Tech'ies, check this out Yamaha R&D, R1, FZ-09 & Chev LS3 Share something

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scroll through this and take a peak at the R1, FZ-09 features compared to LS3 Chev engine. Notice all share "Fracture split connecting rods"...

PS - despite the foolish URL labels - "403" - links work.

attachment.php

Old school was to pin it with a locater dowel. How its done --- 403 Forbidden

Some Chevrolet design info, however this is 5 years old but Yamaha has been doing it since 2003!
*- Camaro LS3

More Tech'ee stuff... OPEN THIS and see if anything entertains you! Several writings from Yamaha from the R&D staff! Technical Review - Company information | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

Covers: fuel injection, port injection, unburned fuel, human and vibrations, fracture splitting rods, motorcycle fuel cells, engine oil, and other stuff.

One of the documents on Fuel Injection... http://global.yamaha-motor.com/about/craftsmanship/technical_review/publish/no48/pdf/gr_04.pdf

Another on tire contact patch during a crash... http://global.yamaha-motor.com/about/craftsmanship/technical_review/publish/no35/pdf/0012.pdf

[MENTION=16666]Marthy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

The last small block Chevy (original designed V8) and a 396 (I had apart) had the connecting rods with the bolts thru the rod ends. The end cap then went on, then (I re-call with a washer) and nut torqued down.

Never been in a newer engine..

No bolt/thread stretch measurements, single tabbed bearings as I re-call, as well.. Of course back then 5,500 was about red line in most V8's..

Technology has certainly come along way...

Finally chevy semi designs a new motor. Wonder if they will ever change from a 5.3 in their trucks

They do however need to fix the current gen camaro taillights. They are horrid

Last edited:
Finally chevy semi designs a new motor. Wonder if they will ever change from a 5.3 in their trucks

They do however need to fix the current gen camaro taillights. They are horrid

I like the vent holes in the block for cross winds and less turbulence around the windage tray - less oil out the PCV.

You see the latest beast? 6.2 liter Z06, 625 hp w/boost! :rockon::rockon:
Mini SC shoved in the V. The darn thing is so tiny only the drive belt gives it away! Look to the left of the TB! :thumbup:

lt4-engine-complete.jpg

Somewhere are some pictures of the actual SC, I can't find them at this moment.

That is a cute little supercharger lol. Easy to miss

Spark plug boot covers are always the first to go lol!

I like the vent holes in the block for cross winds and less turbulence around the windage tray - less oil out the PCV.

You see the latest beast? 6.2 liter Z06, 625 hp w/boost! :rockon::rockon:
Mini SC shoved in the V. The darn thing is so tiny only the drive belt gives it away! Look to the left of the TB! :thumbup:

lt4-engine-complete.jpg

Somewhere are some pictures of the actual SC, I can't find them at this moment.

I'm surprised they got rid of the individual coil over spark plug set up.. Guess it didn't fit well with the design...

^^ Has a Pushrod engine ever had COPs? Plus they'd melty on those cast iron headers!!!
On that note, kinda funny going back to cast exhaust components. I'm guessing that gives a nice deep throat w/out the tin sound of SS tube headers. :thumbup:

^^ Has a Pushrod engine ever had COPs? Plus they'd melty on those cast iron headers!!!
On that note, kinda funny going back to cast exhaust components. I'm guessing that gives a nice deep throat w/out the tin sound of SS tube headers. :thumbup:

The "COP" wasn't on the orignal push rod, single cam engine. Approx 1975 they started with the large electronic distributor with the built in coil (with full lenth wires)

I would have sworn I saw it on a newer (last decade Corvette). It had a retainer bolt (like a fuel rail) to secure it and a crank sensor telling the ECU when to fire each cylinder.

I could be wrong, I haven't kept up with the newer Chevy engines much to speak of..

Ended up working on newer Vette in the parking lot last friday. Guess what happened? A spark plug wire came off! lol 8 mini coils with short plug wires. Kind of like the FZ coils. Not oil filled or anything but a naked coil per cylinder.

Anyway - take a look at this nightmare!!!

Audi rethinks the piston engine | Fox News

Back