Tell me about scottoilers

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone mounted a vSystem scottoiler or competitor to the FZ6? Are you happy with it? How was the install process and where did you put the reservoir?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got one. I didn't install it myself, but looking at it now I certainly could have done.

My reservoir is on the right side subframe, with the vacuum supply running from the gauge point on cylinder four, the delivery line running down behind the engine block on to the left side of the swingarm.

It works well. For an all year commuter it's a good investment, providing constant chain lube, which is great for when you're dragging your self in from a 12 hour shift and don't fancy messing about with lube cans.

The down sides are, obviously, mess. Number plate, left indicator, left boot, left side of the exhaust cover, left side of the swingarm.... All covered in it.

When it rains, the chain washes dry quite quickly, so you have to turn it right up. Which means more mess.

If it runs dry (doh!) it's a nightmare to re-prime it. I get covered in the stuff trying to force the oil back through the system.

The nibs get clogged in winter. Road goo, salt, etc, just seem to build up in/on them. A simple rod through with a thin gauge wire sorts it, but it's annoying.

Generally I'd recommend them, but if the bike is just a toy, they're probably not worth the effort and expense.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ or just remember to lube the chain every Friday evening and or 400-500 miles, so simple.
At first it'll be a PIA, but later on, its a piece of cake..!

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Honda chain lube with moly. On the center stand, in 1st gear 20sec, done. No mess no fling off, no bother. I went through a period using the Scott, a royal pain to get the flow right, floods the chain and rear wheel, or it's dry as a bone. Weather makes a difference too. Modern O ring chains are easy.