Surfboard mount?

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, does anyone know of a surfboard rack that fits the FZ6 or an easy way to make one? Maybe some bendable wire and a bungee cord or something? :confused:

I just need to be able to fit one shortboard (6'). Having the board vertical or horizontal doesn't matter -- I'll only be riding a few miles at most and the speed limit is 25 the whole way.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure nothing like that exist, but if your handy, make one! That would be a cool ass build thread

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
you will have to be extremely careful....having something that size off the back can potentially put it right over/in front of the exhaust..dont melt your board!

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure nothing like that exist, but if your handy, make one! That would be a cool ass build thread
Yeah, it looks like the only option is a bicycle rack or custom build.

This guy used a typical bicycle rack and attached the clamp to a "flat piece of metal" in the tail of his Zero (it's supposed to attach to a vertical seat post), so I think there may be hope for the passenger handles or pegs on the FZ6.

If not, I'll have to start looking for some kind of wire that's bendable like a coat hanger but thicker/sturdier. Or maybe some PVC piping and 180 degree joints...

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
you will have to be extremely careful....having something that size off the back can potentially put it right over/in front of the exhaust..dont melt your board!

True, I'd also be worried about the leash coming untied and ending up in the wheel. That would be a disaster.

Or if it catches a gust of wind just right...
I thought about that, but in all the years I carried a board under one arm on a 30 lb. bicycle I never had a problem with the wind. I'd only be doing 30 MPH at most, so hopefully 600 lbs. of motorcycle + rider is enough to counter that wind speed + any gusts. :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've thought about making some kind of rack for my whitewater kayak, a 6ft playboat. Decided I'll wait on that until I get a bike that doesn't look goofy with a sidecar, then stuff it in the sidecar.

As for the surfboard, I'd probably look at something on the side (no riding 2 up with my mount idea) - The grayish black lines could be attached to the passenger pegs and grab handle possibly, or look at the mounting options for side bags and that kinda thing. The yellow lines would be straps, bungees what have you.

w1tvlh.jpg

This makes it high enough so you're not hiding anything important, and not ridiculously long where turn signals would be hidden. It'll feel a bit like a sail, but lets be honest, there's no other way to do this. Throw some padding on the mounts. Hope you are handy.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Crosswinds would be my first concern!
Personally I wouldn't do it, bad enough on a tall adventure bike in high winds.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you surfing in Philly?

Jersey beaches are only an hour away. The board stays at the beach house, obviously wouldn't consider riding at highway speeds with that strapped to the bike :p

I've thought about making some kind of rack for my whitewater kayak, a 6ft playboat. Decided I'll wait on that until I get a bike that doesn't look goofy with a sidecar, then stuff it in the sidecar.

As for the surfboard, I'd probably look at something on the side (no riding 2 up with my mount idea) - The grayish black lines could be attached to the passenger pegs and grab handle possibly, or look at the mounting options for side bags and that kinda thing. The yellow lines would be straps, bungees what have you.

This makes it high enough so you're not hiding anything important, and not ridiculously long where turn signals would be hidden. It'll feel a bit like a sail, but lets be honest, there's no other way to do this. Throw some padding on the mounts. Hope you are handy.

What would you make it out of? The only things that come to mind are PVC or some kind of metal wire that could be easily bent into the typical U shape like other surfboard racks... I'm not sure what kind of wire is like that though.

Last edited:

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you surfing in Philly?

that was going to be my first question. lol

second would be cross wind, even at 25mph, down the shore that could be playing with fire....

but, hey, on another note. I'm in Philly too. We should get together for a ride!

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Jersey beaches are only an hour away. The board stays at the beach house, obviously wouldn't consider riding at highway speeds with that strapped to the bike :p

What would you make it out of? The only things that come to mind are PVC or some kind of metal wire that could be easily bent into the typical U shape like other surfboard racks... I'm not sure what kind of wire is like that though.

What beaches do you go to? I surf here in Cape May and further north. I think I still have access to the Loran station where the Coast Guard station was.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did a quick seach on the web, but here's a potential option for you if you wanted to buy something versus make it. You may be able to modify it, and attach it to the subframe. Maybe not. From the midwest, so I don't go surfing much....

Rakuten: Rack surfing for surfboard carrier / bicycles for CARVER SURF RACKS Carver surf Lux mini-CSR-MINI bicycles- Shopping Japanese products from Japan

carversurfracks.jpg

So funny.. I JUST saw a guy (few days ago) with exactly THAT mounted to the side of his Ninja with what looked like at least a 6' long board. It was a relatively windy day and he didn't seem to have any issues handling the bike.

Blocky

Reaction score
Visit site
that was going to be my first question. lol

second would be cross wind, even at 25mph, down the shore that could be playing with fire....

but, hey, on another note. I'm in Philly too. We should get together for a ride!

Yeah, is there a local group on here? I've seen a lot of people with PA in their location.

What beaches do you go to? I surf here in Cape May and further north. I think I still have access to the Loran station where the Coast Guard station was.
I stay in Avalon so I usually don't venture much past Stone Harbor or Sea Isle. Strathmere is pretty much the farthest I go on a regular basis.

I've heard a lot about some place called The Cove down in Cape May, but I'm assuming it'd be packed on any good day?