Suzuki GSXR650 vs. Yamaha FZ6

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Suzuki GSX650F vs. Yamaha FZ6

Geez. Motorcycle Consumer News (June, 2008) did a feature on the 2008 Suzuki GSx650F. I was amazed how much more powerful the Yamaha FZ6 stacks up against this Suzuki in a spec chart enclosed within the article. Wow! The Yamaha has WAY more horsepower, faster top speed, and quicker 1/4 mile time. The Suzuki is an inline four and has more than actual 600 cc's. I didn't realize that the Yamaha outdid the Suzuki so much in these categories. Now, I know better why the Yamaha FZ6 is considered a gem performance wise.

Last edited:

yamadavidson46

Reaction score
Visit site
The comparision was with the GSX650F a way different bike than a GSXR600. The results would have been completely different with the Gixxer 600

Valles240

Reaction score
Visit site
The comparision was with the GSX650F a way different bike than a GSXR600. The results would have been completely different with the Gixxer 600

This is true. But then again you can't really compare the gsxr600 to an fz6, it would have to be the r6 to keep it fair, in which case the yamaha is still faster ;)

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
CanadianFZ6 also picked up on my incompetence. I think that this has to be one of the biggest suck-posts. I mean, to get the model f'up (and I'm not a politician). Boneman probably has finished his 10 minute "waiting period" and is now blowing a forum gasket over yet another zero pre-research FZ6 post. I take full responsibility (now I'm sounding like serious politician). As soon as I get home I'm going to kick the dog. And, yes, I meant to say the GSX650F comparison with the FZ6. Is it possible to just jettison this entire post?

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess you need to take into account the fact that the FZ6 is powered by the old R6 engine...what powers the GSX650F? A new production "value" engine?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The GSX650F is a new Bandit with a pretty fairing, plus some other changes to make it more sporty. Undercuts the Price of the Fazer here in the UK. It is a good package both in looks and overall, but the specification is very dull.

I think GSXR people might point and laugh if they can tell what it is.:Flip:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was shopping for my bike I asked about te GSRX650 and the salesman said, "Trust me, you wouldn't like it. The FZ6 will be perfect for you." Glad he steered my the that direction.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Could you scan this article in? I am very curious as I was seriously considering the GSX650F. It is a terrific bike which as someone mentioned based on the new for '07 Bandit. The engine is supposed to be a true gem which is tuned for low and mid range and was never intended to compete with the likes of the FZ6. It was more tuned to compete with the Ninja 650 and other twins - it's torque curve is very flat. I have ready many reputable reviews of the 650F (Bike, Rider, Sport Rider, motorcyclenews.com) and all were very positive. It was described as the sum of the parts is better than the whole. It is different than the FZ6 in a few key ways. One is that it has a steel cage which makes for a 75lbs differential. It definitely more tuned for low rpm. The FZ6 is lighter and probably a little more nimble.

Do you mind scanning the article in? I don't get mcnews and you can't just buy it.
Thanks,
Dani

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode 4 GSXR's before my FZ. The GSXF looked like a budget version of the GSXR so I didn't even consider it. That's why I went for the FZ6 (oh, and I didn't have the money for an FZ1 or Z1000!).

You'd also be suprised how the FZ would keep with a GSXR600 too. It's only in the last few years the GSXR has topped 100bhp. Only if you were up against a racing rider and you're not too experienced would it get too far away. Get the FZ spinning and you'll be fine.

acim

Reaction score
www.acim.net
Yes, GSX650F is based on Bandit, it has steel frame and about 85 horse power. It is quite heavy, 216kg. So, you can compare it in some cases with Fazer, but not with S2 which has almost 100 horse power. S2 is superior to it and you can compare it with GSR600.

Sport-touring bikes good for beginners (low HP):
2007 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer specifications and pictures
2008 Suzuki GSX650F specifications and pictures

Sport-touring bikes:
2008 Yamaha FZ6 S2 specifications and pictures
2006 Suzuki GSR 600 specifications and pictures

Supersport bikes:
2008 Yamaha YZF-R6 specifications and pictures
2008 Suzuki GSX-R600 specifications and pictures

If you compare the last two, I would say R6 is superior, it has much more success on races. You can compare R6 just with Honda CBR600RR.

:: SBK - Official Web Site ::

SBK - superbike - 1000ccm
SS - supersport - 600ccm

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
This was exactly my point - do NOT look at the specifications (i.e. steel frame, 85hp, etc...). Look at the sum of the parts which most reputable magazines said is excellent. Some even say contender for Bike of the Year for the GSX650F. The only thing it has in common with the GSXR is the instrument panel and resemblance of fairing. It is an excellent bike. The FZ6S2 is also an excellent bike, but is different and not quite a direct competitor. Just like the Ninja 650 is not exaclt like the SV650 and both were compared to the FZ6 - they are all very different. While the Ninja 650 is not very highly regarded in the US, it is hgely successful in England. Again, different flavors, but both great motorcycles. To me, I would swap my FZ6S2 engine for something that has more torque down low/mid range for my city commuting. I compared them closely and decided to go with the FZ6. I never rode the GSX650F and would be very curious how they compared in a riding test (not on the track).

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Dry weight - 475 lbs (from Suzuki's site). That's not much for a touring machine, but for a bike with sporty aspirations, weight matters. It makes you more stable on the freeway, sure, but when you have to haul weight through a corner, you feel it. Weight is one reason I chose the FZ6 over the Bandit.

And the suspension is nothing to write home about. The SV1000S and FZ1 (both lighter bikes) are better overall packages, IMO - with the SV1KS, if you're a Suzuki devotee, you get a former year's GSX-R suspension and a slipper clutch.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but the GSX650 has a more upright comfortable riding position than the SV. It weighs approximately 10lbs less than the VFR800 (weight isn't everything ;) ) and is similar in intention - sporty, but good for touring too with comofrtable ergos, nice instruments, large tank, and available luggage. I'm curious to read the review. DO you guys know where I could purchase MCN?

Last edited:

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
I test drove both and went with the Fazer S2 (just) because its got that wow factor which biking is all about.
But believe me the Suzuki is a very good bike and if Im being honest better suited to my daily commute.
Gearbox is much better,torque is better,handling as good but at low speeds it felt much heavier.
I hated the enormous exhaust and felt a little embarassed at the I want to be a GSXR paint scheme but then again I would have bought black.
The engine is a peach and its only on the open road that my Fazer would eat it alive.
It boiled down to one thing,the Fazer is beautiful and to me the GSXF is ugly.:rockon:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I test drove both and went with the Fazer S2 (just) because its got that wow factor which biking is all about.
But believe me the Suzuki is a very good bike and if Im being honest better suited to my daily commute.
Gearbox is much better,torque is better,handling as good but at low speeds it felt much heavier.
I hated the enormous exhaust and felt a little embarassed at the I want to be a GSXR paint scheme but then again I would have bought black.
The engine is a peach and its only on the open road that my Fazer would eat it alive.
It boiled down to one thing,the Fazer is beautiful and to me the GSXF is ugly.:rockon:

I feel like I'm in a time machine.....that thread was a year old!

Still, I agree with your point about the exhaust.