Tank bag or top case?? What do you recommend?

I need one piece to carry luggage : tank bag or top case?

• Tank bag

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Top case

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Both (small tank bag, only used to lay out map in case of top case)

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

ok I'm planning my first 4-day trip with the Fizzer. I'll be riding with friends, but not 2-up.

I'll need to take some luggage obviously, but I figured one piece would be enough.

Now my question to you all is : would you rather install a top case or a tank bag?

Or both? But in that case I would buy the smallest tank bag available, and merely use it to lay out my map. I don't have a GPS on board.

How does a top case affect the handling and feel versus a tank bag? If the price is no issue, what do you prefer and why?

See picture below. That's NOT my bike. It's just to show you what I have in mind, but I only want one of those two.

DCP_3045.jpg

Thanks!

aproccos

Reaction score
Visit site
Top case is going to set you back over $300 (rack and box) but is sweet.
I have one and love it. If you don't mind spending the money it is worth it. If you don't want to break the bank go with a nice tail bag. Cortech makes a good one for under $100. Either way get a tank bag (small or large) very handy.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I highly recommend both. Top box is very useful for all the o/n stuff and the tank bag is for the stuff that you need at hand. Sometimes is use a tankbag and my panniers if i'm away for more than a couple of days!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I dislike both :( I may end up getting a very very small tank bag eventually but I dislike the top case by itself because I think it looks fugly. I have to cheap 'cloth' sidebags that I can take off very quickly when I don't need them. They have enough room between them to hold my jacket, pants, and helmet.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use both but when I get to where I am staying I take the tank bag off and leave the top case and side boxes on.

I usually strap the tent to the top of the top box and Jannie sits on the back.
It is not a problem and does not effect handling, as far as I am concerned.

We did 3500Km in France this year plus another 13000km around Denmark and Germany without any problems.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dislike both :( I may end up getting a very very small tank bag eventually but I dislike the top case by itself because I think it looks fugly. I have to cheap 'cloth' sidebags that I can take off very quickly when I don't need them. They have enough room between them to hold my jacket, pants, and helmet.

I can take all my hard bags off in less than 20 seconds. They can also hold all our riding gear, that is for 2 persons including boots but does not include helmets as they get chained to the bike.

We can be off the bike and in shorts and t-shirts in 5 minutes. It is so nice in summer.

At the end of the day it comes down to what is practical and what is pretty and personally I go for the practical.

Steve

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
It will cost you but Racks, Top Box and Side Cases.
You will love it!
I use my side cases only when I'm going on a trip... The top box stays on all the time. Yes it looks a bit odd at first but you get use to it. I thought I would take mine off when I felt "sporty" only takes one push of the button but oddly enough when I take it off.....I miss it, when you are concentrating on that fast sweeper you don't know it's there. I do have a tank bag but have not used it on the FZ - yet (the other bike no racks)... that would be a really, really long trip!
Good thing is you can step off the bike and do what you please without much worry your stuff is going to be missing when you get back vs tank bag or what's strapped down exposed.
Hint... top box, get a Big One... if you are going to do it do it right! Oh by the way if you go Givi and do your homework you actually can put the Top box on the side. I just have the cheap ones for the side...not quite as much to worry about "splitting lanes" in theory but not much of that because these only go on during a trips.
The racks alone don't look to bad.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the Shad50. Cheapest and better than givi. Their mount works with all exhausts and a much much cleaner install. See my thread about it.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can take all my hard bags off in less than 20 seconds. They can also hold all our riding gear, that is for 2 persons including boots but does not include helmets as they get chained to the bike.

We can be off the bike and in shorts and t-shirts in 5 minutes. It is so nice in summer.

At the end of the day it comes down to what is practical and what is pretty and personally I go for the practical.

Steve

Yeah but you have the top and the sides... I just can't stand the top case by itself ;) I'd love to get all three in hard cases but right now I can't justify the expense when my $30 bags do my job for me.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my set up for touring...Bagster tank bra & bag, Yamaha top rack & 46 litre case.

View attachment 9266

Yamaha top case rack is great, no bars hanging down side of the bike, easy to put on and remove quickly, very sturdy...top case is quality kit too.

Bagster stuff is expensive but very good.

I recommend both highly if your interested in doing regular touring, or gear carrying.

But if you are only doing verey occasional stuff, tank bags are a lot lot cheaper, and there is a million different sizes, brands, etc.

Good luck with your choice.

:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Top cases RULE!

I also have a tank bag that has three major pieces that can be used seperately or all together depending on how much stuff I need to bring with me.

I hate sidebags - they make the bike wider, cloth ones are just a pain, they can get in the passenger's way, and they sag over time (hard ones are nicer of course).

I voted BOTH assuming cost is not an issue.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol! have to agree...waterproof, lockable, they dont sag, good passenger safety bonus, and easy to take off the bike.

:thumbup:

Yeah, they double as a sissy-bar, make the bike more visible from behind especially if you add wiring, can hold much more than they are rated for, the rack flows with the lines of the bike when the case is removed, and you can't tell they are there when you're riding. Oh yeah, they make wheelies easier if you're so inclined :D

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but you have the top and the sides... I just can't stand the top case by itself ;) I'd love to get all three in hard cases but right now I can't justify the expense when my $30 bags do my job for me.

to each his own .. if u anyway don't carry so much stuff then there is no point in thinking about hard cases as anyway they are meant to carry a lot of stuff. The top case may look a bit weird but it doesn't look bad in person at all. Infact I cannot live without it now since it carries so much stuff reducing the need for a backpack or a tankbag ...

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for both. I haven't done any long trips yet, but if I do I'll probably get a top case or some soft luggage for the back and use a tank bag on the front. I have a Joe Rocket Mantra tank bag which is tiny and works. I keep my patch kit, CO2 cartridges, and other stuff in the main pocket. My handheld GPS fits perfectly in the top pocket and the window lines up with the GPS screen so that I can see it. Then I keep the garage remote and snacks in the smaller pouch up front. I love it for a small bag.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful! :thumbup:

I don't like bags hanging on the side of the bike though. Although they might be cheap and more than enough for me, since I won't be carrying luggage very often, I'd rather spend some more and get hard cases. I do agree with Steve that practical goes above what's pretty...

But on the other hand, I hate being limited on what I can take with me, so having a cool top case might even expand the occassions on where I can travel on two wheels as opposed to four.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I guess I'll start to look into tank bags and top case and then see what my wallet allows...

Pretty excited about the trip though, yay :cheer:

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Mantra tankbag and it's not bad, but I'd rather have a tail bag so I could bring my shoes with me and not be stuck in my boots all day when I ride. Dealership didn't have any tail bags, so I went with a tank bag. I just like being able to take wallet, keys, cell phone out of my pockets when I ride.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Cotech sport tail bag is just about the best motorcyle bargain (at list price) I've ever seen. $60 for an amazing bag. I combine that with a small tank bag with map pocket, and I'm set for several days for $120.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a nice tank bag and some saddle bags. I have both for mine and the bags hold more than the top case would have. Plus i think it makes it look fugly to have a big case on the back by itself. Put a top case with matching hard bags and now you got something.