TechSpec Tank Grips

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd stay aware from regular grip tape... with jeans you'll have scuffed up thighs and maybe wear a hole in your jeans. in leathers no sense in ruining a good pair of leathers, the regular grip tape is just to abrasive. would be a shame to have to spend more money on leathers/jeans (easily $200/$50 respectively)every year, instead of spending the inital $40 bucks on TechSpecs vs the $10 for skateboard grip tape.

on a side note: i opted to stay away from StompGrips for the same reason as teh grip tape. Although nowhere near as abrasive thsoe little volcanoes would mess up jeans and since I ride mostly on teh street and commute I like my regular pants. Also the StompGrips have a new softer compound from what I hear, but I've also heard stories of leather dye rubbing off on Stompgrips. Not to mention again they dont have a pre-cut for the FZ6, so a generic sheet would look crappy cut for the tank (unless you're really talented and managed to do something with the pattern.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I figured I'd update here since there was activity.

The Tech Specs are holding up OK. No peeling or anything, but I feel like one side is not as sticky as the other. I emailed Tech Spec, and they said they could send me out a new generic half sheet to replace this part... all I would have to do is pay shipping and send back the other piece. They think it's coefficient of friction is lacking because it may have been from a different or bad batch. I haven't bothered to send it back because I'm lazy... but the offer is on the table. Good Customer service considering I bought the tank grips from an individual and not one of their retailers.

Also one more negative is that these do wear slightly into my leathers. It was not as bad as someone else who had Stomp Grips, however that person has been riding much longer and harder. (read: local twisties and track days) I'm contemplating switching over to Stomp Grips, but most likely will stay with the Tech Specs and get a replacement side.

I'm still satisfied with these over nothing at all on the tank, but if someone made a compound softer and stickier I would be all over that.

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I figured I'd update here since there was activity.

The Tech Specs are holding up OK. No peeling or anything, but I feel like one side is not as sticky as the other. I emailed Tech Spec, and they said they could send me out a new generic half sheet to replace this part... all I would have to do is pay shipping and send back the other piece. They think it's coefficient of friction is lacking because it may have been from a different or bad batch. I haven't bothered to send it back because I'm lazy... but the offer is on the table. Good Customer service considering I bought the tank grips from an individual and not one of their retailers.

Also one more negative is that these do wear slightly into my leathers. It was not as bad as someone else who had Stomp Grips, however that person has been riding much longer and harder. (read: local twisties and track days) I'm contemplating switching over to Stomp Grips, but most likely will stay with the Tech Specs and get a replacement side.

I'm still satisfied with these over nothing at all on the tank, but if someone made a compound softer and stickier I would be all over that.

The Stomp Grips are great. They do not wear into your pants.... They have since refined the design of the dimples from when they first came out. The dimples are now shaped like volcanoes instead of spikes. This design now offers grip without digging into your pants.

Only thing is, it is kinda tough to cut into a shape to conform to the FZ6's tank profile due to the symmetry of the dimples. I got a R1 set as a compromise for a neater fit without any trimming or cutting.