Tank Bag Recommendations

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
What would you recommend for a tank bag? I'm looking at motorcycle-superstore.com and there are several, but I'm concerned about fit mainly.
Not too concerned with storage that much, I have a backpack and will just take a couple changes of clothes and minor things. What I really want is a low profile (so I can tuck in easily, I love just laying down onto the tank and giving that throttle a good twist), and a spot to put my cell phone and/or possibly travel maps. I would really like to be able to read the phone for GPS while traveling.

All input wanted :D

Mud

PS: This is a retarded question. But are magnetic bags JUST magnetic as the only way to hold it to the tank? Do you ever worry about these falling/flying off? And would you recommend one of these over one that straps to the tank?

Last edited:

david323

Can't Re Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Hammerhead. Phone and GPS pockets on top with clear windows so you can see them are a plus.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually magnetic tank bags are held on with just magnets -- a lot of manufacturers have strapped versions as well, so you could probably figure something out.

My magnetic tank bag is BIG, and even at the large size (and should catch more wind), I've never had it budge on the tank, so I wouldn't worry about it coming off.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few bags and my fave is my Joe Rocket Manta.

I have a Cortech but the foam rubber failed very quickly. I used the bag daily as a commuter and the magnets pulled through in less than a month. The Manta has a different material that works better and is perfect after years of abuse.
Consider what material the bag has if it has magnets...:)

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Dowco fastrax. It's a large bag, but on some longer stretches of road I can rest a little weight on it. Lots of room and a great map pocket (I put the gps in there). Got it for under 100 bucks.

super strong magnets. Never has moved, I'm actually a little concerned about putting my wallet and credit cards in there.

aeff0198-9bc6-fc4d.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for the Givi T480 TankLock. It has a retaining ring that sits on top of the fuel filler. Once in place, the ring supports the bag above the tank, it never touches it. Quite sturdy as well. Once I loaded it with a Nikon d300 w/18-200 lens, a Nikon d200 body, and a full size flash and rode to a car show. It was heavy, but it never misbehaved.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm taking a look at these all the input is appreciated!

I'm probably not going to get one of the bigger ones, all I want it to hold is wallet, keys, map, phone, maybe 1 or 2 misc small things.

Thanks again :)

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
supriseing but i got one from a local Lidl store ... it has the magnetic grips and map pack on top with pockets sides and rear... also has a clip that goes round steering colum with no restriction ... also if you unzip bottom part holds a spare helmet i used for my daughter easily
that was £25

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using my Rapid Transit Recon 19 for the last 18 months and love it! Even with the hydration pack filled up I can still put my basic road trip/everday ride supplies in it. It's extremely durable and the waterproof cover is quick but efficient.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm taking a look at these all the input is appreciated!

I'm probably not going to get one of the bigger ones, all I want it to hold is wallet, keys, map, phone, maybe 1 or 2 misc small things.

Thanks again :)

Sounds like you need the Joe Rocket Manta. It's small enough so you can still tuck yourself down nice and low. You can stick the chin of your full face helmet into the bag and still be under the windshield airflow. I also has a nice exterior quick access pocket that will hold cash, garage opener or whatever. The magnets hold it very securely and I've never had mine move at speed. :thumbup:

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
My Marsee Tank bag is absolutely the best I've ever owned. I highly recommend it to any one doing a long trip. It has a grey silver lining inside so you don't have to fish around in a "black hole" for your stuff. I also rode through 40-45mph crosswinds in Wyoming all day back in june and the magnets are so strong it didn't budge at all. I believe they make them in smaller sizes like you're looking for. A little pricey but worth it.

540401_469027643111875_871262468_n.jpg

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Joe Rocket Manta, it fits the tank hump perfectly & the blue one matches the "faster blue" FZ pretty well. It has a little pad on the rear that acts as a tank protector & the magnets are rock-solid.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Joe Rocket Manta, it fits the tank hump perfectly & the blue one matches the "faster blue" FZ pretty well. It has a little pad on the rear that acts as a tank protector & the magnets are rock-solid.

Nice looking bike. I like the rim stripes. Pretty cool belly pan also. Make that yourself?

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking bike. I like the rim stripes. Pretty cool belly pan also. Make that yourself?

Thanks! Yes, I did make the belly pan myself out of diamondplate aluminum as I couldn't find a functional one for sale for our bikes. I mainly made it to protect the exhaust. I've heard several, several rocks "ping" off of it so I guess it's working. It stays dirty from the front tire slinging road grime up. The way I see it, that's stuff that's not getting on my exhaust now. :rockon: Here's a close-up.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, I did make the belly pan myself out of diamondplate aluminum as I couldn't find a functional one for sale for our bikes. I mainly made it to protect the exhaust. I've heard several, several rocks "ping" off of it so I guess it's working. It stays dirty from the front tire slinging road grime up. The way I see it, that's stuff that's not getting on my exhaust now. :rockon: Here's a close-up.

Awesome! I have been thinking of making one myself. I also want something that is more functional. All the stuff they have out there is just for looks.