Tail light LED replacement bulb

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I want to order a LED replacement bulb for my tail light; I need a simple plug & play, I don’t want to take the lamp apart, I just need a brighter bulb.

I searched the site Boneman recommended & I found 2 bulbs that will fit on my bike.
Please help me decide which one is better.

Here is the 1st one – this is called “Dual Function Motorcycle Tail/Brake & License Plate Lamp”.
It has 19 Red LEDs facing the lenses, and 6 White LED (for license plate) radially mounted.
I thought this is good since I need some light to go to the inside lamps diffusers.
The diameter of this bulb is 2.5mm (I think is identical with the OEM bulb which I took out & measure):
Motorcycle Dual Function Tail/Brake & License Plate Lamp

The 2nd one is just a simple 24 LED replacement for 1157 Bulb (I think this is what is the type of bulb that is on my bike - 1157).
This also has 6 LEDs radially mounted & 18 facing the lenses, but here I can buy all white (which I will prefer).
The diameter of this bulb is 2.6mm (I think it will still fit in the housing):
24-LED 1156/1157 Bulb Specifications

Both cost the same. Please help me decide which one is better (or other LED bulbs you can recommend).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I don’t think there is a replacement for our tail/brake bulb that is necessarily brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. I think I have purchased four different ones, trying to find what you are looking for. The two you referenced look similar to ones I have tried. With that said, I am running an LED, this one:

1156_5w_r_wm.jpg

The above is called the Eagle Eye 5, available here. It is very bright, and at least approaches the stock bulb. But it does not emit any light to the sides or rear, so the light pattern does not completely fill the reflector behind the lens.

Also, you mentioned that you want all white LEDs. I believe that the recommendation is to match the LED color to the lens color, so our tail/brake light would use red LEDs. Also, yes, it is an 1157 bulb.

Last edited:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
Your Better off buying one of the complete LED replacement kits from ebay, they tend to have generally favorable reviews. I made some, but I can't compete with the ebay prices.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
In my tests with replacement LED lamps, none were as bright as the standard bulb, and worse still the life was appalling on the ones that approached the brightness of the standard bulb.

I had LEDs fail after a number of starts of the bike.

I had LEDs fail due to mechanical failure of solder.

I went back to the standard bulb and fitted these [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkGS2Iff4g0]YouTube - Additional LED running/brake lights[/ame]