Tank removal - again....

towa

Papa Smurf
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I know there's a lot of threads about how to lift the tank. I do however need to know how to remove the complete tank. I got me a 2. bike that I'm preparing as a track bike, but it had a ugly rusty dent in the tank.

I cleaned it, and filled it, sanded it nicely, and now need to remove the tank for painting?

Any ideas how to lift the tank of? Will I have fuel all over me, or will it stay in when i remove those two black drains? I will also have to disconect wirering and the fuel line..

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dont ask me.. i have no idea how the best way to do this would be but if it were ME doing it.. i would get the tank as empty as i possibly could (riding) then try to drain out the remaining or even let it run idle until it all burned up.. then disconnect... thats just me though, i may be way off and cause damage, thats just what we do with propane tanks on our forklifts at work...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
to make it easy on yourself. remove the inner fairing. (Can be done with out doing this if your good, but i will walk you through doing it as if you have removed them.

Remove two allen bolt at the top near the stearing neck.

Lift tank up, have someone hold the tank up

Remove fuel line saftey clip, just pops off.

Press in the saftey latches while pulling the fuel line off the fuel pump. Dont worry, some fuel my leak.

Remove various vent lines

Disconnect power connector for fuel pump.

Remove 12mm bolt from rear of the tank on which it was pivoting.

Carefully lift tank off and place in safe area and cover with many blankets and such.

Do it enough times, it becomes second nature, lol.

-bryan

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
to make it easy on yourself. remove the inner fairing. (Can be done with out doing this if your good, but i will walk you through doing it as if you have removed them.

Remove two allen bolt at the top near the stearing neck.

Lift tank up, have someone hold the tank up

Remove fuel line saftey clip, just pops off.

Press in the saftey latches while pulling the fuel line off the fuel pump. Dont worry, some fuel my leak.

Remove various vent lines

Disconnect power connector for fuel pump.

Remove 12mm bolt from rear of the tank on which it was pivoting.

Carefully lift tank off and place in safe area and cover with many blankets and such.

Do it enough times, it becomes second nature, lol.

-bryan

Spot On!:thumbup: cant get any simpliar then that.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One other suggestion is to make sure that the tank is supported so that it is not resting on the fuel pump and when moving the tank around your bench that you don't bang the pump, to assure you don't damage it.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
One other suggestion is to make sure that the tank is supported so that it is not resting on the fuel pump and when moving the tank around your bench that you don't bang the pump, to assure you don't damage it.

The pump is inside the tank and the lower edges of the tank are actually lower than the vent lines and fuel connection. You shouldn't have a problem resting it on the ground.

Regardless, still be carefull. It is an expensive part.

The GSXR's are the only tanks I have seen that do not have the fuel pump recessed into the tank. :spank:

-bryan

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
wouldn't you want to remove the pump/cap/etc before painting anyway? Especially as we know they rust under the cap I would be sure to paint in there......