Suspension upgrade

kpedro

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted an opinion from some members on here about my planned upgrades. I'm in the process of piecing together a complete suspension overhaul. I have a set of R6S forks on the way along with the spacer kit. I was thinking of doing the rear while I was at it and stumbled upon a thread on some other site with a link to this Öhlins Shock Yamaha FZ6 2007-09 from SportbikeTrackGear.com . I've always heard that Ohlins were really expensive, but this almost seems reasonable to me. I figure I can do front and rear for under $900 and hopefully totally transform the ride of the bike.

What's your opinion?

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35842-hlins-introduces-its-line-lite-shocks.html

I thought something looked too good to be true... turns out it's the picture of a remote reservoir, remote preload adjustment TTX, when what you'll actually get is an emulsion shock with threaded preload adjusters. :rolleyes: Not only that, the actual shock (YA403) is S46ER1 (46mm single tube emulsion with rebound knob), and the specs they give are for S46PRCL (46mm piggyback res gas charged, with rebound, compression, and length adjustment).

Not saying I wouldn't buy it, at $600 it still sounds like a nice upgrade... but I wouldn't waste my time with a company that can't bother advertising the right product. Check their fleebay and online feedback, too... :rolleyes:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
^^+1

I did the upgrade, to better springs, altered damping rates on the fork and that fully adjustable Ohlins on the back. Absolutely the best mod I did to the bike. You don't know how bad the OEM set up is, until you ride something better....

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I wanted an opinion from some members on here about my planned upgrades. I'm in the process of piecing together a complete suspension overhaul. I have a set of R6S forks on the way along with the spacer kit. I was thinking of doing the rear while I was at it and stumbled upon a thread on some other site with a link to this Öhlins Shock Yamaha FZ6 2007-09 from SportbikeTrackGear.com . I've always heard that Ohlins were really expensive, but this almost seems reasonable to me. I figure I can do front and rear for under $900 and hopefully totally transform the ride of the bike.

What's your opinion?

Interesting. I started that other thread about the "bargain" Ohlins, but at the time there wasn't one listed for the FZ6.

$530 for an Ohlins is quite decent, but like others said, the adjustability appears to be limited and manually adjusted. That said, other companies (Penske, Hyperpro, etc) offer shocks with similar limited functionality for about the same price. Might as well get the Ohlins for that price.

Looks like it's only $506 from IndySuperbikes:
Ohlins Shock S46ER1 Yamaha FZ6 - Indysuperbikes

(Who have it properly listed as fitting the 2004-2007).