Tar Snake Crash?

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding a nice twisty road home from work yesterday, it was sunny, 85 degrees and the road was nice and hot. The road I was on had lots of tar snakes, see the pics below. I noticed during cornering that these buggers seem to be pretty slick in hot weather and I even felt the bike drift a tiny bit if I hit one on a straight away. These things made me paranoid and I had visions of dumping the bike in a corner if I hit one just right (or wrong).

Question: Has anyone ever dumped their bike after hitting a tar snake?

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Not me! I thought I was going to though:eek: So I got rid of those crapastic dunlop 252's that came on the bike and got conti road attacks and haven't noticed an issue with em since:Flash:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, the wonderful tar snake. They love using that stuff to patch cracks around here too. I swear, there are some roads that are 50% tar snakes now...lol.

I've never had an issue with them, but they do make me leery. I notice when it's hot out and they soften up, it almost sounds like you're riding over a wet spot on the road when you hit one. I try to avoid them as much as possible when on the bike.

95lwrx

Reaction score
Visit site
i just about went down last year from one of them, thankfully it was a low speed corner. these patches are all over the place where i live and when it gets hot out they are just like slime!!! they can definitely catch you off guard if you aren't careful.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Between Tar and the metal plates that are the Triboro bridge my quicker commute is dangerous especially in wetter weather...

I hate half Axxed work on a tolled road...

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't gone down because of them but I've come close. One particular incident comes to mind. There is a road I take to school almost every day, it goes from a 4 lane road to a stoplit intersection. At this point the left 2 lanes get a protected green to do a fun ~120* turn that goes up in elevation to merge with a 6 lane road above with a 65 mph limit. So of course when I get the front spot at the light I have fun on the turn.

They recently repaved it which made it even better. However they only paved it about 90% of the way down, where they joined it at an angle to the existing road with tar snakes. I was already leaned over in the turn the first time I rode the road after the repave and hit the snake. I felt the rear end slight out some and got some head shake, but it recovered and was ok, scary though!

Now I only take the inside turn lane, it doesn't have the snakes at the angle, only a single one straight across.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't gone down because of them but I've come close. One particular incident comes to mind. There is a road I take to school almost every day, it goes from a 4 lane road to a stoplit intersection. At this point the left 2 lanes get a protected green to do a fun ~120* turn that goes up in elevation to merge with a 6 lane road above with a 65 mph limit. So of course when I get the front spot at the light I have fun on the turn.

They recently repaved it which made it even better. However they only paved it about 90% of the way down, where they joined it at an angle to the existing road with tar snakes. I was already leaned over in the turn the first time I rode the road after the repave and hit the snake. I felt the rear end slight out some and got some head shake, but it recovered and was ok, scary though!

Now I only take the inside turn lane, it doesn't have the snakes at the angle, only a single one straight across.

Would that be Coors & Paseo?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Would that be Coors & Paseo?
Would that be Paseo del Norte? Damn, it's been years.... ;)

So, "tar snakes" is what they're called? I've always wanted to post a thread about them called "Drat That Flat Black Crack Crap!" :D They still scare me too, when it's hot.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At a track day, in the rain, a dude in front of me touched a tar snake and low sided. He had a nice slide into the mud.

On the road I've felt the bike drift as I've ridden over them. I don't like them...:(

BroHay

FZ1 Mod-a-holic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahhhhh.....good old coors and paseo

afpreppie04,

I know that we talked earlier this/last year but never did cross paths, but pretty sure I've seen you on the streets. Looks like another one joined the abq metro area, should all meet up sometime.