Tail light not showing braking

lgs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey gang.

My tail light works, but doesn't brighten when i activate either brake. I'd like to sort this out myself as my regular garage is 10 miles across london and i don't want to (continue to) risk the fuzz.

Is there a switch / fuse i should check?

Oh i did have a new undertray fitted only a week ago, but it to come away working after that.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock taillight comes with a double filament bulb and one of the filaments, the brake light in this case, must be burned. You need the replace the bulb.

Last edited:

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. 1157 is the one you're looking for. I've had a couple of them go pop but at least they're really easy to swap out. Amazon will post you a pair for not a lot of money (just search for 1157 ... one to replace the broken one, the other as a spare for next time) or Halfords will overcharge you quite happily for one.

If you unscrew the holder it comes back out of the tail light section and you should see one bit lights up, the other doesn't when you pull the brake.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above re the bulb burnt out..

An 1157 will fit.

Yamaha's original / replacement bulb has three stems that hold the filiment vs two for the regular 1157.

This third stem helps keep vibration from popping the filiments shortening its life. The Yamaha bulb is also noticeably brighter as I've compared both at the same time on the tail light (dual bulbs) on my FJR..

A little bit more expensive, the Yamaha part # is: 1 A2-84714-41 .

Being the FZ only has one tail light, IMHO, the extra cost to have a bulb that's brighter and WILL LAST LONGER, is well worth picking up one..

As a side note, I added a Hyperlite running/brake LED light should the tail light fail (either element) as a back up just above the tag..

Last edited:

lgs

Reaction score
Visit site
As a side note, I added a Hyperlite running/brake LED light should the tail light fail (either element) as a back up just above the tag..

Thats a nice touch. I'll think about that'n for myself.

Latest development is that it is not the bulb. Got a new one in and it's still the same. What do i check next?

Thanks again all.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe one of the bolts from the new undertray install went through the brake light wire? As far as I remember the wiring goes from rear to front on left side of the bike.
Remove the seat and remove the 2 bolts on the left side plastic shield (pull the shield off sideways). Then you can track the wiring backwards...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a nice touch. I'll think about that'n for myself.

Latest development is that it is not the bulb. Got a new one in and it's still the same. What do i check next?

Thanks again all.

There are two brake light switches. Have you tried both switches to eliminate the possibility it's a switch? It could of course be the the fuse.

lgs

Reaction score
Visit site
There are two brake light switches. Have you tried both switches to eliminate the possibility it's a switch? It could of course be the the fuse.

How do i go about checking the switches? I've had a look at the underside of the hand brake lever (which makes a clicky noise when i pull it) and all seems properly attached. This is where the switch for that is, yes?! Sorry for all the questions, im new to this but i want to learn. And where would i find the fuse? I've read other threads and people only ever seem to lose one or the other (foot or hand brake).

lgs

Reaction score
Visit site
That's done it. Simply some loose wiring that a little LX tape has sorted.

Thanks for the help everyone. You have helped a simple man solve a simple (yet important) problem.

Safe ridings.