Tail of the Dragon ride

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on how things go saturday at work we just had a new furnace droped off yesterday set it today and have to have all the gas lines hopefully ran saturday while we can shut the gas down, if we get it done sat then yes but if not then ill be workin sunday too

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have fun guys! I was up there a few weeks ago. Leaves were just starting to change. Hopefully here in a few weeks I will be living just north of Knoxville.

BlueMoON

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds good to me. Where will you be leaving from in the AM? I am planning on leaving my house at about 7, I should be in the Mall of Ga area at about 7:30. Will this work for you?
7am and that too on a Sunday is really hard for me to pull off, I am going to try but ....:confused: ChevyFazer can testify as 8:00am meetup time resulted in me showing up at 8:40 :spank:
I think it would be more realistic to schedule meetup time at 8:00 am, at Mall of GA? let me know....

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
LOL PM sent, here's a copy...

Yeah, 8's cool. There is a Race Track gas station on 20 toward Lawrenceville when you get off of 85 at the Mall of Ga exit. I'll meet you there at 8 sharp. I'll have to cut out and head back home around 1ish, is that cool with you (I have some thing I have to do Sunday evening)? I have no problem riding back alone if you were planning on staying later.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Here is the route I was planning on taking Sunday. This is a Garmin GPS file I created using MapSource. I tried to find a way to convert this to Google Maps but no such luck...

There are 2 alternate routes as well, one through Wolf Pen Gap and another around Richard Russell Hwy. If we want we can take one of these on the way back. Wolf Pen Gap is a fun road, parts of Richard Russell were being repaved the last time I was down it on Aug. 7th (here are some pics Back to North Georgia for another ride - August 7th 2011)

Here's the GPS map -> http://theblattners.com/downloads/9-25-11_Gainville_Dragon.zip

Here's a screen shot from Google Earth
GoogleEarthSS1.jpg

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
We had a great time, you should have come along. BlueMoon is a really nice guy, I was glad to have been able to meet him. We left the Mall of Ga around 8:30 or so, and was on the dragon by about 1 I guess (didn't look at the clock). We left Deals Gap at around 2:30. I'm glad we went, now I see what the fuss is all about. Hopefully BlueMoon will post some of the pics he took. I took a few, but I am NOT a photographer by any means :) I'm sure his will come out a lot better.

I'd like to go back again, just need to schedule a little more time :) I was kind of in a hurry to get back home as I told my wife and son I'd try to be back by 4 or so, but I didn't end up getting home until after 6.

It was a really fun day!!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya i really wanted to go but i ended up working sunday i went in around 8 and didnt get off untill about 7....it took alot longer then we anticipated but it was sunday and for me that means double time and if given the oppertunity to work on sunday ima jump on it....but im sure i missed out on a great ride though, oh well theres always next time. But was there a bunch on riders up there and are the leaves turning yet?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Not near as many as I expected. I thought the road would be full of bikes but really weren't that many. Coming back down we let a few bikes in a pack go by, but on the way up there wasn't anyone close to me in front or in back. It was a really nice time to go.

BlueMoON

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly I had (involuntarily) changed the settings in my camera to lower res but here are some of the pics any ways...

It was a beautiful day, great company and an awesome ride. Although it was really chilly in the morning and both GTPAddict and I were doubting our decisions of leaving jacket liners but it warmed up nicely during the day...

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2357.JPG

BlueMoON

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't set my trip odometer but I believe it was a 370 - 400 mile round trip for me with quite a few stops as we didn't rush it at all... I left my place around 7:50am and was back around 6:40 pm.

hell i wouldnt mind about how far milage wise ther and back??

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Kicking myself

You should be :D

I clocked about 350 miles from the time I left my house to when I returned that night.

Edit - I do have a SpeedoDRD, so this would be closer to the mileage BlueMoon figured (about 375)

And thanks for posting those pics, they turned out a lot better then mine!

Last edited: