Tailbag Choices

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Earlier I said I was going to get the Shad top box. But I changed my mind, and here's why. The cheapest route would be at least around $300 including the rack and top box. Not too expensive, but I'm looking for something that I can take out easily and take with me, and fits a laptop. I'm looking at two tailbags that might fit my need. This is where I need your guys opinion.

My two choices are:

Cortech tail bag Cortech by Tour Master Cortech Tail Bag :: MotorcycleGear.com priced at $89.99.

Chase Harper 4100 B-Alaska tail bag Chase Harper 4100 B-Alaska Tail Bag :: MotorcycleGear.com priced at $69.99.

For some reason I am leaning towards the chase harper. Not only because of the price but because I think the mounting system might allow me to quickly put in on and take it off. Also might be perfect size to fit a laptop in laptop case. I'm not sure how I will mount a tailbag with a bungee system. Which mounting solution is better???

I need your guys opinions!!! I'm buying one of these within a week.

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech sport luggage, saddlebags and tailbag, and have been very happy. My only complaints have been more with the FZ and trying to figure out how to mount them without rubbing on the paint or laying against the exhaust shields. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I can say from experience that Cortech stuff is top notch.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Cortech tailbag. It isn't the same one you posted, but I am very happy with it. In the future I will probably pick up the saddle bags that mount up with the bag.

KBrink

Reaction score
Visit site
Chase Harper bags have always treated me well, I've had one for years with no issues. I also use Nelson Riggs bags, I think they're a little cheaper than most, but last just as long. :thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the cortech tail and saddle bags for 5 years now and still use them pretty regularly. Have held up remarkably well over the years. I'd highly recommend them.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
A tail bag? Seriously? I can understand saddlebags, but why drop that kind of money on a tailbag? Maybe if you're going to use it everyday. Otherwise, go down to your local walmart and pick up a bungee cargo net for $8. Then you can secure any backpack to the passenger seat. Even better, when you get to where you're going, you can wear your backpack.

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
The cortech tail bag pops off and can be worn also. It is $65 or so some places and has a rain cover.

keef

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the CoreTech Sport Tail bag and saddle bags. They serve my purpose fairly well. I have only used the saddle bags once on a trip home with all 3 bags packed to capacity. I took the most direct route on I-75 and averaged about 75 mph, I did not even notice they were behind me.
They do come with rain covers but was told by a friend that they do not work that well if you are caught riding in the rain for long period of times. I have not used the rain covers yet.

Yesterday I was checking out the Kriega tail bags. They appear to be fairly promising.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 The CoreTech Sport Tail bag is great... I love mine, and you do forget it's behind you... It's very easy to hook on and off the bike...

motodingo

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have the Cortech sport luggage, saddlebags and tailbag, and have been very happy. My only complaints have been more with the FZ and trying to figure out how to mount them without rubbing on the paint or laying against the exhaust shields. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I can say from experience that Cortech stuff is top notch.
I completely agree re: the Cortech. Aside from the mounting instructions needing some improvement, the biggest problem I've had is finding an easy non-damaging way to mount and attach them. Why fz6 why must you make it so difficult to hook things onto you!

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Cortech and find it convenient in general and easy to mount.

I just wrap the straps through the passenger grips and underneath, then connect the clips to each other. It's never fallen off.

I also like how it can clip in to the saddlebags should I choose to add them later.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I miss my yamaha sport tail bag.. wonder why yamaha stopped carrying these.. they were great...

IMG_0794.jpg