Test / Demo rides with dealers?

Billsbet0

Reaction score
Visit site
New rider here, wanted to say thanks! to the group. I have been enjoying the forum, lots of great information.

Wonder if this is a new thing or what others have experienced. I do live in So Cal, probably has something to do with it.

About 5 years ago I took the MSF classes and looked at some bikes but did not take it any further. I remember a Triumph dealership offered a test ride if I had my motorcycle license.

Couple of months ago I retook the classes and started looking for bikes again. I passed the license test and waiting to have the actual license in hand before talking to dealers. I stopped by several dealers in my area but none would allow test rides. I had moved since the first time I looked and am not near the triumph dealership any longer. Wonder if they would have allowed a ride still.

My question is, is this common now? kind of hard to decide on a bike if all you can do is sit on it. When you are new, how are you supposed to decide what kind of bike really suites you? Seems kind of funny to be forced to buy before you can decide.

I have heard that most motorcycle accidents happen within 6 miles of the place they are purchased as they are being taken home. Maybe that has something to do with it.

When I did buy a bike, a 2011 FZ6R, they made a point of calling me the next day to "check in."

See you on the road!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Most dealers can't afford to have demo bikes and nobody wants to buy a new bike that has had a dozen yahoos drive it already. Also insurance to cover test drivers is expensive and if someone gets hurt on a test ride you know the first to get sued is the dealer.

Many dealers do have special events where they have short term (weekend) insurance and factory demo bikes.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
European dealers will. Aprilia, Motor Guzzi, Ducati, etc.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
My local dealer doesn't allow test rides unless you have 2+ years experience on a similar bike.

I agree that's it's frustrating to not be able to test ride before you buy. Most individual sellers will allow you to test ride if you have "cash in hand" so the bike is considered purchased if it goes down.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I have heard that most motorcycle accidents happen within 6 miles of the place they are purchased as they are being taken home. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I have a buddy who used to be a sales guy at one of the local shops. He said they used to take bets as to how far the buyer would get before crashing it. Most often it was different distances in the parking lot.

The worst story he had involved a 19 year old kid. Mom and Dad who were doctors bought him a brand new R6 with all the aftermarket exhaust, PCV, LED lights and all. The mom asked my friend to follow him home to make sure he got ok. I guess the first left turn light after leaving the parking lot the guy starts making the left and spots a bike cop on the side of the road and notices the kid isn't behind him, looks over his shoulder to see the kid pin the throttle, swing wide and ride right into the bike cop. The kid impales his knee on a fire hydrant punching a hole in his knee cap. The bike cop can't stand because he's got a broken ankle and foot is just hanging there. Kid didn't even make it a mile but was more or less ok.

Second best story was a black guy who had his Ruff Ryders (MC) cuts on. His ol lady was in their SUV and he had just bought a GSXR1000. I guess he said he turned around and then he hears crash noises. The bike was parked in the back window/tail gate of the SUV. Evidently the wife didn't pull forward fast enough or something and the guy dumped the clutch pulling a wheelie up her back side. The guy got tossed up into the air and was temporarily hanging from a tree before falling and having a compound fracture of his femur that required a life flight to get him out of there.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
that is pretty cool for Yamaha to offer an event like this. Too bad I missed the only event in CA.

Keep your eyes on your local dealer's website. The dealers here (Houston, TX area) usually have 1 or 2 dealer days per year. Also look at other sites. I have been to dealer days for Kawasaki, BMW, Yamaha, Ducati and Can Am. The only major brand that I have never seen have a demo day is Honda.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The local HD dealer and BMW/Ducuti dealer will let you test ride. They have "test ride specific bikes" for that purpose...

The local Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki dealership-sometimes...

Many years ago (2004) we were dropping off my friends Suzuki for warranty work. I was looking at a Glodwing, just killing time. The salesman saw me, we spoke some, he insisted I take the bike for a ride (now this is an $18,000 motorcycle). Ended up later buying a wing...

Last edited:

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
The local HD dealer and BMW/Ducuti dealer will let you test ride. They have "test ride specific bikes" for that purpose...

The local Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki dealership-sometimes...

^^This^^

Very dependent on the dealer and very dependent on what particular bike you're looking for. They may have certain models available but not everything.

From my experience FJR-hunting last year, if you're looking to buy "pre-owned" from a dealer the trials and tribulations you endure for a test ride can be extensive and complicated. It wasn't worth it to me.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the "first bike" question, I was also not allowed to test ride anything without proof of insurance on my "current" bike (obviously I didn't own one). This eliminates all newbies from test riding. Like the OP, all I could do was sit on the bikes.
There are dealer days when the big semi comes with various models to ride, and a few places in my area have demo bikes. Any used bike can be tested, IF you have insurance. My cousin had to ride a used FZ6 for me when I was shopping for bikes, and give me his opinion. I'm glad I went with the FZ6, and feel lucky that I chose such a good bike, without the ability to try them out on the road.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the "first bike" question, I was also not allowed to test ride anything without proof of insurance on my "current" bike (obviously I didn't own one). This eliminates all newbies from test riding. Like the OP, all I could do was sit on the bikes.
There are dealer days when the big semi comes with various models to ride, and a few places in my area have demo bikes. Any used bike can be tested, IF you have insurance. My cousin had to ride a used FZ6 for me when I was shopping for bikes, and give me his opinion. I'm glad I went with the FZ6, and feel lucky that I chose such a good bike, without the ability to try them out on the road.

I should have mentioned earlier, I don't have motorcycle insurance (its not required in Florida-I do have health ins) so all my test rides, on the Goldwing(it was BRAND NEW), the $22,000 custom HD(also BRAND NEW), were without myself having insurance...

I never tested a BM'er/Ducuti so I don't know if private bike insurance is required...

Last edited: