Tail pack or panniers?

andysadd

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at doing some longer journeys on the Fazer now my confidence is higher. So far luggage wise ive been using a Tank Bag which is good for a couple of days worth of kit but it iss annoying having it all there in front of you.

So im after another soloution, Im looking at carrying 5 days worth of kit now should i spread this out among my tank bag and a tail pack or would I be better throwing the lot in a pair of panniers?

Any advice appreciated

Andy

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you could probably get more in the panniers, but a tank bag is handy to stow your valuables as you can remove it quickly. You could always have a rucksack though and take that with you!

I've done a few trips, one with a full on set up of panniers, tailpack, top box, tank bag and backpack - which was heavy but the bike coped perfectly (I even forgot to adjust the suspension!). The other was a camping trip with just panniers, back pack and the tent strapped across the seat - this was great even pushing hard in the twisties!

The main advice is travel as light as you can! :D

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
if you're talking about the tail bag that sits on the rear seat, I'd go for
the panniers...unless you have a really long inseam it's a pain getting on
and off the bike with a tail bag...or maybe you're referring to the top case
type carrier, sits on a bracket behind the rear seat, looks in my opinion
ridiculous unless you have the saddle bags on too...if I had to chose one
or the other I'd go with the saddle bags, looks, function, lower center of gravity etc

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got some cheap soft luggage. It works fine and came with rain covers. It's an RDM set (smallish tankbag, tailpack and panniers) and I got them from Infinity Motorcycles for £64.99. Not a bad price!

You can get more expensive Oxford sets but not sure how much better they are. There's always second hand stuff on ebay too.

Distephano

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got done doing a 4 day trip around Lake Michigan and I picked up a set of Fieldsheer expander saddlebags.

Fieldsheer Expander Saddlebags - BikeBandit.com

I was very happy them. I managed to take quite a bit of stuff with me for this trip. (More than I needed, I realize now).

When I packed for the trip, I expanded the bags and by the time we were on our way home, I was able to compress them down, due to eating or throwing away some of the things in the bags and putting dirty/wet clothes in a stuff stack lashed down on top of my tent and sleeping pad.

In one bag I put all of my clothes
-Extra pair of jeans
-Pair of shorts
-Pair of swimming trunks
-4 pairs of boxers
-4 pairs of socks
-3 t-shirts
-1 long sleeve thermal
-1 hat
-2 pairs of riding glasses
-rain suit
-small bath towel

Plus I also got a misc. things and extra ziplock bags in the outer pocket.

The other bag I packed:
-Tools
-Fruit bars
-Beef Jerky
-Sunflower seeds
-Sleeping bag
-Shower Stuff
-Personal Hygiene Stuff
-Rain Covers for the bags
-Cutting board
-A few small cooking items
-Camera, extra battery, extra memory card, 12 volt charger
-12 volt phone charger

On the back of my seat I strapped down my tent (3 man backpacking tent), a self inflating sleeping pad, my flip flops, a water jug and a stuff sack with my dirty and wet clothes.

Overall, I was VERY happy with the bags. They seemed to sit well on the bike, not too much sag. However, I do plan to rethink my mounting plans for next time, as i think I could still set it up better.

I also think, next time I'll change up my packing style a bit as well. Maybe a few less clothes and stop some place to wash things. Also, get more "mini" size things like shower soap, etc and maybe get one of those small, quick try camp towels.

Here is a couple of pictures as well:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

chill

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the the Nelson Riggs (Silver Streak Series) tail-roll , and mini-sport saddlebags . :rockon:

They worked great for a 7 day trip along the Oregon coast to N. California and back to Vancouver. Although, I did pack light considering it was 7 days.

I could hardly tell they were there, ...until I had to get off the bike. They come with rain covers (pictured below) that worked really well ...although I would still recommend a plastic bag inside ea. bag (just in case). :D

picture.php

Doug

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy with my Luggage Locker tail bag. You can put a ton in it and travel for five days if you pack light. Adding the Luggage Locker tank bag would be a sweet set up.

I'd guess stapping a tent to the top of it would work fine.

I use an Axio tail bag for around town. It's much smaller but looks like it was made for the bike and holds plenty for day trips.

paulie75

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Andy,

I did a 5 day camping trip in south western New Mexico and Arizona. I have the Givi side cases in which I packed my gloves, fleece, camping stove, dishwares, and food. I had my tent, sleeping bag and pad straped down with a cargo net and a backpack with my clothes and toiletries straped to my base for a top case(havent decided on which one I want yet). I also wore a camel back for water and I kept my camera, wallet and book in it. It was still light and didnt feel it on my back. I had a total of 950 miles and the bike handled great enev on some great twisty roads.

I also have heard great things about the Feildsheer and the Tourmaster side bags. I like the security of the Givis.:thumbup:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Yamaha top case on mine - 44 L which isn't really enough to tour with but holds a lot of stuff and is rain proof. I wanted to add some side cases but have a TBR exhaust and can't mount the side railings. I use either a JR Manta small tank bag for day trips or have a large expandable tank bag for more gear.