky good vents. I run a leather jkt for spring/autumn and an a stars mesh for anything over 25C.and never use its liner unless I get caught out in the rain, but not too often.
for me it was about buying quality fittings as well as the jacket itself lize zips etc. I also like that its teflon coated for roadgrime deflection too

135672f.jpg

Looks like a nice jacket Adee, I like the idea of the teflon coating, but doesn't this effect the breathability of the jacket?:

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a nice jacket Adee, I like the idea of the teflon coating, but doesn't this effect the breathability of the jacket?:

Yeah martin I was worried about that too when I bought it but as I was commuting mainly I thought it would be a plus. I have to admit that it has not been a problem so far but in warmer weather its still a bit on the warm side, the venting is always open, and having said that, even in winter with vents open there has been no leaks into the jkt. Maybe come next winter I'll try it fully zipped and see how well it relly breathes.
The other thing is that the web site doesnt mention the teflon, but the link below from Revzilla does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8910sQbLIWg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I had the afternoon off yesterday so I went looking for jackets at 3 large bikeshops. Well I discovered that I could probably make my inner jacket waterproof again using this stuff:
revit-waterproof-textile-spray.jpg
waterproofing spray for breathable materials, which is probably what they use for the "teflon coating" as mentioned earlier.
I likes the REVIT sand 2 HV:
revit_sand2_hi_viz_jacket_black_neon_yellow_detail.jpg
But there were several other good jackets. I guess revit fits my body shape well (I also tried similar Difi, alpinestars and ixs jackets but they didn't fit me as well).
Of course my eyes were drawn to the goretex suits (among others from Dane) but they are pretty pricy, one of the shops were having a clear out this weekend, everything 15% off, but thatś everything in the shop and several of the items I liked weren't in stock in my size. I also know that one of the other shops do a special offer at christmas by sending everyone in their customer list a sheet of stickers, which also has a sticker for 20% off, which may come in useful.
Well Iḿ still looking around.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dream of Gortex.......
When I returned back to bikes after a long layoff the gear had changed so much. i couldn't believe that gear was actually waterproof.
It has to be said though that you do get what you pay for so its worth investing in something decent. A cheap 200 quid jacket will last you two wet seasons before leaking.
My last jacket was a super budget one from Australia. warm and waterproof still after one year.

Nelly

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
I dream of Gortex.......
A cheap 200 quid jacket will last you two wet seasons before leaking.

Amen on both fronts. I bought an RST Paragon3 pro jacket (£190) when I started riding 2 years ago. It's been great but the inner front zip gave up 2 months ago, the outer zip was just starting to get tired. That's with 15k miles of ALL weather, in which it stayed 95% dry inside. Sent it back to have the zips replaced, which I was told was covered by a 3 year warranty I'd never noticed. Long story short, they didn't have the right zips, so they gave me a spanking new Paragon4, WITH a fresh 3 year warranty :) So, maybe not the best jacket in the whole world, but fabulous back up from RST.

When it comes to replacement I'd like gore-tex though, not particularly for the gore-tex itself, but because high-end gear tends to be more thoroughly designed/ better executed - I have never regretted my more expensive purchases.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found my £130 Spada jacket to be spot on. It gets treated two or three times a year with Nikwax, same as my £150 Rikka trousers (actually bought for £49 in an eBay clearance sale).

I don't know what else to say other than it works.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had some great Spada trousers now you come to mention it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A big thanks to everybody for all your comments :Thumbup:
I've not seen any spada gear in the shops over here.
I keep doubting if the Goretex really breathes as much as they say, because a goretex laminate jacket with lots of ventilation is really pricy, all of the ventilation zips have to be waterproof, generally I have more problems keeping my body cool in the summer than keeping warm in the winter. I,m liking the idea of the revit Neptune goretex jacket, it's got a goretex membrane, but the outer jacket has a teflon coating, to stop it soaking. Of course it will have to be sales if I do buy it :)
revit-neptune-gtx.jpg

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I bought myself a revit neptune jacket with Goretex membrane (the same as the earlier pic) a couple of days ago, got 20% off in the christmas sales, I also bought a seesoft back protector insert (CE-2 level) with 15% off. I'm very happy with it uptil now but I'll post a review after riding in the rain and sun. The first noticeble difference is that it's made with heavier fabric (D600) than my previous jacket, but it fits well. I was also looking at goretex trousers but the revit ones were more tailored which makes it difficult to just pull it over my work trousers (as I do now), so I'm still searching for a suitable pair.

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice, and great deals too.

There's a new shop opened up in the next village now, went through with the wife. She spotted a gortex jacket and said it'd be good for me. Without even looking I told her to check the price, she was shocked at £750! Lol Apparently Santa thinks I haven't quite been that good this year, lol.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Amen on both fronts. I bought an RST Paragon3 pro jacket (£190) when I started riding 2 years ago. It's been great but the inner front zip gave up 2 months ago, the outer zip was just starting to get tired. That's with 15k miles of ALL weather, in which it stayed 95% dry inside. Sent it back to have the zips replaced, which I was told was covered by a 3 year warranty I'd never noticed. Long story short, they didn't have the right zips, so they gave me a spanking new Paragon4, WITH a fresh 3 year warranty :) So, maybe not the best jacket in the whole world, but fabulous back up from RST.

When it comes to replacement I'd like gore-tex though, not particularly for the gore-tex itself, but because high-end gear tends to be more thoroughly designed/ better executed - I have never regretted my more expensive purchases.

I got my dainese jacket replaced just shy of its 2yr warranty as the front pocket zips were a bit broken (though they still kept stuff dry). Got a like for like replacement with another 2yr warranty :)

Shows that it pays to ask if you get any problems down the line, and don't lose your receipts!

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the same Spada boots. It's great when manufacturers don't factor in high mileages for their warranties, lol.