Tech'ies, check this out Yamaha R&D, R1, FZ-09 & Chev LS3 Share something

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scroll through this and take a peak at the R1, FZ-09 features compared to LS3 Chev engine. Notice all share "Fracture split connecting rods"...

PS - despite the foolish URL labels - "403" - links work.

attachment.php

Old school was to pin it with a locater dowel. How its done --- 403 Forbidden

Some Chevrolet design info, however this is 5 years old but Yamaha has been doing it since 2003!
*- Camaro LS3

More Tech'ee stuff... OPEN THIS and see if anything entertains you! Several writings from Yamaha from the R&D staff! Technical Review - Company information | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

Covers: fuel injection, port injection, unburned fuel, human and vibrations, fracture splitting rods, motorcycle fuel cells, engine oil, and other stuff.

One of the documents on Fuel Injection... http://global.yamaha-motor.com/about/craftsmanship/technical_review/publish/no48/pdf/gr_04.pdf

Another on tire contact patch during a crash... http://global.yamaha-motor.com/about/craftsmanship/technical_review/publish/no35/pdf/0012.pdf

[MENTION=16666]Marthy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] [MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The last small block Chevy (original designed V8) and a 396 (I had apart) had the connecting rods with the bolts thru the rod ends. The end cap then went on, then (I re-call with a washer) and nut torqued down.

Never been in a newer engine..

No bolt/thread stretch measurements, single tabbed bearings as I re-call, as well.. Of course back then 5,500 was about red line in most V8's..

Technology has certainly come along way...

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally chevy semi designs a new motor. Wonder if they will ever change from a 5.3 in their trucks

They do however need to fix the current gen camaro taillights. They are horrid

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally chevy semi designs a new motor. Wonder if they will ever change from a 5.3 in their trucks

They do however need to fix the current gen camaro taillights. They are horrid

I like the vent holes in the block for cross winds and less turbulence around the windage tray - less oil out the PCV.

You see the latest beast? 6.2 liter Z06, 625 hp w/boost! :rockon::rockon:
Mini SC shoved in the V. The darn thing is so tiny only the drive belt gives it away! Look to the left of the TB! :thumbup:

lt4-engine-complete.jpg

Somewhere are some pictures of the actual SC, I can't find them at this moment.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a cute little supercharger lol. Easy to miss

Spark plug boot covers are always the first to go lol!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the vent holes in the block for cross winds and less turbulence around the windage tray - less oil out the PCV.

You see the latest beast? 6.2 liter Z06, 625 hp w/boost! :rockon::rockon:
Mini SC shoved in the V. The darn thing is so tiny only the drive belt gives it away! Look to the left of the TB! :thumbup:

lt4-engine-complete.jpg

Somewhere are some pictures of the actual SC, I can't find them at this moment.

I'm surprised they got rid of the individual coil over spark plug set up.. Guess it didn't fit well with the design...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Has a Pushrod engine ever had COPs? Plus they'd melty on those cast iron headers!!!
On that note, kinda funny going back to cast exhaust components. I'm guessing that gives a nice deep throat w/out the tin sound of SS tube headers. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Has a Pushrod engine ever had COPs? Plus they'd melty on those cast iron headers!!!
On that note, kinda funny going back to cast exhaust components. I'm guessing that gives a nice deep throat w/out the tin sound of SS tube headers. :thumbup:

The "COP" wasn't on the orignal push rod, single cam engine. Approx 1975 they started with the large electronic distributor with the built in coil (with full lenth wires)

I would have sworn I saw it on a newer (last decade Corvette). It had a retainer bolt (like a fuel rail) to secure it and a crank sensor telling the ECU when to fire each cylinder.

I could be wrong, I haven't kept up with the newer Chevy engines much to speak of..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ended up working on newer Vette in the parking lot last friday. Guess what happened? A spark plug wire came off! lol 8 mini coils with short plug wires. Kind of like the FZ coils. Not oil filled or anything but a naked coil per cylinder.

Anyway - take a look at this nightmare!!!

Audi rethinks the piston engine | Fox News

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site