stripped bolt

Reaction score
Visit site
so my fe, lower fairing's and flush front signals all got here today! perfect for the weeked lol...but i was trying to take the rear fender off and the hex head under the exhaust got stipped out :( any idea on how to get that basthard out? i would really like to get it on asap! and how do you take out the license light and turn signals?

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a buddy help turn it with a wrench while i used a set of robo grip pliers and did the same. It worked like a charm.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
by wrench, I mean the hex or torx wrench or driver whichever one it was. I can't remember. Unless I am thinking about another bolt.

Reaction score
Visit site
its the bolt's where you use the allen wrench to loosen/tighten....and the bolt was so tight that it just rounded out the
hole for the allen wrench so it has no contact points anymore

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of options....
1... Can you get a hacksaw blade onto the head? Cut a slot in the head of the bolt and VERY CAREFULLY use a screwdriver to loosen the bolt.
2... Drill a hole in the centre of the bolt-head, then get some "easy-out's" and try to get it out that way. (an example of easy-outs... Tech Tips - Easyout. )
Good luck with getting the bolt out.

:)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another good tool for Stumbles first suggestion is a Dremmel with the cutting disc. Takes about 45 seconds to cut a slot for a flat head screw driver.

Reaction score
Visit site
and i guess the search tool has a grudge against me bc i can't find crap on where to undo the plate light and turn signal wires..quick answer neone? :)

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Take off the left side cover on the tail. The connectors are under there.

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
chances are you used an imperial allen key for a metric bolt...

the light connectors are behind the little side fairing, after the wires run thru a chase under the tail.

Reaction score
Visit site
goodness yamaha sure does use alot of zip ties!!! honestly this is more little work that i though it would be for install on a fe...kinda dissapointed haha

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i bought a cool tool it's "call grabit", what it does it drills out some of the bolt and the next piece grabs it and out it comes 123. Any question just ask away or if i can do anything else im here. Hope it works.

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah actually the dremel i just bought came with a drill out bit...i decided to go ahead and get a nice cordless one so now i'm just waiting for it to charge!!! i'm stoked about getting it on!!! oh and since ya'll been helping me..i guess i can show my lower fairings ;) still need to get them or the bike painted haha i'm thinking either black or blue for the bike?

i'll get some better pics tomorrow when the sun is back out...and after i get the fe on!

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of options....
1... Can you get a hacksaw blade onto the head? Cut a slot in the head of the bolt and VERY CAREFULLY use a screwdriver to loosen the bolt.
2... Drill a hole in the centre of the bolt-head, then get some \"easy-out's\" and try to get it out that way. (an example of easy-outs... Tech Tips - Easyout. )
Good luck with getting the bolt out.

:)
Dam but +1 one on that you beat me to it.

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i actually got them off ebay...but they are beautiful...not a scuff on them...had to tug a little to get the bolts to line up...but hey...thats gunna happen no matter what you spend! but yeah...i couldn't believe they were in that good of shape!

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
www.reflectiveessence.com
I stripped the head on that exact same bolt when installing my Givi cases. I can't believe how tight they are! I just took a pair of robogrips to the head, gave it a turn, and it worked like a charm!