tcmalker's dual headlight mod

Who's dual headlights mod do you like best?

• bd43

Votes: 94 74.0%
  • Gand

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • tcmalker

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • other

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds simple MOD, but here in UK High Beam is required by law im pretty sure, similar to the OZ. Also needed in lots of dark rural roads. Shame isnt a quick mod like this that doesnt stop hi beam working.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds simple MOD, but here in UK High Beam is required by law im pretty sure, similar to the OZ. Also needed in lots of dark rural roads. Shame isnt a quick mod like this that doesnt stop hi beam working.

Interesting that high beam is required in that part of the world. I don't think it's required in the U.S. I assume you guys have annual inspection or something? If that's the case you simple reverse the mod (20 secs) before you go for inspection. Or if you get stopped and they demand to see it, just show them. Look officer, I hit this switch and the high beam goes on. See? Have a nice day. ;)

I got late in the game on this one. First dual headlight mod was thought of in 2004 and bd43's wire harness came in 2007. I got my bike 4 months ago. So I lost many potential people who might think my mod is useful and try it because they've already performed other mods. These people who might have no use for high beam or lazy people :D. But I pose you this question: what happens if bd43 stop making his special wire? How hard would this mod be then?

My goal is to investigate a better dual mod that does not require any special wires or removal of air box, and also does not involve affecting the integrity of the wire harness. I am a true believer in KISS and I will find a way.

NearOn

Reaction score
Visit site
We have yearly MOT's, Ministry of Transport, and vehicles have to be road worthy, safe etc, and undergo numerous tests and checks. And I think but could be wrong, high beam is one of them. To be honest doubt you will get many people in UK doing your MOD,as high beam is needed due to the majority of the country outside of the citys and towns being rural and no street lights, also gets dark early for a long period of the year.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We don't have MOT's. We use our high beam when it's dark and we're out of the city, but also it's our passing light that we flash when overtaking. Not everyone uses it as a passing light, but I do when I'm riding on the highways - cagers get into a trance and don't know you're behind them. You flash to overtake them, they wake up - AMAZING :D

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The bd43 mod is time consuming but a great winter time mod. You get to spend some time quality time in the garage with your bike you learn a bit about the bike in the process. The feeling of satisfaction when you complete the job is rewarding! This years winter mod is to fit, sand and paint my bellypan. :thumbup:

If its to nasty outside to ride it..... tear it apart!! :rockon:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting that high beam is required in that part of the world. I don't think it's required in the U.S. I assume you guys have annual inspection or something? If that's the case you simple reverse the mod (20 secs) before you go for inspection. Or if you get stopped and they demand to see it, just show them. Look officer, I hit this switch and the high beam goes on. See? Have a nice day. ;)

I got late in the game on this one. First dual headlight mod was thought of in 2004 and bd43's wire harness came in 2007. I got my bike 4 months ago. So I lost many potential people who might think my mod is useful and try it because they've already performed other mods. These people who might have no use for high beam or lazy people :D. But I pose you this question: what happens if bd43 stop making his special wire? How hard would this mod be then?

My goal is to investigate a better dual mod that does not require any special wires or removal of air box, and also does not involve affecting the integrity of the wire harness. I am a true believer in KISS and I will find a way.
Tc,

I'm one if those that took advantage of BD43's mod (and his wire harness) because of the benefit it offered me. While I think form is important, I also desire function. The one headlight drove me crazy, but I also desired a high beam for those situations where a little more light down the road or off to the side is necessary.

If BD43 was not making his harness, I would have attempted (most likely with barely passable results) to create my own pin and harness based on his pretty explicit guide. Yes, definitely more involved, but I think it depends on what people want. I may have done your quickie mod in the meantime while fabricating, but I would not have opted for it as a permanent solution.

It comes down to the trade-offs of each individual rider and what kind of investment (time or money) they are willing to make to get a result. Truly, this is,
"to each his own".

One of the many things I love about this site is the plethora of options that we are all presented with. My hats off to you (and BD43) on both coming up with a tweak that helps the rest of us get what we want out of our bikes. So keep up the ingenuity.

And if there were a vote for best promotion of said MOD, you would get my vote. I think I came across a link back to your mod in like three different threads in one day :)

Scorp

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
The bd43 mod is time consuming but a great winter time mod. You get to spend some time quality time in the garage with your bike you learn a bit about the bike in the process. The feeling of satisfaction when you complete the job is rewarding! This years winter mod is to fit, sand and paint my bellypan. :thumbup:

If its to nasty outside to ride it..... tear it apart!! :rockon:

Good point about getting to your know bike. I learned a lot putting up the Leo Vince, changing my own oil, and even doing my simple mod. Just do everything carefully and slowly and put everythink back where they belong.

I may have done your quickie mod in the meantime while fabricating, but I would not have opted for it as a permanent solution.

And if there were a vote for best promotion of said MOD, you would get my vote. I think I came across a link back to your mod in like three different threads in one day :)

Scorp

tcmalker's mod = quickie mod :Flash:

Yes I know, I shamelessly promoted my mod. :D

DHoback

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for you tcmalker. bd43's mod is awesome and keeps all functions. I think it also worthwhile for anyone that wants to simply learn more about the bike. I have an extensive mechanical knowledge, so it's just work to me. But this one is nice and easy. I dont use the high beam at all, so it's a no brainer for me. Very simple solution to a very annoying problem. Good job tcmalker.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you've figured out an easy dual headlight.. why not try putting HID reflector bulbs in there? You could have the left side on all the time and fire up the right side when you need more light. Putting more light out on the road would forego the issue of not having brights. I have them and I am glad I did this.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that you've figured out an easy dual headlight.. why not try putting HID reflector bulbs in there? You could have the left side on all the time and fire up the right side when you need more light. Putting more light out on the road would forego the issue of not having brights. I have them and I am glad I did this.

Got to do a little more research....so far I see that you need to put some type of reflector otherwise the beam is going all over the place blinding random people.

I was just going to upgrade to Philips Motovision. It's supposed to give you 40% more light as well as more throw and wider beams. Also supposed to have cool orange tint.

Tell me how you did the HID bulbs thing or give me a good link. I do not want to put anything in the oven! If it's as simple as changing the bulb I'll do it! KISS.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree. Taking the fairing off and prying apart the headlight was way more work than I wanted.

Someone here on the forum, I forget who, recommemded DDM Tuning. They sell kits and they don't cost much. The cost for those OMFG expensive halogens is about the same cost as these HID kits. And DDM offers a lifetime warranty (talk to those guys for details, I am not making promises).

Each kit comes with a slim ballast, a built in ignitor, bulb and connectors.

You would order a "single" H4 kit for the right side and a "single" H7 kit for the left side. Then the only things to decide is do you want 55watt (overkill) or 35watt (very decent). You also have to decide what color bulb you want.
Hint: The higher the number, the bluer looking it will be on the Kelvin scale.
I got the 5,000K bulbs and am really happy with them. They are very close to pure white with just a tiny hint of blue. I think the 55watt ballasts wash out color a little bit.. but you should do some research ala google before you decide.

After having 35watt for awhile, I may go back and try 55watt. :rolleyes:

Hardest part of the install will be cleanly mounting the ballasts. You can use some combination of double stick tape and cable ties. I fastened a thin piece of aluminum to the upper and lower fairing screws (2006, I don't know what the inside of a 2009 fairing looks like) and I cable tied the ballasts to the aluminum piece

And people will tell you, those things scatter light.. well they do. That is why you should be very careful to aim them properly so that you do not bother oncoming cagers.

All in All, my favorite mod so far.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
After a little more research I am inclined on upgrading bulbs to Philips Xtreme Power. It has 80% more 'light' than standard halogen. Motovision has 40
% but has the cool orange tint. Forget the HIDs, I'm trying the Xtreme Power.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After a little more research I am inclined on upgrading bulbs to Philips Xtreme Power. It has 80% more 'light' than standard halogen. Motovision has 40
% but has the cool orange tint. Forget the HIDs, I'm trying the Xtreme Power.

Funny.. I was just in the process of researching those myself (along with PIAA and Sylvania). Still not sure which option will give me best bang for the buck.
I know Silverstar Ultras are fantastic (have them in my wife's car), but bulb life is very short. A year at best.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny.. I was just in the process of researching those myself (along with PIAA and Sylvania). Still not sure which option will give me best bang for the buck.
I know Silverstar Ultras are fantastic (have them in my wife's car), but bulb life is very short. A year at best.

My PIAA low beam didn't last a year, but were very nice (and expensive)... I also had the same experience with the Sylvania... I also only had a year out of the Philips in my car so I guess that's part of the cost of running those bulbs???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a PIAA Super white H4 in my single bulb headlight in my KLR 250.

It puts out 110 /100 watts as a replacement for the 60/55W bulb.

On the single bulb, it puts out ample light for the KLR. Its not cheap and does last (for me at least) approx a year and a half / 10,000 miles...

IMHO, well worth the $ without any mods.... A considerable difference between the standard bulb (which lasts longer) however your much more visable, especially during the day, with the high beam on ...

Last edited:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all your hard work on making this post. I did BD43's mod so it's too late for me. I do however ride with my high beams on most of the time so this woundn't work for me, but yours is so simple. Thank you again for all your hard work.

Doc

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all your hard work on making this post. I did BD43's mod so it's too late for me. I do however ride with my high beams on most of the time so this woundn't work for me, but yours is so simple. Thank you again for all your hard work.

Doc

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but your welcome I guess. FYI, in a few months I'm going to be conducting a poll on which mods people are actually using. I just want to see how many people actually tried my mod and like it for its simplicity.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had no intention of being sarcastic, I liked your post on a headlight mod and I know how much work it takes to do one. For a quick headlight mod yours is fast and simple. Good job.

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.