Sync'd my TB's today

GeneM

Reaction score
Visit site
the trick here is that the ECU bases A/F ratio on the exhaust that has come from all 4 (you just have the 1 O2 sensor) - so while it'll lean out a rich mixture, it doesn't know which cylinder was the rich one, it'll cut them all the same amount - meaning an out of sync throttle body will still screw things up.

That makes sense........

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Sync'd mine up yesterday and now she runs much sweeter and the engine now sounds like a turbine under hard accelleration!
She's an 08 S2 bought with 12k miles and now done 20k so I guess it had never been done becuse one of the tb's was way out.

FYI
It is possible to sync with a home made manometer ( I made my first one but now have a pro unit ) but to do the job right first you must get the insHg right on cylinder 1 and this can be the work of seconds using a vacuum (or 'Low' ) gauge. Actually I say cyl 1, it doesn't really matter which one because you will eventually sync all the others with it. You just connect up to one tube, start her up (warmed) and watch the dial bounce around all over.... stop that by simply folding/crimping the dial's rubber tube in your hand until the needle settles. I believe that the tube with the red line on the end coresponds to tb1 screw when approaching the bike from the kick stand (left) side.

I work in inches so the readout on the dial would be about 8.5 insHg. For cmsHg just make the standard conversion ins>cms.

I'm sure theres a thread here that explains things more fully, like hingeing up the tank etc.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sync'd mine up yesterday and now she runs much sweeter and the engine now sounds like a turbine under hard accelleration!
She's an 08 S2 bought with 12k miles and now done 20k so I guess it had never been done becuse one of the tb's was way out.

FYI
It is possible to sync with a home made manometer ( I made my first one but now have a pro unit ) but to do the job right first you must get the insHg right on cylinder 1 and this can be the work of seconds using a vacuum (or 'Low' ) gauge. Actually I say cyl 1, it doesn't really matter which one because you will eventually sync all the others with it. You just connect up to one tube, start her up (warmed) and watch the dial bounce around all over.... stop that by simply folding/crimping the dial's rubber tube in your hand until the needle settles. I believe that the tube with the red line on the end coresponds to tb1 screw when approaching the bike from the kick stand (left) side.

I work in inches so the readout on the dial would be about 8.5 insHg. For cmsHg just make the standard conversion ins>cms.

I'm sure theres a thread here that explains things more fully, like hingeing up the tank etc.

Yep, the pro models have very small restrictor insert that goes in the hose(s) and helps settle things down...

I also check the sync at 4k RPM's and adjust accordingly, gets rid of 90% of the buzz. Just a little bit off at 4k makes a pretty big difference at 4k (where I was getting most of my buzz). I found, as I recall, #4 pulling a but harder at 4K and adjusted accordingly. Their all within 3mm. And yes, at idle, it still falls well within spec(10mm)..

Last edited:

bertrum

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey townsend i live in fort myers maybe you could help me with sync. I was thinking of building a manometer but maybe you could help me.? I could pay you!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey townsend i live in fort myers maybe you could help me with sync. I was thinking of building a manometer but maybe you could help me.? I could pay you!

PM me.

Piece of cake, just like to get it done fairly early before it gets too hot...

I'm across the bridge, in the SW Cape.

Any other goodies you want to add on while we're under the tank, gather them up!.

And run the tank down to about halfways please :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I would add that before you two get together, run at least one full tank of Techron fuel treatment through it and check your plug gap and cap resistors as well fit between plug wires and cap body. Doing this and the TB sync will make it uuber Smooth!!!!

Thanks Scott!

PM me.

Piece of cake, just like to get it done fairly early before it gets too hot...

I'm across the bridge, in the SW Cape.

Any other goodies you want to add on while we're under the tank, gather them up!.

And run the tank down to about halfways please :thumbup: