Texas

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok heard on the radio today,That Texas is the only state in America that has
and wait for it.....Only Every venonous snake in America in that stateTell me this is not true!!!If its correct (Blo*** H***)then there's no way im ever going there with all those snus.

Anyone here ever been biten by one?? (I hate snakes with a passion as you can tell):eek:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
it's not like they are all over the place or something I go down to Texas a least once a year. when I'm there I'm out on a friends ranch in the bush an I have never seen a snake. Don't worry about it

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Seem to remember watching a tele program ages ago about a place called sweetlake or sweetwater something like that in Texas were they round up rattlers and dance with them round their necks and then skin them (idiots) quite sad for the snakes. Put me off air boat ride in the everglades knowing there were rattlers etc...

gay.gif

Last edited:

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
I have personally seen after 32 years in Texas:
Diamondback rattler
Cottonmouth
Copperhead
Pygmy rattler
Coral snake
But, this was always in the sticks somewhere. Never seen a snake in the major cities (DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston). I did, however hear of a friend with a rattler in his backyard in El Paso.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised there are coral snakes in Texas. :confused:

Sniff, at least they don't grow this big, even in Texas:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04zpyn-6LpM]YouTube - ‪snake surprise‬‎[/ame]

:BLAA: :BLAA: :BLAA:

Skeebo

Reaction score
Visit site
I've lived in Texas all my life and have come across wild snakes all of 4 times, none of which were venomous.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a sook!

Try living in Australia - we've got the most dangerous spiders and snakes. We even have a bird that can disembowel you with it's claw on its foot ......

We don't freak out everytime we go out - we're only scared of the drop bears :eek:

BTW, you have English football hooligans - that'll scare me away from England LOL

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a sook!

Try living in Australia - we've got the most dangerous spiders and snakes. We even have a bird that can disembowel you with it's claw on its foot ......

We don't freak out everytime we go out - we're only scared of the drop bears :eek:

BTW, you have English football hooligans - that'll scare me away from England LOL

Yep, English Footy Hooligans...far more scary than any spider or snake!

:eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a sook!

And they teach kangaroos to box and feed their kids and friends Vegemite! :BLAA:

Here's an interesting link to some of the snakes we have in Califoria.

California Snakes Photo Index

My friends and I saved a 5 foot diamond back rattler from being dispatched by a company employee. I asked my boss for it's life and he asked what I was going to do with it. I answered, "put it back in the canyon" We had quite a fun time. There's nothing like having 15 buttons on a tale rattling in your hand.
Interestingly, and I had never heard of this, but when we pinned the diamondback down, it's color changed as black as the parking lot. It was hot that day and I was sweaty. When I pinned it down with a stick it could still turn it's head and shot venom from it's fangs. The venom got on the loop I had fashioned and when the loop rubbed on my sweaty forearms the open pores received the venom. My skin began to tingle after I released the rattler into the canyon. I realized what it was and washed it with lots of dish soap and water.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a sook!

Ahh, a cassowary?

Cassowary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought you Aussies wrestled with those in your back yards as kids! ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA58sS3x2Oo]YouTube - ‪Killer Cassowary Bird Attacks‬‎[/ame]

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a sook!

I know everything you are saying is true.It all stemmed from when i was 6 or 7 playing football with my sisters,One of them trod on a grass snake (harmless) and it bit her i saw it slither off.After that well i had a dislike of snakes.I can see them in zoo's and I've held a python.

yes we used to watch steve erwin pick up common brown snake (nasty buggers) Not keen on big spiders either...Always thought it would be a croc that got him,not a sting ray...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_duXnJfHfs"]YouTube- ‪Snake attack @ Melbourne school by CubbyHouseFilms SD‬‎[/ame]

ummm sound familiar

Those cassowary remind me of dromaeosaurid better known as Velociraptor.
800px-Deinonychus_im_NHM_Wien.JPG

Even the feet are similar except the sickle claw of the Raptors of course..lol

Last edited:

hardheaded

Reaction score
Visit site
i don't know if we have them all, but i have had to deal with several. they all love to get into the telephone and electrical boxes that are along the roads , i have taken copperheads, corals, water moccasins (cottonmouths) and rattlers out of these boxes without incident. allthough my old girlfriend was bitten on the foot by a copperhead in a public park in '92 after a week in the hospital and swelling like a tree trunk all turned out ok

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only venonous snake I've seen here over the last 16 years is my ex's divorce attorney...

If you like snakes google "rattlesnake round up", it's in Sweetwater.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've killed several rattlesnakes at my place in the hill country. Only one was actually ready to strike, but I'm not taking any chances by leaving one alive. The chill ones got a .22 round in the head, and the coiled one got ripped apart by a .357 magnum.

falconcon

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Houston we have some copperheads that live back behind the house. Haven't bothered us but one picked a fight with our dog - dog survived, but now has a better sense than to go sniffing round them!

sniff6 - nice FZ600 - what part of England to you live in? I used to live outside London in the 90s in Sunbury.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's something interesting....Have to be careful with some of these creatures because they obviously don't utilize oxygen the way we do and can stay active even when they have lost the heart and lungs.:eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQPZaFH3QY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪SNAKE ATTACK without body! Slow Motion!‬‎[/ame]