Sylvania Silverstar Ultra vs. Philips X-treme Power Review/Comparison

Reaction score
Visit site
This will a mini review of both lights and a personal comparison of the two.

So ever since I got my Fazer I've been wanting/doing as much *cheap* mods/upgrades one of which consist of upgrading the stock OEM light bulbs.
I wanted not only a nice *white* light but one that has a lot of light output on them.

-Sylvania Silverstar Ultra *h7*
Oh boy... this guy was not cheap... a single h7 bulb ranges in high $20 close about $30 a bulb. The bulb has a nice bright white light to it with a hint of yellow but its not the same as an OEM HID light but still looks nice to it. It puts out a very nice white light and pretty bright. The downside is that it is expensive and has a short life before it burns out.

-Philips X-Treme Power *h7*
The Philips is much cheaper , picked up a pair from Amazon for $25, the light it output is less white then the Sylvania with a tint of more yellow but barely noticeable. Supposedly, the Philips has less light output but I couldn't tell the differences but what I did notice was that it puts more *usable* light on the road and it has a slightly better light pattern so even though its not as white or as bright as the Sylvania; personally I think its better because you'll have more light on the road with a slightly better spread pattern. Also, it will last longer, can't say for sure how much longer though. My last Silverstar Ultra burnt out in 5months *roughly 7k miles*

I'll get back to you guys when the Philips burn out as well.

~SilverStar Ultra~
+Whiter light
+Brighter
+Easier to find *at least where I live* Available at most Wal Mart
-Cost
-Short life

~X-Treme Power~
+Cheaper
+More usable light
+Better light patter
-More Yellow but whiter then OEM
-Not as Bright

Do keep in mind that all this is my own subjective opinion because someone else might think the Philips is brighter and etc etc.

But overall; Personally I think the Philips rated a higher score in my book.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, just keep forgetting to do it. Thanks for the write up:thumbup:

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have been wanting to change that light. I will be getting the x-treme power, and will let you know what I think of it as well. Thanks for the write up, and your opinion. :)

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind mounting a ballast speed metal has a kit at cycle gear for 55$ IMO great option if you know your not going to do a full retro fit

Reaction score
Visit site
I've worked with those aftermarket HID's for my car before, probably have gone through about 4 sets so far from 35watt and 55watt ranging from 4500k, 6000k, 8000k and 10,000K temperature.

The reason I don't want to put that on my bike is because without the proper projector fitment it would put out "too" much light and nearly half of that would bounce everywhere in the reflector which would cause glaring in the cars around me, last thing I need is to have a car slam into me because he couldn't see because my lights were blinding him.

Also, those kits don't work too well because the H7 bulb in the Fazer has a extension adapter ensuring a more tight fit; I really want to be safe on the road first then I'll go for appearances.

But I do appreciate you pointing out the kit, Cyclegear has it for a good price although for aftermarket HID needs do check out DDM Tuning. They have a wider range of choices.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. I've been using Silverstars (not ultra.. I find there's very little difference between the 2) for the past 3-4 seasons and I've been very happy with them, but I'll try Xtremes next time. :thumbup: