Switching to Xenon Headlight bulbs...PLS HELP!

bigolkep

Reaction score
Visit site
I have already posted a thread about switching to xenon bulbs but nobody has posted anything on it in a while. I just want a second opinion before I spend the cash on the new bulbs... From what Ive been told the xenon bulbs can DIRECTLY replace the halogen bulbs...is this a fact? I just want to be sure.Im not looking to mod anything just for xenon bulbs I just like the look of them better than the halogens...please help me

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, Xenon bulbs are a direct replacement for halogen bulbs. I installed some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs i my bike after I bought it. The color output is around 4,100 K which is brighter than stock, but not into the HID spectrum yet.

They're bright and aren't that sickening blue or purple color that actually reduces light output.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Not really true. Xenon (HID) is not a direct replacement. They have to be powered by a ballast. Silverstars are not xenon, they are just a whiter halogen.

Also color temperature (ie-4100k) does NOT correspond to brightness. It corresponds to the whiteness of the light. You can get HID in 2700k and 3000k yellow for foul weather up to 12000k which is very purple. 4100k is the whitest and will give you the most USABLE light.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Not really true. Xenon (HID) is not a direct replacement. They have to be powered by a ballast. Silverstars are not xenon, they are just a whiter halogen.

Also color temperature (ie-4100k) does NOT correspond to brightness. It corresponds to the whiteness of the light. You can get HID in 2700k and 3000k yellow for foul weather up to 12000k which is very purple. 4100k is the whitest and will give you the most USABLE light.

Good point! The headlamps I was referring to (Silverstars) are Xenon filled halogen bulbs. They are not the same thing as a Xenon-arc (HID) lamp which operates on a different principle entirely.

Halogen bulbs operate by heating a thin Tungsten filiment inside a gas filled capsule. HID lamps operate by sending an arc of electricity through a gas filled envelope which causes the gas to illuminate.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my stock bulbs with Philips Moto Vision, they claim to be 40% brighter than stock and have an orange halo effect that sets you apart from the other lights on the road.

They are definitely much brighter, lots of good white light. Straight swop with stock, no ballasts or funny stuff required.